cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling!!!!

Throttling!!!!

I'm a new customer to Hughes net and so far I don't feel that they are delivering on what I've paid for. My speed tests have consistently been around 5mbps on download when I'm supposed to be getting 25mbps as I was told when I purchased it. I've called customer service tech support about it and it just proves that the tech support crew can adjust my speed because the guy had me do multiple speed tests and then no less than ten minutes it's at 5mbps AGAIN!! I've tested it at 5am and the worst is 5pm most of the time I'm not even getting 1mbps down in the evening but when I call oh it jumps up as high as 60mbps down proving that they can throttle it. What **bleep**. I'm paying a premium because I have an E-commerce BUSSINESS I'm loosing money every day with HUGHES NET! IVE EXPLAINED THAT I BOUGHT IT TO WORK FROM NOT "SURF" I UNDERSTAND DATA USAGE AND IM AT 97% OF ALLOWED DATA. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET WHAT "I WAS TOLD" I AM "SUPPOSED TO GET!! I DECIDED TO HAVE HUGHES NET INSTALLED TO WORK FROM HOME BECAUSE MY WIFE IS "VERY" PREGNANT. IM REGRETTING MY DECISION TO HAVE "HUGHES" INSTALLED. THEY ARE NOT DELIVERING WHAT I WAS PROMISED. LIKE A BAIT AND SWITCH THATS PRETTY CRAPPY INTEGRITY IF YOU ASK ME. JUST PUT THE **bleep** SPEED AT 25 LIKE ADVERTISING AND SALES EXPLAINED. IF IT COSTS MORE ILL PAY!! AND LEAVE THE SPEED ALONE. IF YOU CANT DELIVER THE SPEED CONSISTENT THEN DONT PROMISE IT ITS JUST BAD BUSINESS. Didn't the big AT&T giant get a class action on this very thing?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Throttling!!!!

A couple things will help us help you:
1. Generally, what city are you in?
2. When were you installed?
3. Do you know what service you are on (ie, Gen4, Gen 5, or Spaceway)?

4. What modem model do you have?

5. Which plan do you actually have? Also, you mention business, are you on a business plan or residential?

Associate Professor

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Sophomore

Do you want to know why you're not getting your contracted speed. Read the post under "Tech Support" titled "Why am I paying so much and can't stream Netfix"