cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech Support - or lack of

New Poster

Tech Support - or lack of

I see threads get quickly locked here before resolutions are posted.  I see we have "distinugished" members on here who like to get snarky with newbees before the threads are locked.  I've also just spent 1 hour 5 minutes in a chat box with Tech support where they managed to type a whopping 12 lines and then went silent for 48 minutes.  It seems the only answer you get to trying to report a connection issue is "well it looks OK from this end".  I did save the transcript though.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Tech Support - or lack of

@Darrin 

The topic in question already had an answer, and it was likely closed to keep additional people from piggybacking on it.  

Satellite internet has much higher latency that ground based service, and that high latency, coupled with the dramatic increase in system load as a result of the pandemic, which results in congestion, can cause issues with streaming.  A couple of things you can try are reducing the resolution of the stream, whether locally or at the source, and turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  

Practically every HughesNet advertisement, whether physical or digital, as well as the subscriber agreement itself, state that speed and uninterrupted service cannot be guaranteed.  However, if you feel the salesperson misrepresented the service during the sales call you can request a sales call review by starting a new topic in the "My Account and Billing" section and asking for such, being sure to describe the discrepancy.   If it's determined that this is the case, you may have recourse.  

For reference, you can check your signal strength here, but it is neither a percentage, nor a value comparable to other service types.  Signal strength also varies from beam to beam, as well as one's location within their beam.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks, that was helpful.  I'd already tried turning off the data usage option.  I'm showing a signal strength of 115, but (as you point out) it doesn't show fluctuations.  As we were told that we could stream out video content and that this is clearly not happening, I do believe the service was misrepresented... unless there is an issue with the installation that can be fixed.  I feel that the buffering issues that are clearly visible on YouTube indictate a technical problem.  At low-res, the video should be able to download faster than I can watch it.  I'll see if I can get someone to send me a technician when one is in the area.  I paid for the equipment upfront and for a range extender, so I was expecting some value for my money.  I wasn't impressed that my old phone number couldn't be transferred either, but you don't discover this until everything is set up and the technician has run for the hills.  :-)

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Darrin 

From my experience of seeing a variety of signal strengths over the years on this community, a level of 115 is actually quite good.  For the most part, it's when you see them starting to drop into the 60s on a regular basis that it may indicate some type of problem, whether that be with aiming or equipment.  With that said, seeing any significant drop on a regular basis from what it normally is can indicate the same.

Though you can certainly try to get a tech out to your location, unless they see a genuine need for such it may be difficult to do so.  My advice would be to let one of the reps here run remote diagnostics on your equipment to see if anything's amiss, and then if there is, they can likely schedule a visit for you.  Though I'm not going to downplay the phone or chat reps, as they can most definitely be helpful, the reps in this community are corporate based reps who tend to have better knowledge and abilities.   

The reps here are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, though Damian is occasionally on in the evenings.  They usually reply within a working day.  

@Liz @Remy @Damian 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@Darrin,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing this. Please private message me the phone number associated with your account and I will begin running diagnostics on the equipment.

-Damian