cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The all to familiar problem, slow - slow - slow

Junior

Re: The all to familiar problem, slow - slow - slow

Hi Gabe,

I posted the speedof.me reslts because it so dramatically shows the nature of the problem of waiting delays vs speed when data actually is actually being transfered.

Do have two questions... 

1) Why is the speedof.me  (HTML5 test) result consistantly slower than testmy.net?

2) HN connection to the the world is pretty decent today.  Wish it would stay that way!  I just ran a testmy and when I go to results and ask for the urls, it returns, FWIW - "https://testmy.net/db/_Oa33z0Ch%20%20https://testmy.net/_Oa33z0Ch.png" which is not valid (two strung together). If I remove the first url, and past the second part here, get this:

Removing the second url in the string, pasting the first, gives this:

https://testmy.net/db/_Oa33z0Ch%20

----- Apparently returning two urls ----  Anyway, the question...   ----

After the test but before going to "Results", the  "Tip Summary" indicates Min: 34.82, Mid 1347.08, and Max 2559 Mbps.  These data and the graph are quite different from what I get when I click -  "Results": 

TiP Summary - Minimum :: 11.46 Mbps | Middle :: 14.82 Mbps | Maximum :: 20.65 Mbps

The initial results reported are not credible. 

Hope this post makes sense!  What is happening?

Woody - KZ4AK

Junior

As mentioned in the just previous post HN IS WORKING TODAY!   ...So far.

I just watched a video (facebook > youtube) with no buffering, albiet it was low res.  Lately, similar videos have been ~40% content and 60% buffering.   I am estatic, but not so sure I will "hold my breath".

_W_

Distinguished Professor IV

@hamradio 

1.  I couldn't really say for sure.  I know for me, at least, the results are almost always lower due to both HughesNet's speed tending to fluctuate throughout a test, with it being worse as congestion increases, and speedofme's test result being that of the spreed it's seeing at the very end of the test, rather than it being an average across the whole test like testmy gives for its results.  This may be why it's doing it for you, too, but you should be able to see if this is the case by watching the progress of the speedofme test.  If the test has speed spikes, then it drops back down again, this is likely what's happening. 

It's also possible that it's because they test in different ways.  With testmy, I believe the test involves downloading a temporary file, and they measure the speed throughout that download.  With speedofme, I think the test is a constant, more like a stream rather than a file, and where it keeps running until the testing protocol is satisfied, though I don't know what that threshold is, as in whether it's a time or it has to meet or exceed a specific size.  This is only a guess, though, and only based on how the test seems to run.  

2.  It's possible that what you're seeing, at least in that example (with the extreme results) is a glitch test, which testmy occasionally does. I don't know that this is the case, as I can't really see what you're seeing to know where or what to check, but it may be the case.  

It's also possible that what you're seeing is as a result of other people's test results being mixed in with yours.  I'll explain that part, and how to stop it from happening, near the bottom of this reply.

BTW, I don't know if you're using the new version of testmy or the old, but if you go to your Results page and click on the share button of one of the tests, it should change to a page that has a URL for that test. The old version actually says "Share" and has a little orage dohickey next to it.  The new one just has the little orange dohickey.  

Old test...

Old.JPG

URL.JPG

You can copy and paste that URL into a reply, which will be clickable for that test. 

https://testmy.net/db/zg9hXPCtn

Or, you can copy and paste the picture itself, or save it to your desktop (or pictures, or wherever on your computer), then upload it.  

Speed Test Result

Regarding other people's results, if you use the old version of the test, and you haven't already done so, make sure to click "Exclude tests taken on your connection ID that are not logged under KZ4AK", which is just under the results box and to the left on your Results page.  It's kind of small.  This will ensure that you won't see other people's tests that were on the same Connection ID as yours.  HughesNet uses shared IPs, which can cause testmy to have multiple people on the same connection ID.  Clicking that will ensure that other people's test results won't show up in yours (they're in yellow if they're there).  

Here it is on mine, though it's already clicked, so it's now giving me the option to again include them rather than exclude them...

Capture.JPG

I prefer the old version, as it seems to run better, but that's just me.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

How do I ask a question on this forum

@ejhukle wrote:

How do I ask a question on this forum

If it's a tech support related question, like you're experiencing slow speed or you're having some other type of technical issue, or you have a question about something regarding the service, you can start a new topic in the "Tech Support" section by clicking on the section title and clicking the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right.  You can also start it here (it's a shortcut to what I just described).  Give the post a title and describe the question or issue you're having is as much detail as you can, then choose a "label" on the right.  Then click "Post" on the bottom right of the message body.

If you need help with something related to another topic, such as billing or other account related issues, start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

@hamradio wrote:

As mentioned in the just previous post HN IS WORKING TODAY!   ...So far.

I just watched a video (facebook > youtube) with no buffering, albiet it was low res.  Lately, similar videos have been ~40% content and 60% buffering.   I am estatic, but not so sure I will "hold my breath".

_W_

Gabe,  Thanks for the indepth reply...

My bubble has been burst.  It is now after dinner time and if I try a youtube, I get to watch more buffering than video.  Smiley Sad

It seems that is the price of using HN...

_W_

@hamradio 

You're welcome.  Smiley Happy    

It may be that you're on a heavily loaded beam, which is okay during the day, but gets bogged down in the evening due to so many people being online.  And, unfortunately, as time goes on and online activity gets more bandwidth hungry, it could get worse.  Smiley Sad  It wouldn't at all surprise me if the main contributor is so much more being streamed these days and so many more people trying to take advantage of all that available content.  Even I'm streaming now, where I hadn't done so up until about five months ago, though I'm doing it indirectly with PlayOn Cloud and downloading the files late at night. 

Under normal circumstances this probably shouldn't make any difference, but turning off or pausing the Video Data Saver may help with the Youtube videos to an extent, even if they're in a low definition.  It may be worth a try.

Junior

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried turning off the Video Data Saver.   Unfortunately, could not notice a difference.

I don't even try to stream movies, but it sure would be nice to view a low res youtube without so much buffering...

No doubt that video streaming is becoming more and more popular and loads the net.   It does seem that  HN needs to work with their connection provider to fix the bottle-neck delays - and/or - increase the bandwidth to meet the needs of what they are advertising and what we are paying for.

_W_

Junior

Took a look and I am on Echostar-19-NAD,  Gateway 14, Beam ID 68, Outroute ID 1.

Is there any easy way I can determine the beam loading (traffic) at some point in time?

Does more than one beam cover my location,  central Virginia?

And then the obvious question...  If there is a less congested beam available that covers my location, can my connection be moved?

Thanks,

Woody - KZ4AK

@hamradio 

With regard to the beam loading, I don't believe so.  Other than seeing the general effects of a heavier load, which it sounds like you may very well be seeing, I don't believe there is any way for a customer to see any type of actual loading on the beam, and it's unlikely that a rep or engineer would say.  

Regarding your current beam, while there probably are overlaps where you are, only a rep can say for sure if trying another one might be beneficial, or whether it's even possible at your particular location, as in whether another beam would get a decent enough signal in comparison to what you currently have.  

Hopefully a rep will reply to say whether that's a viable option.  

@Liz