Hughesnet Community

This is the worst internet service EVER ! SLOW SLOW SLOW.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
youngblood48
Freshman

This is the worst internet service EVER ! SLOW SLOW SLOW.

slow internet connection
15 REPLIES 15
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is truly the worst. Many have never experienced it other than us old folk. 🙂

Can't imagine what it would be like with today's webpages.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Just to add a little: Hughesnet is far far superior to a having no internet connection at all.

There are many reasons for "slow, slow, slow".

Please define "slow".

Have you looked at the Modems SCC at 192.168.0.1 to see if your are out of data or have any active system error condition?

Have you ran speed tests at testmy.net using a 12 MB manual download test?

Do this after creating an account there so that your test results will be save under your username. Post a link to your results page here in your topic.

Do these tests while connected directly to the modem. No router connected.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

slow internet connection

Are you just sharing this information with the world or are you looking to do something about the issue?
mattdurham2012

"HughesNet is far superior to dial-up"  

Lets compare:

Dial-up  doesn't lie to you about the speeds that you are purchasing 
Hughesnet charges for 10mbs and gives you less then 1 most times.

Dial-up works 24/7
Hughesnet works if it isn't raining.

Dial-up cost $12 a month
Hughsnet charges $75 (to sit and watch your screen buffer just like dial-up)

Dial-up doesn't make you sign a 2 contract.
Hughesnet makes you sign a 2 year contract for their service knowing that they cannot deliver on there speed promises and down times.

Dial-up has the same speed no matter what time of day (or night) it is
Hughesnet has dial-up speeds in the day and only in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep does it speed up a little.

So is it far superior? NO.

Is it a little faster at times? YES, as long as you stay up all night while the rest of the country is sleeping and not on it.

Does it cost 6 times as much? YES. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm...

Phone line: $65/month
The ONLY active dial-up server here last I checked was one for MSN, that's $30/month.

Top speeds on dial-up here, 18,8Kbps.  That's right, a whopping ~1.7KB/s download~!

Also, speeds are not advertised as a promise, they are advertised as upto.
maratsade

Top speeds on dial-up here, 18,8Kbps.  That's right, a whopping ~1.7KB/s download~!"

And they are usually advertised as "up to" that speed.  
maratsade

Dial-up has the same speed no matter what time of day (or night) it is

And all of it at a crawl. And it does go down with bad weather too. You get what you pay for.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Even when my speed is in the toilet like 500 Kbps - 1.2 Mbps I can still browse just fine. At 1.2 Mbps I can still stream Netflix in low definition on 55" TV and YouTube at 240p (fine on a tablet). Yea, not so good for large file downloads though.

Try streaming anything on dial-up no matter what time....lol. Try simple browsing on dial-up with the page content nowadays...double lol.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
maratsade

I remember those long waits.  Dial up was terrible.
GabeU

When my folks were still on dialup at this time last year, their connection was so slow and so bad that my stepfather would often lose things he had typed into Facebook that he was going to post.   Sometimes Facebook wouldn't even open at all.  It was ludicrous.   

Also, good luck keeping your computer up to date with dialup.    It's not happening these days. 

I gave up on dialup in 2004, but still had a 1.5Mbps legacy plan until Feb 2016.  

GabeU

When my folks were still on dialup at this time last year, their connection was so slow and so bad that my stepfather would often lose things he had typed into Facebook that he was going to post.   Sometimes Facebook wouldn't even open at all.  It was ludicrous.   

Also, good luck keeping your computer up to date with dialup.    It's not happening these days. 

I gave up on dialup in 2004, but still had a 1.5Mbps legacy plan until Feb 2016.  

GabeU

Perhaps no double posts with dialup.  LOL.  
maratsade

I think the system felt your comment had to be emphasized, Gabe. LOL
maratsade

Also, good luck keeping your computer up to date with dialup.
I had a Mac update that was several gigs.  I think dialup would not have been up to the task.