cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Days of extremely slow and unresponsive internet connection.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Three Days of extremely slow and unresponsive internet connection.

Hello, I am here to post about an issue I have had over the last 3-4 days now. A few days ago I had some power outage flashes about 4 in the span of an hour. ever since then my internet service has been acting up.

I will start by saying that everything on the system control center looks good. Signal Strength is averaging between 110 and 120, no problems detected on any of the other system status info page. Web Responce tests show download speeds of 1 second or less. Speed Tests show same results. I have run Connectivity Tests multiple times and show average delay below 700 ms and 0% packet loss almost every time. Ocassionaly I will get a average delay of over 1000 but not too often. So, no problem there. I have power cycled the modem at least 4 times in the last 3 days and still end up having the same issue. I have run just about every troubleshooting step I know that I am able to do on my end.

My issue is this. Web pages load extremely slow if at all. Sometimes they just time out. browsing any web page that is heavily media based pretty much doesn't work or it takes about 3 minutes for the page to load. I cannot brows facebook or any other social media sites also including youtube. I cannot watch small low quality video clips as they start to load Then they stop and buffer indefinitely, no matter how many times I refresh. Even low media based web pages take a minute or longer to load. I have also run about 4 different anti-Malware, Anti-Virus programs. Computer is clean. I have checked my LAN cables and connections to the modem and all seem to good to go.

I have checked the advaced configuration section of the System Control Center and have had some red X in the uplink issues line. I have seen red X in the Association, TCP Acceleration, RTT, DNS Acceleration[N] and DNS Acceleration[I] lines over the last few days as well, however they seem to fix themselves. The problem I am having makes me think there is a more underlying issue that I cannot see. I would like to get some help to resolve this problem I am having. As right now I am really not able to use my service much at all.

Any Help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

49 REPLIES
Associate Professor

Re: Three Days of extremely slow and unresponsive internet connection.

Have you exhausted your data allowance?  If not, you may want to try and disable Web Acceleration to see if that helps any.

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

Sophomore

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. So, I gave that a try and after a couple hours of browsing. I am unable to notice any difference in performance.

Senior Instructor

On that same Advanced Configuration page, look at:
 - General -> State Code Monitor  and
 - Diagnostics -> Hourly History
What do those look like? (if you post pictures, please remember to edit out your SAN before posting)

Also, what happens iafter you reboot the modem using the Reboot at the top?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

I am unsure what current state code and past hours problem history is at the moment as I rebooted my modem about 10 minutes ago in hopes of some change. I have continued to browse and still don't notice any change. Even as I am typing it takes me more than a minue to be sent to the reply page to reply to your comment, and my last response took about 2 minutes just to post the previous post.

video clips and low quality and low res video files and heavy media websites are still really slow to load. I have noticed that most times just to get a page to load I have to stop and reload the page 3-4 times before it actually decides to load. It is almost just as bad as if I hit the FAP slow down. But that doesn't happen anymore, and on that note I still have 10% of my any time data and 30% of my Bonus Byte Data. So, that can't be a problem there.

Senior Instructor

Whoops.. yeah, best to note those things prior to a reboot. Let it go for about an hour or two to build up some stats then look at those things, which might give some indication of what's going on.

In case you've tried the soft reboot, as mentioned above, might want to try a hard reboot after noting the state code and diagnostics next time. You do that by unplugging the power from the wall and waiting a minute before plugging it back in.

Be sure not to unplug the power by the DIN plug in the back of the modem. DIN plugs aren't designed for a lot of that and could cause damage to stuff when you plug it back in.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor II

@t.steven

Not that this is necessarily going to show any difference, as those red exes you mentioned may point to an issue, but have you tried a different device, if you have one available, to see if it's any different?  I doubt it will be, but it might be worth a try.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I only have 2 PC's a Desktop and a laptop and the results are the same. However currently my history shows all green for the last  20 hours. Yet, still having an issue with speeds. However the weird thing is. I can save and download a video file to my computer and it downloads like it should yet, watching videos or loading heavily media based web pages don't want to load. And if they do it is almost like using dial-up or slower.

I have still been running speed tests, and web response tests and the numbers actually look good. I just can't figure out what is going on.

Edit: I have been using service for last couple hours and just monitored the current hourly history and I am see lots of red X in uplink. That does seem to be a normal occurance lately.

I tried to research what would cause that one thing I tried was seeing if it was possibly a power supply issue to my modem and plug it into a lone unused power plug outlet. That didn't fix it. That rules that out. Could my modem be going bad? And is there any way to check if it might be?

Distinguished Professor II

@t.steven

With all of those red exes the reps will probably want to run some diagnostics on your equipment to see if anything looks amiss (the diagnostic checks are done remotely).  I would avoid rebooting the modem for a while so that it doesn't lose its logs. 

With it being Monday the reps are in catch up mode from the weekend so it may take them a little bit to see this and reply.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi t.steven,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! Thank you for also troubleshooting and sharing what you've already done so far, this helps. On our end, nothing quite sticks out in the diagnostics. I'll send you a replacement modem anyway to see if that will help. Please let me know how it works out for you. You can send back your modem using the same box--the return label will be in the outer pouch.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->