cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The all to familiar problem, slow - slow - slow

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: The all to familiar problem, slow - slow - slow

@MarkJFine wrote:

The top part of that red box is CenturyLink and I'm telling you it's them, and they're getting worse.

I had all three twitterbots timeout again yesterday and none of them had anything to do with HughesNet, just the CenturyLink backbone. It's broken.

It's unfortunate that a single company can create such a headache for so many.  Many smaller businesses as well, I'm sure.  They REALLY need to get their act together.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

I agree, but my only point of contact is with HN.  They need to apply pressure to CL to get the problem fixed, I cannot.  Engineering did not call back today as promised.   Apparently they don't care, so I have contacted the "Fed Com Comm" to see if that will get their attention.  Don't know what else to do. 

--Interesting the the abbrevation for that agency is not allowed on the forum - would not post if it was in content. Had to use "alais"--

Reply to me from Fed Com Comm :

--

Hi Norvell,

Thank you for your submission. Based on our review, your Ticket No. 3621612 was served on your provider on Oct 28.

Here's what you can expect from the "commission"s informal complaint process:

- Your provider should contact you directly in an effort to resolve your issue.
- The "commission's" role in this process is to facilitate a conversation between you and your provider.
- Your provider is required to submit to the "commission" a written response regarding your issue no later than 30 days from today.
- The "commission" will not contact you until we receive a response from your provider.

Professor

What resolution are you expecting?

hamradio wrote:

I agree, but my only point of contact is with HN.  They need to apply pressure to CL to get the problem fixed, I cannot.  Engineering did not call back today as promised.   Apparently they don't care, so I have contacted the "Fed Com Comm" to see if that will get their attention.  Don't know what else to do. 

--Interesting the the abbrevation for that agency is not allowed on the forum - would not post if it was in content. Had to use "alais"--

Reply to me from Fed Com Comm :

--

Hi Norvell,

Thank you for your submission. Based on our review, your Ticket No. 3621612 was served on your provider on Oct 28.

Here's what you can expect from the "commission"s informal complaint process:

- Your provider should contact you directly in an effort to resolve your issue.
- The "commission's" role in this process is to facilitate a conversation between you and your provider.
- Your provider is required to submit to the "commission" a written response regarding your issue no later than 30 days from today.
- The "commission" will not contact you until we receive a response from your provider.

Assistant Professor

I am certain the organization you mention well knows there's a problem with CL, and have for at least a year now. They won't do anything.

Hopefully you didn't mention HN as the problem, otherwise you may have inadvertently put yourself in arbitration wrt to any support resolution.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Professor

I'm wondering what kind of resolution the OP is expecting.  There's only so much HN can do, and if they have already offered the standard good faith resolutions, not much more can be done, even via arbitration. If the OP is expecting that by contacting the feds he will force HN to complain to CL, that's not a realistic view of how these processes work (not to mention it's likely that HN has already complained to its providers and that CL has chosen not to address the complaint, or has promised it will be addressed in the future).   

@MarkJFine wrote:

I am certain the organization you mention well knows there's a problem with CL, and have for at least a year now. They won't do anything.

Hopefully you didn't mention HN as the problem, otherwise you may have inadvertently put yourself in arbitration wrt to any support resolution.

Assistant Professor

I have considered moving my bot from my personal server space to the web server in Europe, but then I'd lose a perfect indicator that CL is messed up.

This is a traceroute while ssh'd into my server:

% traceroute twitter.com
traceroute: Warning: twitter.com has multiple addresses; using 104.244.42.129
traceroute to twitter.com (104.244.42.129), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 xxxx.xxxx.xxx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 7.208 ms 0.182 ms 0.191 ms
2 192.168.1.14 (192.168.1.14) 0.315 ms 0.435 ms 1.537 ms
3 8-1-2.bear1.Pittsburgh3.Level3.net (4.7.80.9) 1.154 ms 1.193 ms 1.951 ms
4 * ae-2-4.bear1.Washington111.Level3.net (4.69.210.174) 6.910 ms 6.473 ms
5 4.15.136.126 (4.15.136.126) 6.821 ms 6.741 ms 7.090 ms
6 * * *
7 104.244.42.129 (104.244.42.129) 24.658 ms 24.815 ms 24.800 ms

That said, it *used to* only be 2 hops between, now it's 4. Hop 1 is the server in Pittsburgh and hop 2 looks like an intermediate LAN before it goes out to Level3/CenturyLink. Then it just rattles around CL's backbone until it hits Twitter on hop 7.

Hop 6 never IDs, though hop 4 reports some of the time. Judging from the time, the delay in this path is mostly somewhere in to or out of hop 6. Need to capture the full 60 second delay for proof.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

Thanks for all the comments.   I really don't know what to expect but having exhausted all other avenues, gave the Commission a try -  Even if it may prove fruitless...  Since I do not have a direct association with CL nor direct proof that they are responsible for the problem, this was the last approach that came to mind.   Failure of HN engineering to cooperate and respond has not helped my attitude.  If it is CL, engineering should know, call me back, and say so.  I can only hope that if CL is the culprit, it will inspire HN to become more aggressive in applying  pressure on CL to fix their issues - and/or point the finger at CL to the Commission in their response.  I expect (hope) HN has a performance clause in their contract with CL.?.   If so, it needs to be enforced.   However, to expect the Commission to do much either way is rather optimistic.

Certainly open to any suggestions as to how to otherwise address the CL problem!

Thanks again, Woody

Professor

Good luck to you, Woody, and I hope things get resolved to your satisfaction soon!

Assistant Professor

Hey, been there, bought the tee shirt.

I tried going directly to CL, even calling them out on Twitter. They wanted me to DM them with my account number. After I gave them proof like the above (captured the delay), told them it was about their backbone and not their user service and that I was not even their customer they dropped the conversation. So... good luck with that.

Professor

And a nemesis was born.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Hey, been there, bought the tee shirt.

I tried going directly to CL, even calling them out on Twitter. They wanted me to DM them with my account number. After I gave them proof like the above (captured the delay), told them it was about their backbone and not their user service and that I was not even their customer they dropped the conversation.