cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing the equipment

Highlighted
New Poster

Testing the equipment

I haven't yet had HughesNet equipment installed. But if I do, if I use a smartphone in connection with it rather than a computer, would I be able to test the equipment if I had a wired connection to the modem from my smartphone by using an ethernet cable together with either an ethernet to mico usb adapter or an ethernet to usb adapter together with an usb to micro usb otg cable. Would such be satisfactory?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Testing the equipment

Timothy, I never tried one of those adapters but it should work. The idea is to eliminate the router in the equation and that would do it. Don't know if there is any speed loss inherent with those adapters though.
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for the help, BirdDog.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Hello Timothy,

The amount of communication changes would warrant the test inaccurate, less accurate than wifi to be honest.  You would be going through 2-3 different communication protocols, and be depending on another device as well as software on the phone to do all that heavy lifting, while trying to also use it... That aside if the phone in question supports only USB 2.0, you would at absolute best get 10Mbps, but would have to expect half that as best due to software required to run, and the active signal adapters. So if you have a 10Mbps plan or higher... You are going to have serious issues.

Thanks,
C0RR
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Great points, why I added the disclaimer:
Don't know if there is any speed loss inherent with those adapters though.
Good you listed the actual limitations.