Hughesnet Community

Throttled My Speed To 12-14 kbps after I exceeded my data allowance.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefferywgreen

Throttled My Speed To 12-14 kbps after I exceeded my data allowance.

My download speed has been throttled to 12-14 kbps. Agreement states

"If I exceed my Data Allowance, when will my speeds be reduced?

During the Bonus Period, your service will operate without restrictions if you have Data Allowance available in either your Bonus Bytes or Anytime Allowance. Outside the Bonus Period, your service will operate without restrictions if you have Data Allowance available in your Anytime Allowance. If you do not have bytes available in the period, your speed will be reduced to approximately 150kbps

Alerted Hughesnet customer support and  customer support supervisor who basically told me that I was being stupid and that 12kpbs was approximately 150kpbs. Told them I would take the matter up with the FCC told me basically they do not care. Supervisor started arguing with me in broken English and told me FCC or any other government agency would not help.  They also admitted to throttling the service to this speed so it is not a tech issue.

To put it in perspective the speed test used to troubleshoot the problem took 5 minutes to load. To add insult to injury I am now getting popups to pay my bill even though I am on invoice billing and my bill is not due until 3/31.  
12 REPLIES 12
bdvvdd12

Well not much can be done without knowing who you are. Post your modem serial number or any recent case numbers so the reps can locate your account. If your speeds are being reduced that much, there may be something wrong. 

When you go to http://192.168.0.1 does it show any problems?
Are you connected with a wireless router?
How Many devices are on your network? If you have a lot of devices the bandwidth will be shared and will overall be a bit slower. 
150kbps =  ~18 KBps

Which speed test are you using? Hughesnet uses
http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/
http://testmy.net/

(If you use testmy.net remember to select the 12MB file size.)

As for the FCC, they are pretty useless. If you want to get something fixed this community is the best way to do so.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There are 8 bits in a byte.

KB vs Kb

You contracted for a service plan of a defined size ..... You then completely deplete your allowance, despite having three usage meters to gauge your rate of usage and then complain because you are in FAP ?

What do you expect the FCC to do ? YOU used up all your data.

If you buy a gallon of milk and then drink it all do you then wish to complain to every governmental agency on planet Earth that is SHOULD have 5 quarts per gallon ?

You complain that that you can not run a speed test while under FAP conditions ?

And what is kpbs ? some kind of a fruit ? nut ? berry ?

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Sadly, If the customer only drinks half of the gallon, they can't save the other half for next month"

Nope, they get stale and shriveled.

Have you ever seen a picture composed of shriveled pixals ?

Its not pretty.

Chris11
Alum

Hi Jeffery,

We appreciate the post and would like to welcome you to the community! I think Brandon's post highlights all the points I was going to make. All speeds will vary depending on the way your network is setup. For example, whether your using a router and how many devices are connected. With that said you I am a bit confused as well on how you are writing out your speed test results. Just for reference on the speeds:

What speed test are you using?

- Chris
jefferywgreen

The one suggested by the tech dept at HN (testmy.net) it took over 5 min just to run the test as it was running at such a slow speed. The tech said this was not right and then told me it had been throttled to that speed 12kbps. 
jefferywgreen

Better question...who in the hell trolls customer questions on a hughesnet customer relations message board. Please tell me you work for HN otherwise your parents/legal guardian should seriously consider evicting you from their basement.   
Chris11
Alum

Hi Jeffery,

That is the correct speed test website. However what test size are you using? It should be 12 MB.

- Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

12MB at 12kbps?  Got a few hours?  J/K. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Um yea, something is amiss here, 2:19:48 to be exact.

http://www.download-time.com/

GabeU

I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s, I could do 10MB in a little under an hour, on average.  Updates back then were feasible with that speed, but certainly not today.  Can you imagine a Net Framework update on those speeds?  Ugh!   

BTW, great site.  It can come in handy. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It shows why when we are getting 20 Mbps speeds the 12MB test jumps to much larger file sizes as only takes 5 seconds and Testmy.net needs 7 seconds of steady speed.
GabeU

That's why, during the off peak times when I get those 20+ Mbps speeds, I use the 15MB test, rather than letting it jump up to the 30+ MB sizes due to the 12MB test not lasting long enough, so I don't waste data.  I do use the 12MB test for peak times, though.