cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Brilliance of Windows 10 Automatic Updates...(sarcasm)

Distinguished Professor III

Re: The Brilliance of Windows 10 Automatic Updates...(sarcasm)

Mindbender,

Just what is your problem?  If all you are going to do is throw insults, I wish you would just not even bother responding to any of my posts.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

When I had Windows 8.1 and earlier, I would always keep them set to check for updates but to let me download and install them by choice.  I have my folks' set like that now, too.  Of course, now with the platform updates that are evidently going to start, there won't be any picking and choosing of thing you know may cause a problem with your specific computer.   

Come to think of it, that might be why I never had the Windows 10 try to install on my machines, though I never had them show up in the updates, either.  Just that annoying Windows 10 upgrade icon in the taskbar. 

Windows just keeps getting better and better.  Sheesh.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Honorary Alumnus

When quality control really went down the tubes at MS I adopted the policy of disabling updates and then closely monitor the dslr Microsoft and Security forums to see which of the current crop of KB's was giving issues.

It finally got too cumbersome and I just tossed in the towel entirely on updating the Win7 machine.

Certainly not a recommended approach.

Amanda,

I like Chrome, and only primarily use IE because it's what I'm used to and have always used.  But, not only do I like Chrome, I like the way it loads pages differently from IE, as well.  With IE, when some pages have a lot of little things and such to load, it will wait until they are all loaded before you can freely scroll, whereas Chrome doesn't do that.  Chrome lets you have complete access right away, even before all of the other nonsense is loaded.  And I'm not speaking of ads, but things like links to other stories and pages and such, graphics, pictures, etc. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that I will use Chrome primarily from now on.

The only thing that gives me a little pause is that I've seen people say on here, and other places, that Chrome isn't great when it comes t security, and that it tracks you like crazy. 

I've tried Firefox and I absolutely DO NOT like it one bit.  If I had nothing else to use I would use it, but, with a choice, it will sit in a corner until it's actually needed.

Aw, no cute cat pictures on the cell phone.  Here's an 18 pound fat cat picture, just for you...

Notice the left leg is missing something?  He was born like that and actually has a pad on the bottom.  LOL.

No, definitely not.  I would check the updates, too, though probably not to the extent you did.  When updates would show up I would usually wait for a couple of days and then see if there were any articles written regarding any bad ones.  I'd sometimes check the Microsoft boards, too, but got kind of lazy after a while.  LOL.   

Highlighted

*cough*   LINUX   *cough*
Associate Professor

I have only had one issue with 1607....  Cold boots = no go, but if I reset a few times I can eventually get windows to load.  Have been going into standby ever since instead of shutting down e.e

What a cutie. You should put one of those stroller tennis balls on it. 

I do know Chrome tracks you, but I don't mind. I let Google take all my data and location history. It has helped. I one time forgot when I last went to my doctor, because my appointments are a month exactly after my last visit and I didn't have an appointment card. Google location history had me tracked and told me the last time I went there. It also tells you where you parked, great for Maryland area where we have lots of garages! 

I also use the Android app "Google Opinion Rewards" that generally uses your location history to see what stores you've visited or your general interests and sends you 3-4 question surveys and pay a few dimes and nickles in Google Play Credit for answering them.

Now I am starting to sound like a Google fanboy.. oh well.. when you love a product! Smiley Happy

Nah, he gets around just fine.  He's six, and considerably overweight, so I do worry about his hips when he gets older because of his limping.  If I get his weight down he'll be much better off later. 

I actually don't mind the tracking all that much, it's just I don't want them holding any of my info when I pay bills and such.  Them holding onto that sort of info, if they do, and IE might do the same, just worries me a little.  The security thing, so to speak.  But, even in the hour I've been on this evening, IE has already frozen.  It's really getting to me.  LOL.  I think I'll try reinstalling, and if it still happens afterward, that will be it and I will go to Chrome full time.   

I have Linux Mint on another computer, and though I like it very much, I could never use it for my everyday needs.