cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The server you are connecting to is slow

Junior

The server you are connecting to is slow

I see many people complaining about HughesNet service being slow. While there are factors that can cause this to be true, in most cases this is not the real problem. I don't have time to cover all of the reasons now but will provide additional posts to assist users in determining and fixing their internet connections.

The server you are connecting to is slow. Just because your connection is capable of certain speeds doesn't mean that the computer (server) that you are connecting too has the capability or capacity to deliver the information to you at those speeds. This is especially true at certain times when that server is nearing it's capacity. (too many users at the same time) Sometimes smaller websites are run on servers or internet connections that are less capable.

The bottom line is that before you blame HughesNet for your slow connection speed remember there are many other reasons that might appear as a slow connection.Try another server or site. Is the speed still slow?

Next time we'll talk about routers.

Don  Smiley Happy
13 REPLIES 13
Junior

Re: The server you are connecting to is slow

Bill,

I've had my moments since joining this community that I gave thought to giving up on helping others. In the end though, my main interest in this forum is to help others. If and when that is no longer the case I will cease to participate. 
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Bill,

Nice to see you back .....

"The problem here is that most of these individuals would rather spread their conspiracy theories than to admit they need help. Most here are to lazy to get into the elevator when you do send it down."

Frustration and conspiracy theories are likely the result of lack of knowledge and understanding ...and that is where we come in ... at least once.

We owe a novice user the chance to become better informed.

If said user insists on remaining clueless then we obviously have a lost cause and we should probably just move on.

The thing that really gets under my skin is the user that outright lies to you.

User has connection problem, we ask for a direct connect, user says "done", posts screenshot and what does it show ? UP2FD  ..... Grrrrrrr.

Rather than trading insults, its better to just drop it, you can only help the ones that want help.

I too like to throw in my two cents worth even though it may only be a cent and a half.  The thing I have been saying for quite a while is exactly what donsjgm is talking about, "TRANSFER RATE" most users get speed and transfer rates mixed up, or just don't know the difference. The rule is normally the transfer rate will be about 1/8th of the download speed with many variables.
Honorary Alumnus

Or KB vs Kb or MB vs Mb

8 bits to a byte is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Assistant Professor

There are those who come here just to vent and really don't want help. Have to weed them out and just move on and not get into a back and forth that accomplishes nothing. I was bad doing that myself for awhile, finally learned it is a dead end.

Ditto sgoshe I did the same but not any more if they fall into deep water and don’t like the life preserver then they will hate the anchor.  Most of the time though the people are appreciative for the effort that is shown by those on this Forum. 
Advanced Tutor

Yes I do appreciate all the help.

It can't be said enough, THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

Reggie

We've never been happy with Hughesnet internet. It's all we have available here though so we're stuck. We also had a two week period when no one was home and all computers were off yet there was usage. And we're in a remote area. No one could have come here to "steal" our internet and we have a password anyway.

I don't trust the service and I know it's not our computers that are slow. We spend a lot of time at public wifi spaces because Hughesnet is so expensive and we don't like always buying tokens. Same computers. Same sites. Hughesnet is slow and sometimes doesn't work at all, especially if it is raining.

Christiane100, This sounds like there may be an issue with your system if it is slow and does not work sometimes. Regarding the slowness, what speed are you getting compared to what your supposed to be getting?