Hughesnet Community

Time of day data was used?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lab-Lover

Time of day data was used?

We, like so many other people, have found ourselves throttled and we are trying to find the source. Going in to my data usage history, I can see 2 1/2 days where the data was "dinged" pretty hard. This past weekend, I can account for. However, it was dinged again on July 16. Is there a way to go in to the data usage graph, or someplace else, to see what time of day it was dinged on the 16th? Thanks... this forum looks like the answer for us, customer service is disappointing. Kim
67 REPLIES 67
Chris11
Alum

Hello Kim,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! If you are a windows user the best thing to do is install glasswire. You can find it here www.glasswire.com/features. Glasswire when installed on a computer will track all running tasks, apps, etc on your computer and track how much data they use per day, week, and month. If you have multiple computers just make sure to install it on each. That way you can see what programs are using data and when. If they were updates or from your own browsing habits. 

You can typically see an hour by hour log of usage on the customer support center by logging on here http://my.hughesnet.com. I'm guessing your only using the status meter?

- Chris
ericdanielle

Lab-Lover,

Well, I'm sure you've been looking for a response.  I can tell you that as a new customer of Hughesnet, I have found that if I am signed into My Dashboard, I can click on Support Center.  From that location if you look at the right of the screen, you will see a Internet Usage link.  If you click on that you can see the past 12 hours of use, and some other views as well.  The problem would be trying to see past days.  That now is a good question...

Also, just my two cents, I'm worried that a lot of folks are signing up to Hughesnet on the "lower" plans, like 10gb/50gb.  I've mentioned it before on some other posts, but 10 gig anytime allowance is no where near enough data in a month if you plan on doing any HEAVY internet use.  My wife and I have the Ultra plan, 50/50.  Its not just downloading that counts against you, its uploads as well.  ALL DATA.  So if a person likes emailing pictures to grandma of baby, a picture can be 2-3MB in it's self.

Just some friendly info!  🙂

Take care,

Eric

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Eric, not all plans are  available everywhere. The Ultra plan is only available on a few beams in a few areas. The cost can vary for different areas also. What one person pays for say the 10/50 plan in one area another person may pay more or less for in another area. It is all based on beam and gateway loading for the areas served.

Pretty sure the majority of people would take the 50/50 Ultra plan if it were available to them.
ericdanielle

Very true BirdDog, I forgot that it is based upon location.  I'll just be happy with were I am!  😉
Lab-Lover

Since I wrote this post a Hughes net Rep has called me to discuss. According to him, these extreme data usages just weren't possible by a household such as ours. We were downloading up to 3gigs an hour. He suspects Direct TV was doing some sort of upgrade? I am calling direct tv when I get home to see if they were upgrading in our area.
Lab-Lover

Thanks Chris, I will definitely load in to my system, but, will have to wait 7 days until I get more data.... I don't want to use token data for this and I have another week to go.
Lab-Lover

Bird Dog, can I just say I love your screen name? We have a bird dog as well...
Lab-Lover

Eric, I was trying to determine data usage from July 16, I was able to get the specific info hour by hour from the Hughes net rep
Chris11
Alum

Hi Kim,

Do you have your Direct TV connected to your network? Via WiFi or Ethernet? That could definitely cause a spike in data usage.

- Chris
Lab-Lover

Yes, it is connected.
Lab-Lover

Chris, would t possibly cause that much data usage? My husband literally re connected it on July 15, that night is when we had the first issue. I have asked him to DC it immediately. However, then we do not have acces to direct tv on demand, etc. How do we access that?
ericdanielle

That's actually really good to know!
ericdanielle

Directv On Demand pre loads movies and TV shows...  Liz the official Rep on here indicated that to me.  On Demand will kill your data unfortunately as it sounds.

Hi ericdanielle,

We're glad to have you here! Thank you for taking the time to post and offer some positive comments. Since you mentioned getting DirecTV, be careful with the OnDemand service, as that will use a LOT of data.

Here's a good start to finding more positive threads about HughesNet!
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet?topic-list[settings][type]=praise

I'll defer to any community members here who've played The Division for their experiences.

We're here if you need anything.

-Liz
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Chris11
Alum

Hi Kim,

That explains it. DirecTV does use a lot of data, and it doesn't really give you forewarning either. If you do use it I would recommend only doing so for short amounts of time. Or connect it only during the bonus period so it can load, update, etc only during off hours. 

- Chris
Lab-Lover

Just got off the phone w direct tv, they did NOT do any updates on either day in my area. And if they did, the data used was extremely excessive... So, phone call number 3, back to Hughes net
Lab-Lover

I can't even tell you how frustrated I am at this point. Seriously.
Lab-Lover

For the record. We do NOT watch on demand, we do not stream movies. Our bandwidth is too slow, we thought we would solve the problem w Hughes net but this did not happen. When we attempt to download or stream, the movie buffers , this equally goes for you tube videos. They buffer, we don't watch them.
Lab-Lover

Thanks BirdDog, you send anLOt of good info. I have learned a ton just in one day from everything you have sent over. I truly appreciate it!
Chris11
Alum

Hi Kim,

A update is not the only event that can cause your DirecTV to use up data. Was the 15th the first time every plugging it up to your HughesNet system? To help speed up the process and facilicate further troubleshooting I've added some token bandwidth to your account. You should be able to download glasswire on all computers and begin tracking on those devices. As for DirecTV if it was the first time, like most devices it will update to communicate with the servers, just like a computer would which has been offline for a while with no new configurations etc. 

If it is not, at this point you'll have bandwidth to work with, which should help you pinpoint other potential data leaks. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris