cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new FTC lawsuit against D-Link....

Distinguished Professor IV

The new FTC lawsuit against D-Link....

With what the lawsuit entails, do those with the DIR619L routers have reason for concern?  What they mention in the lawsuit is a little above my head, so I don't know exactly if what is mentioned is of concern with these routers regarding consumers' general usage of them.   

https://www.cnet.com/news/d-link-lawsuit-ftc-security-hackers/

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: The new FTC lawsuit against D-Link....

After reading it. It sounds like it mostly in the camera system. In witch I have two.  Damn company.

Lucky you!  LOL. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I like my DIR619L But I do not use the apps..

I have one, too, and I like it, as well.  I got it when my Netgear started having problems, though I have since corrected the problem with the Netgear and am using it again.  I discovered that it was a setting I changed without realizing it and it was causing it to drop the connection. 

Still, when I was using the DIR619L for a while, I wasn't using the cloud app, nor do I have any of their cameras, so I would have been okay.  It's still good to know about it now, though, for when I have to eventually use it again. 

Assistant Professor

Sorry, but I don't care the router manufacturer or firmware. You put stuff live on the internet or in the cloud storage it is subject to hacking and anyone seeing it. 

Even your video chat with grandma.
Assistant Professor

Would not be surprised if my life history is in a data base somewhere. Including military records that are supposed to be on a government secure server.
Associate Professor
Associate Professor

So... as far as Hughesnet customers should be concerned...

1: Can't really get hacked - sorry, but CGN makes that rather difficult, incoming connections with out you initiating them are rejected usually.  This makes many vulnerabilities moot.
2: You should only worry if you are someone that visits very shady websites on the third page of google results* Smiley Happy
3:You have a neighbor close enough to exploit wifi based exploits.

*joking about the third page, but shady websites are a NONO!

My close enough neighbor is my folks, and with it taking nearly forty five minutes just to get them to put a new key code into their antivirus to renew it for a year, I don't think I, personally, have much to worry about.  They're still in that AOL, one click frame of mind.  LOL.