I have come across one website I cannot reach. It is https://www.treasurydirect.gov
The error message happens with a PC connected directly to the modem (HT2000W) on Internet Explorer, Chrome and Mozilla which I just installed today. The same message occurs with a Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A using Chrome.
I have tried a few things with no success. The message one on of the browsers made it sound like Treasury Direct had a problem so I called them and they said it was on my end and they were not having any problems. This has been going on since last night which is the first time I tried to reach the site with the new satellite service installed.
Someone must have seen something similar and solved it. I read over the posts and did not not notice something I need to do but may have missed something.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Works fine here, took ages to connect, but it worked, you may want to try disabling Web Acceleration to see if that helps.
Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.
1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC). It is highlighted in red in the image below.
3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.