Throttled

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schalid
Sophomore

Throttled

Man I have been throttled for a couple days and my speed is at dialup speed!! 56kps

16 REPLIES 16
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@schalid 

The first thing to check is that you're not out of data.  If you're not out of data, the next step would be to run some speed tests.  It would be wise to do a few this evening, if you can, and then post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL so that the reps can take a look at them, as they're here tomorrow but will be off for the weekend.  

Please be sure to read the testing instructions thoroughly before running the tests in order to insure that they're run properly, then post your "My Results" page URL.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

I am out of data. Thats why I am being throttled. But 56kps is ridiculous!!

GabeU

@schalid wrote:

I am out of data. Thats why I am being throttled. But 56kps is ridiculous!!

You may still want to run a few tests to demonstrate the low throttle speed.  

@GabeU wrote:

@schalid 

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

While reading this topic I detect this message that I just quoted I was told not to disable that again as Hughesnet told us on the phone few weeks ago that because it is against Hughesnet's rule.

@Ryan11433 wrote:

While reading this topic I detect this message that I just quoted I was told not to disable that again as Hughesnet told us on the phone few weeks ago that because it is against Hughesnet's rule.

Haha... wut? I sincerely doubt they have a rule about disabling wifi and it was poor attempt at humor.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Disabling the wifi or the radios is not against HughesNet's rule, Ryan.

@Ryan11433 wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Disabling the wifi or the radios is not against HughesNet's rule, Ryan.

Good to know but at the system control center system summary shows 

State Code 0.0.0 -- Fully operational

Then I again disabled it shows

State Code 14.2.3 -- Both WiFi radios are off

UPDATE: It is back on it was temporary disabled to reproduce the bug. It has to be back the way it was.

It causes internet connection problems.

maratsade

I understand what you mean, but when we do a speed test, we need to be connected directly to the modem. When that happens, we don't need the wifi, so it's OK to disable it. 

maratsade

" It is back on it was temporary disabled to reproduce the bug."

It's not a bug. 

@maratsade wrote:

It's not a bug. 

Okay I mean issue then.

maratsade

It's not an issue either. it's like flipping a switch to turn off the light. You flip the switch, the light turns off. It's not a bug, it's not an issue, it's not a problem. It's just what happens when you flip the switch.

When people run speed tests, they need to turn off wifi by disabling the radios.  This is necessary so the tests can be run as the techs require them.  After the test is done, the radios can be re-enabled. 

GabeU

@Ryan11433 wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

It's not a bug. 

Okay I mean issue then.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by this.  By "issue" do you mean the speed problem?  Are you saying that while testing with a LAN cable connected device the speed drops when you disable the WiFi and gets better when the WiFi is re-enabled?

The phone reps have their own methods for speed testing.  The testing here is required to be done via LAN cable because it's a solid connection method, taking any problems the WiFi could be introducing out of the equation, and with the WiFi disabled to ensure there is no bandwidth sapping by a WiFi connected device.

Look I really don't understand why it has to be on that we are not using it because we are using Linksys routers with our own WiFI. It has to be back on because its the rule? it is the way it is. Again it has to be back the way it is. 

GabeU

THERE IS NO RULE!  What you were told by the phone rep is nonsense.  It doesn't have to be on.

In fact, a 'rule of thumb' when using a 3rd party router (this is the first you've mentioned this) is that the WiFi in the HT2000W should be DISABLED, as you don't want it to interfere with your Linksys WiFi.   

During speed testing, however, you should be using a device that is connected directly to the HT2000W modem via LAN cable.  The testing device should be the ONLY thing connected to the HT2000W (disconnect your Linksys router during testing) and with the WiFi in it disabled (if it isn't already).  The Linksys router should be completely out of the picture when speed testing.

The fact that you get something other than 0.0.0 is not necessarily an error, an issue, a bug, or anything other than just a status alert that says the wifi is disabled. Same for transitional statuses that say when the dish can't see the satellite. This particular one is just so people that complain that their wifi doesn't work know *why* it doesn't work.

Not sure why this is such a big deal.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Liz

Good morning schalid,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!