Hughesnet Community

Time of day data was used?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lab-Lover

Time of day data was used?

We, like so many other people, have found ourselves throttled and we are trying to find the source. Going in to my data usage history, I can see 2 1/2 days where the data was "dinged" pretty hard. This past weekend, I can account for. However, it was dinged again on July 16. Is there a way to go in to the data usage graph, or someplace else, to see what time of day it was dinged on the 16th? Thanks... this forum looks like the answer for us, customer service is disappointing. Kim
67 REPLIES 67
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks, but I get enjoyment from simply helping people whenever possible like the other Champions here and customers like GabeU. Kind of relaxing for me while having morning coffee. 🙂

Sometimes just getting people to understand satellite internet and its limitations is helping.
Lab-Lover

Amanda, I spoke to my tech guy. Yes, he installed LogMeIn and yes he was in the system this morning cleaning the desk top as per my request. He only goes in to the system at our request, or he alerts us of a need to go in to the system. I will ask my tech guy about firmware for the router.
penny.garver

I have been fighting with Hughesnet about this for the last few weeks. I told them I have never had an issue of running out of allowance in my entire time of being a customer. But now the last three months, I continue to use all my allowance, since I was sent the new modem. Of course they keep telling me that is not the problem. I am not doing anything differently. 
Lab-Lover

Penny, what type of data amounts is your system downloading? Please keep in touch w me. Kim
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Lab-Lover,

Just an idea.  I noticed your comment above, and if you feel a little uncomfortable with talking on public message board due to your concerns being more involved, or if you would rather deal solely with the reps, you can always create a new post and make it private during the process.  With doing this, only the Official Reps can see your post and replies and only they can converse with you, which would keep it completely private for you.  The reps on here are at the corporate level, have a lot of experience with helping to pinpoint problems and solutions, and can speak directly with the engineers, which may actually give you much more thorough and involved support than what you can get from the phone reps.

Again, this is just an idea, but I thought I would mention it.   

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lab-lover,

Amanda posted earlier:

"Just saw your second post. Glasswire is used by many of our customers here and I personally do not see it as a threat, but I don't see it as user-friendly either. I found it kind of hard to navigate myself and don't like that you can only monitor whatever its installed on. I would really recommend getting firmware for your router to do this instead. I believe our members have a recommended one, can't recall."

I have used Glasswire without issue for over a year. There is a lot of information displayed so "navigating" could be a little difficult at first but there are a couple of "views" that go straight to the problem ... what used my data and when did it occur.

Here are a couple if screenshots:

Setup:

Understanding the output:

Defining a specific period:

The downside to Glasswire, as Amanda stated, is that it will only show traffic on the single computer on which it is installed. While it can be installed on multiple computers and the data correlated it still leaves the issue of wireless devices.

The only sure way then is to remove the router from the picture and test one computer at a time or get a router that will allow the use of third party firmware such as Merlin that will run on certain routers so that the router can track usage by device:

Lab-Lover

Thanks! I had no idea that was an option! I appreciate it! I will definitely look to see how that is done.
Lab-Lover

Gabe, do I start a new post to make it private? Thx
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I believe the Mods can take this post private at your request.

If starting a new topic look for this option during the topic creation:

Lab-Lover

Thank you so much! I appreciate it so much!
Lab-Lover

I must say, ALL of you who have posted on this dilemma of mine have been extremely helpful. I really appreciate it... If I could figure out a way to have HN give free tokens, I would!!! Thank you!
Lab-Lover

This is great info, thanks!
Amanda

Hey now, Gabe got a free mug thing once. 😛 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

BirdDog calls me the Hughesnet Data Miser.

Years of getting by on a legacy plan of 250 MB per day taught me how to bite a byte so hard it screams. 🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Picture I took of Gwalk just last week. Those bills are really coupons for tokens on the back:

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Those are "Gen$4 bux".

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Kim,

FYI:

There is  a way to look back further on past usage but with a few caveats:

#The "tool" is no longer supported as it was intended for what is now legacy plans

# If the look-back date is 24 hours or less there will be some line item hours that contain errors.

# The display is listed from the perspective of the eastern time zone so you will have to make the appropriate correction id you are in other than eastern time zone.

# The values have to be taken with a grain of salt as these are "gross" values instead of "net usage" that is actually charged against your data allotment

# You will have to enter your SAN that starts with the capitalized letters DSSxxxxxxxx and can be found at the top center of the modems internal SCC found at 192.168.0.1:

# Never post your SAN online !

# Keep in mind that this is a "History" not a real-time usage meter

The page output looks like this:

The page can be found here:

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frmUsage.cfm

Again, use this as a guide, not gospel.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Yep.  A water bottle.  I use it almost every day. 

Lab-Lover

Thank you SO MUCH! This tool is very good! I realize it may not be accurate to the point, but it gives me an idea and it helped us to see what our "typical" usage is. It only seems to go back about 3 months or so? It doesn't go back to when we first became customers... Thanks so much! I am taking a crash course in data and I am learning a ton thru this community! I always heard theses data amounts tossed around, but I never knew how it related to us, and what is normal and what is not. Through this community I am learning what the data amounts are and now thru this site, I am learning the general idea of what these data amounts mean as they relate to us. Thanks so much!
penny.garver

KIm,
I am only on for a couple of hours in the morning. I work 2nd shift. Now when I am done, I unplug my ethernet cable and seems to not be using allowance like before. But, I should not have to do that. I am looking for a new Satellite company. Exede will give me more for the same price. Very seldom when I call Hughes, do I get someone I can understand. Then, they just keep telling me it is on my end. UGH!! My usage resets on the 8th of each month, July 8th, when I signed on, I had already used 18% of my allowance!
Lab-Lover

Thanks for keeping me posted Penny. I absolutely agree about the difficulty of calling in. Out of the 4 techs I spoke with, one was professional and acted in a business like manner. That is a 25% customer satisfaction, not that great. However, once I got in to here, the community, the reps are fantastic! It just boggles my mind that a company conducts and utilizes the "community" to solve its issues. I literally stumbled upon it. But now, when I look at the site, they actually DO suggest that you go to the "Community". Very interesting concept, but if you think about it, it saves the company time and money? Anyway, that was just an aside comment and thought.

As for data usage, I am learning that a lot of our devices chug along using data while we are asleep. However, pulling the Ethernet cord, would prob stop that from happening? But there are others on here that could tell you for sure. If you want advice on that, you may want to ask again in a new post, this post has gotten so long stuff is buried.

I will definitely pay attention when my data resets on Aug 3rd to see what I start with! THANK YOU FOR THAT HEADS UP!

As for other companies, we are limited in that by where we live...sadly.

Kim