I recently upgraded from the Gen4 to Gen5 service and overall it's been a great experience. One issue I've run across is my T-Mobile cell spot no longer works once the service was switched over from Gen4 to Gen5. It was working just fine for the past year on Gen4 service. I don't use the cell spot for calls but mainly for TXT/MMS messages which work just fine on the high latency. Since switching to Gen5, the cell spot never syncs up with T-Mobile across the Hughesnet service. Is this a known issue? My install is located in a remote area that has no traditional cell coverage so this is a huge loss. Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Was your Gen4 service on an HT1100 series modem or HN9000 modem?
Have you tried disabling Web-Acceleration to see if that helps improve anything?
That aside, cellular extenders that use an internet connection like that aren't exactly supported on Hughesnet and may or may not work. They tend to require a very low latency.
From T-Mobile: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269
Is there a minimum internet speed requirement for T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot? Will satellite internet work?
Minimum internet speeds of 2Mbps downlink and 512Kbps uplink are recommended. Satellite internet isn’t recommended as it affects product performance.
I was previously using the HT1100 modem on my Gen4 service and the cell spot worked great. The T-Mobile cell spot device is connecting over UDP ports 123, 500, and 4500 so I don't think the web acceleration setting will make any difference since this isn't using TCP 80/443. I didn't need to changet the web acceleration settings for the Gen4 service. Are UDP ports 123, 500, and 4500 blocked/filtered on the Gen5 service? I don't use the cell spot for voice calls and it's used exclusively just for TXT/MMS messages. Since this worked so well on the older Gen4 service, I'm really surprised it's no longer working on the improved Gen5 service. It's acting as if something on the Gen5 network is blocking my outgoing UDP packets to the T-Mobile network.
Have you tried disabling uPnP on the Wireless Settings page?
Long shot, try setting a static IP for the unit in the Wireless Settings page as well, and forward the ports to that device as well.
I've got the device pluuged into one of the Ethernet ports in the router. I'll create a DHCP reservation for the MAC address of the cell spot and try enabling port forward or DMZ mode to see if that works. The cell spot doesn't use uPnP so I don't suspect that's the issue but I can try disabling it on the modem as a test. I'll be back at this location in a couple of weeks so I'll report back on this thread if that fixes the issue.
With the HT2000w being so new, there are a few known bugs in it. One has something dealing with uPnP that can cause connectivity issues. Not sure if that has been resolved via software fixes yet or not.
If it's not working after the most recent automated software update a few weeks ago, then chances are those units may not ever work with Gen5 service.