Hughesnet Community

The Brilliance of Windows 10 Automatic Updates...(sarcasm)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The Brilliance of Windows 10 Automatic Updates...(sarcasm)

As we all know, Windows 10 has changed the Windows OS landscape by using us as guinea pigs to test their updates.  After the Anniversary Update, I noticed that my system would simply freeze up every now and again.  As it turns out, I'm not the only one.  In addition to that, the IE11 that I primarily use freezes up three or four times a day now, as well.  Pages also seem to randomly refresh for no particular reason, and some get stuck during that refresh, too.  They've actually admitted to the problem with the OS freezes, but only partially, saying only particular systems are affected, which turns out to NOT be true.     

One solution they put forth is to roll back to a previous build.  Well, that's great, until Windows 10 automatically updates to the Anniversary Edition again, which shouldn't be too long after you restart, and which we can't stop from happening. 

Thanks, Microsoft.  We really appreciate the privilege of testing your products for you.  I suppose those who upgraded to Windows 10 for free don't really have much of a leg to stand on, but what about those who paid for Windows 10, including those that purchased a computer with Windows 10 already installed?   

Again, thank you so much, Microsoft.  You really know how to endear your customers.

No, this has absolutely zero to do with Hughesnet, but I'm just wondering how many of you are experiencing the same type of thing.   

19 REPLIES 19
Amanda

Hi Gabe

I had to rollback to the previous build after going to 1607. I've chosen to defer updates, however I recently learned this only defers them for about two months until MS forces you to do it for "security" reasons. Even after choosing to defer updates, like you mentioned, when I wanted to shut down it wanted to update!!! I went ahead and spent my whole last Saturday re-installing my video card drivers, chipset drivers, cleaning up registry, etc.. Also, found out some people were having terrible boot times and freezes had something to do with Intel Rapid Storage technology drivers.. Mine needed updating too as per my HP Assistant program. My video games were giving me tons of problems after 1607 update, now after re-installing drivers and making sure mostly everything is updated the games are working okay again. Still get some frame rate issues but its bearable. 

You can disable IE11 through the Control Panel, but dont think it will help much. Mine already is. I found that Google Chrome runs at startup (meaning connects to the internet too!!) if you have some plug-ins installed.. I'd recommend looking at your start up in Task Manager to see if that's the case for some of you too.. You can also see your network connections too. Task manager has turned into a really useful tool for me now as far as monitoring connections to my system and such.

Amanda
GabeU

If it continues I'm definitely going to be looking at using Chrome on a more permanent basis.  Right now I only use it for a few things, but if this keeps up, and I think it will, IE11 is going to have to go by the wayside.  I don't care for Edge, so Chrome it will be. 

Microsoft is trying to say it's only affecting a computer with this, or only affecting a computer with that, but it's nonsense.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  I knew this forced update thing would eventually cause a problem with them using us as guinea pigs.  

The entire computer freezing up doesn't happen nearly as often, but it still happens. 

I could try the rollback and defer the updates, and maybe in the two months or so it waits to force them they will have released a fix or an updated Anniversary update.  My notebook doesn't have Pro, so no deferral, but I only use it as a testing computer for programs I want to use on this and my main laptop, and with not using it much I haven't seen it happen on that, as of yet.    

Oh well.  Life could be worse.  My Keurig could stop working and I'd have no coffee...knock on wood.  LOL. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Not to rub it in anyone's nose but I knew this would be a problem way back in the beginning when they said consumer versions would be used to test updates before rolling them out to Enterprise customers. One of a handful of reasons I'm not going to 10 unless they makes drastic policy and feature changes.
GabeU

I'm lucky enough that I still have my Windows 8 disk that came with my Dell laptop, which will also work with my notebook, due to them both having the embedded product keys (I've used it on both before).  I'm thinking about at least reinstalling Windows 8 on the laptop, then upgrading to 8.1, of course.  I'm stuck with W10 on this (desktop), though, due to using my purchased OEM upgrade copy of Windows 8.1 being installed on my folks' laptop.

I saw it coming, as well, but took the dive anyway.  With the exception of the very recent problems, I actually like Windows 10.  Sure, us being update guinea pigs caused this, and may cause other problems in the future, but hopefully they will iron things out.  I know...that's a lot of hoping.  LOL. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

but hopefully they will iron things out
Lol, I got some ocean front property in Arkansas I'll sell you.
GabeU

That's awesome!  I've been looking for some.  How much? 

Got a bridge, too? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I like my 8.1 Pro just fine. It is pretty much 10 without all the invasive junk and inability to control updates in any real fashion. Not to mention the guinea pig part.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Changes coming for the format of updates in 7/8/8.1

Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
In our announcement earlier in May, we introduced a Convenience Rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and a shift to monthly rollups of non-security updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. Based on your feedback, today we’re announcing some new changes for servicing Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. These changes also apply to Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2. (Note: A rollup is multiple patches rolled together into a single update.)

Why we’re introducing Windows servicing changes
Historically, we have released individual patches for these platforms, which allowed you to be selective with the updates you deployed. This resulted in fragmentation where different PCs could have a different set of updates installed leading to multiple potential problems:

Various combinations caused sync and dependency errors and lower update quality
Testing complexity increased for enterprises
Scan times increased
Finding and applying the right patches became challenging
Customers encountered issues where a patch was already released, but because it was in limited distribution it was hard to find and apply proactively

for further information
»blogs.technet.microsoft. ··· ows-8-1/

From a dlsr thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30926904-Further-simplifying-servicing-models-for-Windows-7-and-Wi...

Personally I am down to only two remaining Windows based machines and while not recommended they both have had updates disabled and those are seldom used.

I just don't think much of the direction that Microsoft is heading.

Amanda

Hey Gabe

Chrome is a favorite of mine as I use it on my work pc, cellphone (android) and home pc. I sync all of them to share bookmarks and use all the google products (drive, calendar, youtube red). Of course I only sync my phone when I am on my work Wi-Fi as my 500MB cell plan only covers basic on-the-go email checking and my texting apps for the month. No youtube videos or cute cat pictures while I'm waiting in line at the DMV.

I also like that Chrome has a built-in task manager! 

I have not experienced the full on freezing you mentioned, but until I re-installed my video card drivers after the update, when I would log in, my desktop wallpaper would disappear and freeze, then unfreeze and re-appear. I think it also has something to do with the fact that I am/have to use the beta drivers for my NVIDIA to be compatible with virtual reality so they are somewhat unstable. Once they release the linux version for my favorite game, I may just make the switch.
GabeU

Mindbender,

Just what is your problem?  If all you are going to do is throw insults, I wish you would just not even bother responding to any of my posts.   

GabeU

When I had Windows 8.1 and earlier, I would always keep them set to check for updates but to let me download and install them by choice.  I have my folks' set like that now, too.  Of course, now with the platform updates that are evidently going to start, there won't be any picking and choosing of thing you know may cause a problem with your specific computer.   

Come to think of it, that might be why I never had the Windows 10 try to install on my machines, though I never had them show up in the updates, either.  Just that annoying Windows 10 upgrade icon in the taskbar. 

Windows just keeps getting better and better.  Sheesh.   

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

When quality control really went down the tubes at MS I adopted the policy of disabling updates and then closely monitor the dslr Microsoft and Security forums to see which of the current crop of KB's was giving issues.

It finally got too cumbersome and I just tossed in the towel entirely on updating the Win7 machine.

Certainly not a recommended approach.

GabeU

Amanda,

I like Chrome, and only primarily use IE because it's what I'm used to and have always used.  But, not only do I like Chrome, I like the way it loads pages differently from IE, as well.  With IE, when some pages have a lot of little things and such to load, it will wait until they are all loaded before you can freely scroll, whereas Chrome doesn't do that.  Chrome lets you have complete access right away, even before all of the other nonsense is loaded.  And I'm not speaking of ads, but things like links to other stories and pages and such, graphics, pictures, etc. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that I will use Chrome primarily from now on.

The only thing that gives me a little pause is that I've seen people say on here, and other places, that Chrome isn't great when it comes t security, and that it tracks you like crazy. 

I've tried Firefox and I absolutely DO NOT like it one bit.  If I had nothing else to use I would use it, but, with a choice, it will sit in a corner until it's actually needed.

Aw, no cute cat pictures on the cell phone.  Here's an 18 pound fat cat picture, just for you...

Notice the left leg is missing something?  He was born like that and actually has a pad on the bottom.  LOL.

GabeU

No, definitely not.  I would check the updates, too, though probably not to the extent you did.  When updates would show up I would usually wait for a couple of days and then see if there were any articles written regarding any bad ones.  I'd sometimes check the Microsoft boards, too, but got kind of lazy after a while.  LOL.   

ericdanielle

*cough*   LINUX   *cough*
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I have only had one issue with 1607....  Cold boots = no go, but if I reset a few times I can eventually get windows to load.  Have been going into standby ever since instead of shutting down e.e
Amanda

What a cutie. You should put one of those stroller tennis balls on it. 

I do know Chrome tracks you, but I don't mind. I let Google take all my data and location history. It has helped. I one time forgot when I last went to my doctor, because my appointments are a month exactly after my last visit and I didn't have an appointment card. Google location history had me tracked and told me the last time I went there. It also tells you where you parked, great for Maryland area where we have lots of garages! 

I also use the Android app "Google Opinion Rewards" that generally uses your location history to see what stores you've visited or your general interests and sends you 3-4 question surveys and pay a few dimes and nickles in Google Play Credit for answering them.

Now I am starting to sound like a Google fanboy.. oh well.. when you love a product! 🙂
GabeU

Nah, he gets around just fine.  He's six, and considerably overweight, so I do worry about his hips when he gets older because of his limping.  If I get his weight down he'll be much better off later. 

I actually don't mind the tracking all that much, it's just I don't want them holding any of my info when I pay bills and such.  Them holding onto that sort of info, if they do, and IE might do the same, just worries me a little.  The security thing, so to speak.  But, even in the hour I've been on this evening, IE has already frozen.  It's really getting to me.  LOL.  I think I'll try reinstalling, and if it still happens afterward, that will be it and I will go to Chrome full time.   

GabeU

I have Linux Mint on another computer, and though I like it very much, I could never use it for my everyday needs.