cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttle Speeds

Freshman

Throttle Speeds

Hey guys, I'm new here.  Will be getting my service tomorrow hopefully.  

I understand once you hit your cap you will become throttled at 1-3Mbps supposedly.  My question to you guys is what do you usually see once you are throttled.  I have 'Unlimited' Verizon but once I hit my 15Gigs it goes to 600kbps which is more like 300kbps since I live in Cali and thats IF it works at all.  Once I hit the Cap my hotspot is pretty much useless.  So what do you guys see?

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Throttle Speeds

I live in Northern California and been on Gen 5 since September last year.  Before that I was on Gen 4 for many years.

As for Gen 5... I still feel Hughes has traffic issues in California.  I was moved to Sat 19 when I signed back up to Hughes.... and right away experience very bad speed issues.  Research here and you will find many had the same issue.

Hughes moved me back to Sat 17 and things seemed to be a tad better but peak time speeds are very bad.  Sad to say it.

During the day in FAP, I am happy to say I get (normally) just enough speed to stream a netflix show at low resolution.  My speed is normally about 1.4Mbps during the day.

But.... as the day goes on... 7pm to 10pm is REALLY bad.  Again sorry to say.  

Even not in FAP last night my speeds were as slow as 500K speed.  If I were in FAP my guess I would be down to the 100K to 200K range.

So if you work is mission critical, and speed is an issue, you may experience the same as some of us.

I sure hope Hughes finds a solution... or adjusts our monthly dues accordingly.

I am on Beam 19 Satallite 17 here in NorCal.

TJ

Freshman

Macsociety, Thank you for your honesty, even though it's not what I wanted to hear at all. Smiley Sad I just moved to SoCal from Florida and god I miss my fiber, however Cali prices are insane here to buy/rent. RV'in baby! I'm trying to finish up my BA so I will have to stay on top of the kids with not watching videos etc since my school work is very video intensive. The main reason for me getting hughesnet was for this reason. Hey, everyone has a story right? We can only hope that their able to correct the issue or we see a reduction in price. I doubt the latter will happen. Have you been following SpaceX initiative on satellite internet? It looks very promising!

@austinschellerwrote:
Macsociety, Thank you for your honesty, even though it's not what I wanted to hear at all. Smiley Sad I just moved to SoCal from Florida and god I miss my fiber, however Cali prices are insane here to buy/rent. RV'in baby! I'm trying to finish up my BA so I will have to stay on top of the kids with not watching videos etc since my school work is very video intensive. The main reason for me getting hughesnet was for this reason. Hey, everyone has a story right? We can only hope that their able to correct the issue or we see a reduction in price. I doubt the latter will happen. Have you been following SpaceX initiative on satellite internet? It looks very promising!

I have not.... but I will stick with Hughes until either Fiber comes to where I live (been rumored for a while but years on years of build-out and delays, so I am not holding my breath), or a cheaper rural wireless option if one ever gets cheaper and does not charge per GB crazy fees.

I would be very happy with Hughes if they could manage anywhere close to what they advertise.  Even if they could keep a constant 5Mbps during peak times I would be fine, as that would be enough to stream netflix under low resolution.

YouTube is also very hiccupy with Hughes.  Lots of buffering even when speeds are good.  No idea why but it is.  So I start a stream and wait a bit before starting the video.

It seems to work better with Netflix so that is nice.

Here are some example speeds I have.  

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=04132018&x=90&l=25&q=macsociety

Wednesday night was terrible.  I was not in FAP and was getting down in the K speeds.

Today and not in FAP when I ran this 1st test (as I was in my Bonus time before 8AM) I was getting slow speeds too.  6.6Mbps down right before 8AM came.  Then I ran a 2nd test while in FAP after 8AM, and getting 1.36Mbps, which is about normal during the day for me while in FAP.  By tonight 7PM to 10PM those speeds will go down into the low Ks.

TJ

Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety

Do you know if SoCal is/was having the same speed issues as NorCal, especially beam 55 on the ES19?  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@austinscheller

I can't say much about FAP as I've never been in it.  From what others who have been and have talked about it, it seems to vary greatly.  From upwards of 3Mbps to the lower hundreds of Kbps range.

My non FAP speeds are great, though I'm on a different beam and gateway than what you'll be on.   https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

I wish you luck.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Depends on how far south he is.. If he is in beam 70  He is good to go.. No problems on that beam at all..

Hopefully he is lucky and on a different beam that is not having issues like us in the north.

TJ

Freshman

Satellite Name EchoStar-17-NAD

Gateway ID 11

Beam ID 3

Outroute ID16

@austinschellerwrote:

Satellite Name EchoStar-17-NAD

Gateway ID 11

Beam ID 3