cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks

Thanks

I do not have a problem with Hughesnet as a whole, just a problem with some of the subcontractors. In July 2013, I will be a customer for 4 years. During those 4 years I did not have any problems until October 2012. If anyone asks me, I would highly recommend Hughesnet. Why? They provided a service I needed and wanted.
I have tried wireless internet from cell phone towers. That service was only available from midnight to about 5 am. My only other option was dialup. The dialup offered was slower than molasses on a cold Christmas morning. To download a 5kb picture I would stop surfing for 20-30 minutes. Web pages loaded in 2-3 minutes. I could not download music, watch YouTube or even be able to upload data. Ordering Hughesnet opened up a whole new world for me.
I am not saying I never had downtime. Weather is a factor. But, I grew up on a farm so weather is always a factor in everything. The company cannot control the weather. It would be like telling the hurricane to move to a different area and not hit a coast line. Or tell the earthquakes in California to stop we just did not have time to deal with them. Strong rain or snow does cause problems. To my understanding, Hughesnet works from a direct beam sent from a satellite in space to a satellite and receiver in my yard. This allows me to have internet to connect to that famous World Wide Web, to have more information than I can process at my fingertips.
When problems started in October 2012, I brushed it off as me finally having my dream job. Working from home and being on the internet 16-18 hours a day. Then I thought it could possibly be my new computer. Maybe it had a glitch, maybe I had picked up a Trojan horse or some malware. When taking my computer in nothing was found on my computer. Tech told me everything was fine, no problems and internet worked great.
So bad home I go after spending $100 on something that did not have any problems. When I started using a different computer at home and experienced the same problems, I knew it was not my electronics. Laptop worked great at McDonalds or my brother’s DSL connection. Take laptop to neighbour that has an HN9000 modem. Everything worked great. Replaced my router, replaced networking cable and still experienced the same problem.
Called the tech support number, 9 out of 10 calls resulted in me being told the problem was with my computer. They told me that tests were performed and nothing was found wrong. Strange how the internet at my house web pages would load in HTML code, if they even loaded. It took me 3 months just to get a tech person to my house. I would get 501 errors, connection timed out, even errors that I never knew about.
But let me divulge a little more in to my experience with tech support. This is contracted out and really this cannot be held again Hughesnet as a whole. Yes, something needs to be done about it but what is the question. The call center is located in India. I understand it is probably cheaper for the company. They spend billions in putting satellites into space; they are looking for ways to save money. This happens with any company. What I cannot understand and I personally hold against Hughesnet is the sub-par service. I have had CSR’s almost tell me I am crazy, I do not know what I am talking about or one that even went to far as to give me a number to a Haz-Mat waste cleanup telling me it was for Level 4 tech support.
I have close to 100 case numbers. None of these people were interested in actually helping me. They promised me return phone calls in 1 hour that never happened, 24-48 hour return phone calls that never happened, that a tech would be at my house in 24 hours that never happened. Stated they were turning my case over to level 4 support and my problem would be resolved. Again that never happened. When I would call and complain about service, get so frustrated that I called them idiots and ask if they even knew the English language, within 6 hours my internet would get the following error: Registration Failed: NOCC Error : Antenna Pointing Validation Failure.
Very strange how the internet just stops after a call to tech support. I may not have been working correctly, but it totally stops working after I call tech support. I do not have proof, but I honestly believe that the call center people are changing something on how my modem connects to the internet.
Have I been rude to the tech support people? Yes, I am sure I have. But to have one of them tell me I do not know what I am talking about makes me mad. Especially when they tell me that the lights are flashing on my modem, or that no the weather is bad in my area. Since these people are NOT in my house would really like to know how they can see my modem. Hell, they are not even in the same country let alone state so they do not even know what the weather is like in my area. Then the people have the nerve to ask me if I am SURE there is not a problem with the weather. I guess these people have some type of magical powers that I do not know about.
The latest problem has happened when I posted in the Hughesnet community. I ask about the download time. It has changed and customers were not informed. One of the ladies that manage this stated that yes it changed but compensated me with tokens. I watch my internet usage and rarely use tokens. But I accepted them. I understand she can only do so much and has to follow the rules/regulations of her employment. The next morning I call tech support because I was supposed to be in free download time. As stated in the community free download time for all non-Gen4 customers changed to 2 am – 7 am in our time zone. This is not on Eastern Time any longer.
When calling the tech support I was told again, I did not know what I was talking about. The download time for me personally was between 1 am – 6 am, not 2 am – 7 am. Told the guy he was an idiot because a corporate employee stated different. This guy again stated I did not know what I was talking about and told me there was not a problem. He stated that on Tuesday morning my download time was between 3 am – 5 am and on Wednesday my download time was between 2 am – 5 am. Again I told him if the time is different on each day then that means there is a problem. Yes, I have called him an idiot several times by now. He told me that he did not see the problem. I ask to speak with a supervisor. He places me on hold and come back 2-4 minutes later to tell him his supervisor agrees with him and that there is not a problem.
Hmmm. I ask to speak with a supervisor again. Placed on hold and he comes back to tell me the supervisor will not take the call. There is not a problem and he is busy dealing with others. Hmm. I called him an idiot again and ask if he actually understood English. Again I ask to speak with a supervisor. He keeps putting me off telling me there is not a problem. This goes on for over 20 minutes. I really question who runs this company on Hughesnet behalf. Customers request should be honoured not put off and told they do not have a problem.
When finally speaking with a supervisor, he tells me that I do not have a problem and that if I did it would correct itself. When asking to send this to a different level of tech support he placed me on hold. Come back and tells me that he was told I did not have a problem. This person told me they checked and my download time is between the hours of 2 am – 7 am my time. Well if it is before 7 am my time and I the bandwidth is going down, there is problem. I am being charged when I should be in free time.
I have had lots of problems since October 2012, with more than 100 case numbers and calls to tech support. All I know for sure someone is screwing with my account. I keep getting State Code: 17 = Terminal registration failure. If my system was working at one moment then there is no reason why it would go out. This is not the first time it has happened. It only happens after dealing with the call center. Every time I talk with them and refuse to accept their answer that I do not have a problem, my modem becomes invalidated.
For Hughesnet as a whole, I think it is a good company. I have spoken with some wonderful people that have been over backwards trying to help me. Sara and Suz in the Hughesnet community are sweet and wonderful. Stephanie in the corporate office has taken several vocal rants from me; Bradley, an engineer who stayed late one Friday night getting my service up and running again. It is people like these that have my respect knowing they want to help the customer and willing to go above and beyond their job.
As for the call centers and even some of the on-site tech’s these people are not concerned with making sure customers have service. Most of them do not even speak English. These are people that learned English for a job. That is like someone learning to drive a tractor-trailer. You learn something for a job but you really do not understand everything about the procedure.
When asking to speak with a supervisor or someone that has English as a first language these people should comply. They should not deny the customer’s request. Whenever I request this the CSR tells me they speak English. I have even ask these people to speak slowly so I can understand them. Sadly, that did not help. They spoke faster so I could not understand what they were telling me.
It should not have taken me 4 months to get past level 1 tech support with my first problem. It is almost the end of June 2013 and I am still having problems. Will I still be having problems come October 2013? I wonder if corporate will solve this or will I still be dealing with India tech support. Customers might find it easier to deal with overseas tech support if someone placed an American supervisor in call centers.
It would be nice if corporate looked into this problem. I wonder if I am the only person that has this problem. I cannot be the only one that experiences this.
Once again, I would like to thank Stephanie and Bradley. Without these two people I would not have internet.
For anyone that wants to bash/gripe about their service please go to a different place. I do not want to read it.
Sara or Suz thank you again for everything and if possible please let Stephanie and Bradley know I appreciate their help.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Thanks

Sara, I am upgrading to Gen4. Thanks again for your assistance. You are one amazing lady :-)

Hi Kybunnies, thank you so much for the post and I'm very happy to hear that you have been taken care of. Please know that really do value your input and I appreciate your candor. I'm very glad that Sara and I could help. Please keep me updated and let me know if you ever need our assistance.

Smiley Happy
Suz

Hi KYbunnies, I think you'll really enjoy Gen4. Please let me know how everything goes. Suz
Highlighted

KYbunnies, we're excited for your Gen4 install today - I'm glad we could help Smiley Happy

Hi Sara, I have a question, the Lan light keeps flashing. It does not stay solid. Is this part of the change?

Thanks again for everything.

Hi KY bunnies, that just means that you are receiving and sending data. If the lights stops flashing then we need find out what is happening. Smiley Wink Suz

Okay Just wondering when I had the 9000 it was always solid.

FYI: Be prepared for lots of questions. lol :-)

Yes it is faster.