Tech Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jphi8821
New Poster

Tech Support

I keep trying to watch a movie and it is telling me my internet is slow so do I want to watch?  I just purchased this less than 3 weeks ago - why am I running slow - and what can I do to correct this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The first thing to do is to show your speeds by running tests. See the instructions here:https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

That will show whether your speeds are as advertised, lower, too low, etc.  You also need to know that due to the latency inherent to satellite internet and to the congestion (lots of people doing data intensive stuff such as streaming), you may not be able to solve this. Don't give up, though; just run the speed tests according to the instructions and post the results. That's the first step. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jphi8821 

A couple of things to check would be to first, ensure you aren't out of plan data and subject to the Fair Access Policy as a result, and second, if you aren't out of data, your service speed, which you can check at testmy.net.  Posted below is the process for speed testing when someone is experiencing slow speed and needs help, but you can also just use the instructions to run a test or two for the sake of checking to make sure your speed is adequate.

If you do have adequate speed, it's possible that the problem is related to system congestion and the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, the combination of which can cause issues with streaming.  A couple of things you can try are reducing the resolution of the stream, whether with the app being used or at the streaming service's source, and turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Liz

Good morning jphi8821, 

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!