Hughesnet Community

Three Days of extremely slow and unresponsive internet connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t.steven
Sophomore

Three Days of extremely slow and unresponsive internet connection.

Hello, I am here to post about an issue I have had over the last 3-4 days now. A few days ago I had some power outage flashes about 4 in the span of an hour. ever since then my internet service has been acting up.

I will start by saying that everything on the system control center looks good. Signal Strength is averaging between 110 and 120, no problems detected on any of the other system status info page. Web Responce tests show download speeds of 1 second or less. Speed Tests show same results. I have run Connectivity Tests multiple times and show average delay below 700 ms and 0% packet loss almost every time. Ocassionaly I will get a average delay of over 1000 but not too often. So, no problem there. I have power cycled the modem at least 4 times in the last 3 days and still end up having the same issue. I have run just about every troubleshooting step I know that I am able to do on my end.

My issue is this. Web pages load extremely slow if at all. Sometimes they just time out. browsing any web page that is heavily media based pretty much doesn't work or it takes about 3 minutes for the page to load. I cannot brows facebook or any other social media sites also including youtube. I cannot watch small low quality video clips as they start to load Then they stop and buffer indefinitely, no matter how many times I refresh. Even low media based web pages take a minute or longer to load. I have also run about 4 different anti-Malware, Anti-Virus programs. Computer is clean. I have checked my LAN cables and connections to the modem and all seem to good to go.

I have checked the advaced configuration section of the System Control Center and have had some red X in the uplink issues line. I have seen red X in the Association, TCP Acceleration, RTT, DNS Acceleration[N] and DNS Acceleration[I] lines over the last few days as well, however they seem to fix themselves. The problem I am having makes me think there is a more underlying issue that I cannot see. I would like to get some help to resolve this problem I am having. As right now I am really not able to use my service much at all.

Any Help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

49 REPLIES 49
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Have you exhausted your data allowance?  If not, you may want to try and disable Web Acceleration to see if that helps any.

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. So, I gave that a try and after a couple hours of browsing. I am unable to notice any difference in performance.

On that same Advanced Configuration page, look at:
 - General -> State Code Monitor  and
 - Diagnostics -> Hourly History
What do those look like? (if you post pictures, please remember to edit out your SAN before posting)

Also, what happens iafter you reboot the modem using the Reboot at the top?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I am unsure what current state code and past hours problem history is at the moment as I rebooted my modem about 10 minutes ago in hopes of some change. I have continued to browse and still don't notice any change. Even as I am typing it takes me more than a minue to be sent to the reply page to reply to your comment, and my last response took about 2 minutes just to post the previous post.

video clips and low quality and low res video files and heavy media websites are still really slow to load. I have noticed that most times just to get a page to load I have to stop and reload the page 3-4 times before it actually decides to load. It is almost just as bad as if I hit the FAP slow down. But that doesn't happen anymore, and on that note I still have 10% of my any time data and 30% of my Bonus Byte Data. So, that can't be a problem there.

Whoops.. yeah, best to note those things prior to a reboot. Let it go for about an hour or two to build up some stats then look at those things, which might give some indication of what's going on.

In case you've tried the soft reboot, as mentioned above, might want to try a hard reboot after noting the state code and diagnostics next time. You do that by unplugging the power from the wall and waiting a minute before plugging it back in.

Be sure not to unplug the power by the DIN plug in the back of the modem. DIN plugs aren't designed for a lot of that and could cause damage to stuff when you plug it back in.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@t.steven

Not that this is necessarily going to show any difference, as those red exes you mentioned may point to an issue, but have you tried a different device, if you have one available, to see if it's any different?  I doubt it will be, but it might be worth a try.  

I only have 2 PC's a Desktop and a laptop and the results are the same. However currently my history shows all green for the last  20 hours. Yet, still having an issue with speeds. However the weird thing is. I can save and download a video file to my computer and it downloads like it should yet, watching videos or loading heavily media based web pages don't want to load. And if they do it is almost like using dial-up or slower.

I have still been running speed tests, and web response tests and the numbers actually look good. I just can't figure out what is going on.

Edit: I have been using service for last couple hours and just monitored the current hourly history and I am see lots of red X in uplink. That does seem to be a normal occurance lately.

I tried to research what would cause that one thing I tried was seeing if it was possibly a power supply issue to my modem and plug it into a lone unused power plug outlet. That didn't fix it. That rules that out. Could my modem be going bad? And is there any way to check if it might be?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@t.steven

With all of those red exes the reps will probably want to run some diagnostics on your equipment to see if anything looks amiss (the diagnostic checks are done remotely).  I would avoid rebooting the modem for a while so that it doesn't lose its logs. 

With it being Monday the reps are in catch up mode from the weekend so it may take them a little bit to see this and reply.  

Hi t.steven,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! Thank you for also troubleshooting and sharing what you've already done so far, this helps. On our end, nothing quite sticks out in the diagnostics. I'll send you a replacement modem anyway to see if that will help. Please let me know how it works out for you. You can send back your modem using the same box--the return label will be in the outer pouch.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz

Alright, thanks. I will set it up once I receive it. Will also keep this line of communication open until I get it tested. Thanks for the reply. If any issue still occurs. I will be in touch. Smiley Happy

You're welcome! Looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz

Oh I also wanted to add that these Red X I keep getting in the uplink line in my hourly history only seem to show up when I am actively using my internet while browsing and what not.

I just got one as of typing this. I normaly work from 8pm EST-6am EST. so chances are if any diagnostics are going on at that time. My computer is shut off and I am not actively using my internet. Just figure I give a heads up on that. Not sure if that helps any... Just figure I leave it here.

Thanks for the heads up. I can assure you I won't be here at 8 pm running diagnostics on anything. LOL

New modem installed and plugged in. For about 1 hour after it updated and ran through it's installation process. Everything was fine. Now it is back to doing the same thing. Lots of red X in my Uplink in Current Hourly History every time I try to watch videos and brows heavy media based web pages.

If everything else looks good, as far as diagnostics coming back okay and all my system stats are all A okay. I just can't figure out what the problem is. I always have an issue with Hughesnet services about this same time every year and every time it is a different problem. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. This is beyond frustrating. Something tells me there is nothing that can be done to fix my issue either. Chances are no problem exists, at least any that can be seen.

I am going to bed. I just got done with a 13 hour work night. Any replies won't be read or responded to until tomarrow morning. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

@t.steven

If it's not the transmitter nor a dish alignment then there might be something in the vicinity of the dish causing the problem.

Don't get discouraged. It will get it fixed one way or another.

Hi t.steven,

Thank you for the update. Do you normally unplug your lan cable from the modem too when you're not using the internet?

@Liz

I rarely do disconnect my LAN cable from my computer. If I am not using the Internet. I turn my computer off. I never leave my PC running when I am not going to use it for long periods of time. So, I leave it plugged in. On occasion if I am away from my computer for short time I will disconnect the LAN cable, but as I said. I rarely do that.

Good morning t.steven,

Thank you for confirming. My diagnostics yesterday were indicating that your LAN cable was disconnected every time I ran them. Please switch out your LAN cable and let me know if that makes a difference, and so I can run new diagnostics with the other cable in.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

@Liz

Alright then. I am going to be going to bed. Have to work tonight. I will leave my computer running and check back at a later time. To see what you come up with. Thanks.

FYI, I hit my Fair Access Policy cap and it doesn't reset for another 12 hours or so. I just want to let ya know as I do not know how that may effect the diagnostics.

Hi t.steven,

Thank you for the update. Latest diagnostics are now indicating bad alignment. As a courtesy I'm dispatching a technician to your site to realign the dish. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Nov 10, 2017 between 2:00 PM - 05:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #107411010 if you need to reschedule.

Please let us know how the site visit goes.