Hughesnet Community

Text 'FAST' for Hughenet service - WHAT? fAST?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lake_woman
Senior

Text 'FAST' for Hughenet service - WHAT? fAST?

Stop it! I am sick and tired of the excruciatingly slow service. Yet you keep advertising for MORE customers that will have a dramatic effect on the rest of us and those that your ads have duped.

High usage causes drops in speed. DUH! Over selling causes drops in speed.

Over selling and mismanaging are the problems. Let's add GREED to the mix. Oh, yes, non-concern about current customers. Why should Hughes care? They already have us under contract with different actualities than the "TEXT FAST" reality.

SCAM

13 REPLIES 13
happytexann
Senior

@lake_woman, I feel your pain - I have a thread in this community started about 3 weeks ago with the same issue, advertising for new customers while not meeting the demands of existing customers and exactly to your point. However, I have been assisted by @Liz, the moderator of the community and @GabeU. Although my speeds after 4PM and on weekends are ridiculously slow, I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed working on it. I've read through a majority of the threads about slow speeds and many are being resolved for the better.

I know you don't want to hear -'just hang on, we're working on it', but I have to believe, because it's my only option at this point, that HN will get the slow speed problems resolved. And, I was at .34 MBPS last night - happy? NO, but believing they are working on it.

@happytexann wrote:

@lake_woman@, I feel your pain - I have a thread in this community started about 3 weeks ago with the same issue, advertising for new customers while not meeting the demands of existing customers and exactly to your point. However, I have been assisted by @Liz, the moderator of the community and @GabeU. Although my speeds after 4PM and on weekends are ridiculously slow, I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed working on it. I've read through a majority of the threads about slow speeds and many are being resolved for the better.

I know you don't want to hear -'just hang on, we're working on it', but I have to believe, because it's my only option at this point, that HN will get the slow speed problems resolved. And, I was at .34 MBPS last night - happy? NO, but believing they are working on it.

The problem is that Hughes has oversold Gen5. They are squeezing the life out of our access.

I recommend that you start complaining using social media. This way the world can see what is going on with Hughes.

The Twitter account for corporate is @Hughes@_Corp. You can also add your voice to @AskHughes while also actually reading the pages and pages of unsatisied customers.

While this group can be helpful, they are way over their heads at this time.

@lake_woman, I went and read the pages and pages of complaints and problems on Twitter as recommended -- and disheartened. Although I do agree that all Social Media give us all a voice, I don't think it will help. I've called every provider including our cell phone provider and am out of options. I used my FB account when we first got the system to advise those in the Texas Panhandle who were considering a switch, NOT to - and agree, they have oversold the beams on Gen5. Here's hoping they find a solution.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Perhaps you should try someone else, then.  It's still a free country, so you're free to switch to a different provider,  and this might actually show you that no service is perfect.  HN has a million customers and the majority are happy with the service. The agency you all bring up over and over has rated HN as the No 1 service provider of satellite internet. The company is  doing fine and they provide a very good service for people in rural areas, and a great majority of their customers are happy. If you're not, you have the right to choose someone else. 

@maratsade wrote:

Perhaps you should try someone else, then.  It's still a free country, so you're free to switch to a different provider,  and this might actually show you that no service is perfect.

Many people live in areas where HughesNet is the only high-speed provider.  So simply switching to a different provider is not an option.

@maratsade wrote:

HN has a million customers and the majority are happy with the service.

You may be right.

@maratsade wrote:

The agency you all bring up over and over has rated HN as the No 1 service provider of satellite internet.

What criteria did they use to rate HN as the "No 1 service provider of satellite internet"?  I didn't see what standard they used.  Was it simply number of subscribers?  Then you could literally say Hades is the Number 1 provider of eternal torment.  Was it by number of claimed satisfied customers?  If so, was that proportional, or just by volume?  Or was it an award that was "bought" by HughesNet?  Or was it a legtimate award painstakingly decided upon after reviewing volumes of data?

I actually don't know.  I was wondering if you did, since you brought it up.

@maratsade wrote:

The company is  doing fine and they provide a very good service for people in rural areas

They absolutely provide a needed service for people in rural areas.  I don't know if the company is doing "fine".  I haven't looked into that.

I do hear they are coupling with a company that is going to provide LEO satellites, which is the wave of the future of internet.  They also have some contract for business/govt/military for internet access.  I don't remember the exact details.  That does sound like the company is doing well in those areas.

Of course, a company doing "fine" doesn't always translate into a company doing "fine" for all its customer segments.  They could be doing fine overall but a segment of their company could be doing not so good.

Consider ANet.  (I think that is the name of the company.)  Overall, they are doing fine, but the segment that puts out the MMO game Wildstar is tanking.  Badly.  It's actually kind of sad to watch, even if it is a highly deserved death.

@maratsade wrote:

and a great majority of their customers are happy.

Cite souce

maratsade

"What criteria did they use to rate HN as the "No 1 service provider of satellite internet"?  I didn't see what standard they used. "

The report is titled Measuring Broadband America. It's 78 pages long and may provide all of the answers you seek.  It can be found via a Google search, as can all the data that can answer your other questions and concerns.

@maratsade wrote:

"What criteria did they use to rate HN as the "No 1 service provider of satellite internet"?  I didn't see what standard they used. "

The report is titled Measuring Broadband America. It's 78 pages long and may provide all of the answer you seek.  It can be found via a Google search, as can all the data that can answer your other questions and concerns.

I read the report and nowhere did it say HughesNet was the "No 1 service provider of satellite internet," which is what you claimed.

Perhaps I missed it.  Could you dig up the relevant quote, since the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

I will, however, quote some parts of it.  Mind you, I am only quoting for HughesNet, not anyone else.  So no comparisons are being made or claimed.

This report is also from 2016, a bit old.  But the most recent one.

Hughes’ actual vs. advertised speeds ratio went down from 203% to 152%

The best performing ISPs, when measured by this metric, are Optimum, Charter, TWC, Verizon-Fiber and Hughes; more than 85% of their panelists were able to attain an actual median download speed of at least 95% of the advertised download speed

On the other hand, the performance during the testing period of both Hughes' and ViaSat’s satellite-based services and Frontier’s fiber-based service deteriorated this year

Hughes whose packet loss increased from 0.2% to 0.8%

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, in this report did it call HughesNet "number one" at anything.

Fair note: This report was written before Jupiter 2 (I just love that they called it that even though I am not a fan of the show!) was launched.  I expect that things are quite different now.  Would be interested to read a more up-to-date report.

@maratsade The proof is in the pudding. My beam and gateway are perfectly capable of giving me more than acceptable speeds as seen in speed tests. After a few minutes the speed drops to a slow crawl - as seen in speed tests.

Something is preventing continual acceptable speeds.

There is nothing wrong with the equipment as seen in super speeds. The super speeds are short lived, as short as a few minutes.

Once I had a speed of 16 Mbps and took advantage of it for all of the downloads and upgrades that were waiting for acceptable speed. I had to use that speed during the 2am-8am time. Never again was that speed realized. This morning, as usual, download speed of .6 Kbps.

Telling people that they can leave Hughes does not solve the Hughes problem. That is what needs to be done.

As my beam and gateway are more than capable of delivering the appropriate speeds, why do the speeds suddenly drop minutes later?

I will not stop in my quest to find answers and neither you nor this community can stop me.

I have had 100% success in going straight to corporations on Twitter. I tried using the phone and emails and their support sight. When I found they were on Twitter, all it took was one tweet and I got results. I can only hope that I can get the same results with Hughes. It is worth a try.

@lake_woman wrote:

I have had 100% success in going straight to corporations on Twitter. I tried using the phone and emails and their support sight. When I found they were on Twitter, all it took was one tweet and I got results. I can only hope that I can get the same results with Hughes. It is worth a try.

I'll have to remember that.  Though with ViaSat opening up nationally in a couple weeks and offering 150G unthrottled, I'll be gone from HughesNet very shortly.  So it may be moot.

@lighthope1 Please tell me more about ViaSat.

@lake_woman wrote:

@lighthope1 Please tell me more about ViaSat.

ViaSat is another internet satellite service.  HughesNet's main rival.  Used to be called WildBlue, then Excede (or some spelling).

They just launched another satellite, ViaSat-2 and it is opening up this week, going national by the end of the month. So they say.

Unlike HughesNet, they offer plans that don't throttle you until you hit 150gigs.  Rather than divided by data, their plans are divided by speed.  Faster speed == more money.

Am told they are planning a third satellite, ViaSat-3, in a couple years.

Mind you, it is a satellite internet company, and they have problems with conjestion as well.  Go to their forums (https://community.viasat.com/viasat) and you'll see complaints there too.  But nothing like the hostility you see directed toward HughesNet.  I don't know if that is because they provide better service, because their customers are happier, or if their moderate their forums more heavily.  Go and look for yourself and make your own judgement.

Even if HughesNet hadn't messed up their recent tech support issue with me and earned a subsciption cancellation, I still would be leaving them. That 150g data plan rollstomps HughesNet.

maratsade

I lurk on their forums and I beg to differ with you -- the complaints are basically the same as here.  But I think people are entitled to drop a service and pick another one if they so desire.  And they definitely should if they're not happy with the service.