Hughesnet Community

Time of day data was used?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lab-Lover

Time of day data was used?

We, like so many other people, have found ourselves throttled and we are trying to find the source. Going in to my data usage history, I can see 2 1/2 days where the data was "dinged" pretty hard. This past weekend, I can account for. However, it was dinged again on July 16. Is there a way to go in to the data usage graph, or someplace else, to see what time of day it was dinged on the 16th? Thanks... this forum looks like the answer for us, customer service is disappointing. Kim
67 REPLIES 67
Chris11
Alum

Kim,

Seems I missed a few messages while typing. As for the buffering, is that after your data depleted or before?

- Chris
Lab-Lover

The buffering has occurred since we have had Hughes net. This is the first time that the data has been depleted in this way. The first time we depleted, our package that we purchased was too small. Which I explained to the sales guy that I thought it was too small, and he assured me. Whatever the case, the buffering has occurred since before and after we have had Hughes net. We have never watched a movie on demand or streamed a movie. I truly don't even know that that is like. You can see though, my frustration began since the sales call with HN, so I am tired. Really tired. Thanks for trying, I do appreciate it. It is just going to take a lot to make me see any good in this right now. However, I am and will keep trying.
Lab-Lover

THANK YOU FOR THE TOKENS! I APPRECIATE THAT AND WILL GET THEM UP AND RUNNING TONIGHT!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Buffering can happening on the best operating system especially in HD which is not recommended on satellite capped service. Any streaming should be done in 360p or better yet 240p (SD or low definition). Besides greatly reducing any buffering it also save a TON of data allowance.
Lab-Lover

like i said, we do not download or stream movies, no netflix acct, nothing. buffering happens 100% of the time any time we have tried. we eventually gave up. we now buy the entire series on dvd and watch something if we want to see something, Unfortunately, this means we dont always watch the shows that are current.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Using a router? Does it buffer when directly connected to the modem?

DPC Latency Checker tests your connection and computer to determine if they can handle streaming. Shave 500us off for Windows 8.1 and 10 due to compatibility issues.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

My result which is top of green after deducting 500us for using Windows 8.1:

Buffering always happens at the beginning to load the cache but should not be constant once the video begins.
Lab-Lover

hi Chris, i am not exaggerating, I have been on the phone for over 2 hours with three different techs. I am now on the phone with Home tech. the tech has advised me to NOT download Glasswire, as it is not "transparent" and you don't know what they are doing to the system... so, while it sounds great and I was prepared to download the PRO system, at 99.00... i am not as sure as to what to do...currently, i am absolutely exhausted, and admittedly near tears, because one tech, will be nice and helpful, and the next will be condescending and rude... i had one tech say in a snarky tone, "perhaps you need to discuss with her husband what he does when you are asleep?" I had the same tech tell me that he was sure i have children and i was not divulging it, basically, i am lying. Frankly, would YOU or any other tech like to see the Dr reports explaining WHY I am physically unable to have children? I am seriously.... I am literally at the end of this saga.   I am going to DC the wifi and walk away... i will come back another day.... i am over done.
lindenbum

Write your states attorney generals office.  In the future save the transcripts of the file to forward.  You may have a criminal case in which you should contact your local police department to log a complaint.  The law is very specific to how a business can treat you and could be liable to a law suit, but you must follow procedures, and file a complaint with local law enforcement for criminal charges, or an attorney for liable cases.  Keep a record of who you talked to, the dates and time.  The Attorney General of your state can act on your and other consumers behalf, but cannot represent you as your attorney.   
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Lab-Lover,

I have no idea why any tech would tell you to avoid Glasswire.  I can't fathom it.   Perhaps that particular tech is averse to using anything free.  I use Glasswire, as do a ton of people on here, including many of the Champions.  Glasswire won't do anything to your system other than monitor it.  It does to your system exactly what you want it to do.   

The free version of Glasswire is fine.  Glasswire does have it's limitations, as in it can only monitor the device it's installed on, but it's still a great tool.  It would be able to show you exactly the info you are looking for, in that you can narrow the graph down to one hour.   

Also, I noticed some discussion below regarding DirecTV.  The bottom line is this...Hughesnet and DirecTV do not play well together.  Even when not watching anything on demand, your DirecTV receiver will continue to use data, and sometimes a LOT of it.  It will update the guide, program descriptions, and even download films that you never asked it to.  Having DirecTV connected to Hughesnet is a really bad idea.  Even when your DirecTV receiver is turned off it will continue to use your data because it's actually in standby mode, not really off. 

I would not doubt at all that your DirecTV receiver is where your data usage problem lies. 

To paraphrase Frankenstein's monster on SNL:  Glasswire good.  DirecTV bad.  

If you have a Smart TV, using that for Netflix and such will not use more data than the streaming itself (save for an occasional, small firmware or app update).      

billmiller43

I checked my usage before logging off and shutting down Monday. Under 1gb, but looked at my "History" and it was two days behind. Wed a.m. the usage showed almost 2gb, so it seems the history is NOT recorded in "Realtime"?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

bill,

I think it has a little glitch once in a while, but for the most part it seems right.  I've personally never noticed a problem.  Mine is correct as of right now, current through the previous complete hour, even checked against Glasswire.   

Amanda

Hi Lab-Lover,

I know I'm not your case manager here but I was looking at your account this morning and I see you just came online recently. I do see requests for remote access services - are you aware this is being used on your network? Also looks like multiple hits from an anti-virus pushing traffic as well as a streaming cloud service (you said you have Apple devices? do you use the Apple cloud that you're aware of?)

Amanda

p.s. Gabe is right - if you have DirecTV's box hooked up to the internet (wired or wireless) it's probably chunking out gigabytes of data from you
Lab-Lover

Good morning Amanda, yes, I am pulling up all of our devices at this moment and changing settings on everything to eliminate auto play, etc. Anything at all that is going to reduce my data. Referring back to an article that BirdDog posted on eliminating Data Usage.
In answer to my question, yes, Direct Tv was hooked up to my wifi since February 2016 when I initiated Hughes net service. Since you are apparently able to see my data usage, perhaps you can see that my data usage runs pretty much status quo, until July 16, July 22, July 23. And July 26. The amount of data downloaded those days was huge! Specifically, July 16, when a total of 14 GB of data was downloaded from 12p to 7p. Then, on July 22, a total of 12GB of Data was downloaded from 12 to 5a (there is some discrepancy between Am and Pm amoung the techs.) and on July 23, there was 5GB of Data Downloaded between 12-3am, and... One more, July 26, 6am-11am 15GB downloaded. That is a total of 46 GB of data downloaded thru my system over 20 accumulative hours...That is excessive.

CURRENTLY... Direct TV is NOT hooked up to my wifi.

As to the iCloud, yes, I have apple products and yes, they are hooked up to the iCloud at this moment. The iCloud Drive is currently ON. However, none of the devices are auto backing up to the iCloud at this time, because of this data usage issue, I want to be able to control WHEN I am backing up to the iCloud. I have an appointment with Apple on Sunday to discuss an option of somehow setting my back ups to occur during my bonus data time. I have asked over and over again, if part of this issue is related to iCloud, and the only tech who would come through with a straight forward answer, (Martin) said, "ICloud is NOT the issue, it leaves a signature and I can tell it was not the issue". In all honesty, I am willing to bet, iCloud is "part" of a data usage. I do not however, believe it is the Whole issue, because, do you think this amount of data can be downloaded by tablets and phones? (I am speaking in general terms).

I have documented everything, I have sent an email requesting a phone call from a tech or service personnel who can speak to me on a professional level, treating me with respect, as I will treat them. I do hope that phone call comes today, as I have cleared the entire day to wait for it.

I do appreciate your help Amanda, thank you so much for trying to get some insight. However, I think I would rather take my concerns at this point about my data usage to Hughes net directly and not thru a community board. Because, seriously, at this point, this issue has become way bigger due to the way I was treated yesterday. Again, thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it. Have a wonderful day. Kim
Amanda

Hi Kim

So let me first address the issue with our agents - we can definitely have that looked into and your calls listened to. We don't want our agents throwing out accusations or making our customers uncomfortable. I am sure you can imagine this is the last thing we want. It will be checked out.

I want to first explain that I can't see specific traffic at specific times, but a general "traffic type" at any given time (think of a chart that shows chunks of data types in categories) so I won't be able to break down specific days and times for you. I don't see anything related to DirecTV which is good, but saw it was mentioned and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on that.

In regards to the iCloud - it most definitely has to be connecting somewhere, because its coming up in the traffic analysis. I don't know who the tech Martin is, but he is most certainly wrong and I will look through the notes to find him. Non-corporate agents do not have access to that kind of information anyway.

Last thing which is most important... I did in fact see remote access requests as I mentioned in my post above. Do you use something like a VPN, LogMeIn, TeamViewer or anything? Can you check your devices/computers for a program like this? It was the first thing to load up on traffic, so I suspect its something that turns on when you boot up one of your devices. 

Thanks
Amanda
Lab-Lover

I am not familiar w the program's you asked about, VPN,LogMeIn etc. I will most definitely look for those. Amanda, I truly do not get it, everyone has been blaming direct Tv, are you saying it is NOT direct tv? I think this is prob the most frustrating thing, every tech I speak with has a different solution. I realize that Data can be like that, but it is still frustrating. Thanks again for your time. I will check those programs.
Amanda

Hi Kim

Well, maybe its because you had just mentioned DirecTV everyone automatically assumes its the problem.. I did too.. I don't see any hint of it in the traffic data, so as long as you keep it OFF the internet, you're okay. 

Chris and I can keep an eye on the system today while you poke around your devices and see if anything suspect pops up. I appreciate you taking the time to work through this with us.

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Kim, if I may butt in, she is not saying any one thing IS the problem, including DirecTV. They are just things to look for. Very hard to remotely tell what is happening on anyone's end with their computer(s), so many different possibilities. All of us can try our best to help you narrow it down though.

Unplugging DirecTV from the nternet and looking for any VPN plug-ins on your browser is a start. Along with checking for and stopping any kind of cloud syncing.
Lab-Lover

The program's you mentioned, Log Me In, would this be a program someone would use to access our computers from another place? Our personal tech has access to our systems. I asked him to check and do a clean out of my desk top to check for viruses last night. We have virus control that is updated and runs. I am not sure what his workload was last night, he may be doing it this morning. I have texted and asked. Yes, he is very reliable, honest, insured, bonded, and is a tech for numerous huge companies in the area. He is also aware of our issue and I have kept him up to date on what is happening concerning our data issues. I see him once or twice a week on a personal level.
I found Log Me In doing a search on both computers, not sure if this is in a standard package when you purchase the computer etc? Thanks. Kim
Lab-Lover

Amanda, question, what is your opinion of Glasswire? It was the Home Tech representative who advised against it. My personal tech advised against it as well. However, he tends to be super conservative on programs that "watch things", so I expected that answer and wasn't necessarily planning to follow his advice. However, when the home tech rep said the same thing, it concerned me. They both said there was not enough "transparency" in the program.
Amanda

Hi Kim

Yes, that is definitely a program your tech guy would use. The issue is that there was movement showing, so that means there was an active connection this morning. I agree that you should check and see if he got in today so we can correlate it to any usage logged. It would also be good to know what he might have done. Keep in mind those programs do use a good amount of data too.
Remote Access from Microsoft is a standard program, but does not automatically run. LogMeIn would be 3rd party software that isn't automatically downloaded.

Thanks
Amanda

edit:

Just saw your second post. Glasswire is used by many of our customers here and I personally do not see it as a threat, but I don't see it as user-friendly either. I found it kind of hard to navigate myself and don't like that you can only monitor whatever its installed on. I would really recommend getting firmware for your router to do this instead. I believe our members have a recommended one, can't recall.
Lab-Lover

BirdDog , you may butt in anytime. From what I can see, I think you need a job at HN! Or at least tokens!? LOLOLO advice was noticed. Thanks.