cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for getting help with slow speed issues

Professor

Re: Tips for getting help with slow speed issues

@GabeU wrote:

Well, evidently my post was "inappropriate", as it was deleted.  I guess it's okay to tell people to not listen to the former champions, but it's not okay to rebut that statement.  

Was that a new post?  Your post starting with "There have been numerous times where the "so called champions" and others have helped people with their speed issues" is still there.

Sophomore

I certainly hope that all that time and work is not necessary with Hughes.  I too, have been very disappointed in my service, and today is my one week anniversary with Hughes (Happy Anniversary to me!).  I have had issues with VERY slow service.  But performing all of these tests should not be necessary.  I have tested my internet with the Hughes phone app, and it tests "Excellent" on the app.  I have a Google (brand new) mesh router that actually increases my speed when I use it with my router.  My Google app rates the speed as "Slow, but good enough for web use". The speed meter on the Hughesnet site while connected via my Google router is:  Download: .06 mps, Upload .20mps.  Connected directly with my Hughes router:  Download: .13mps, Upload: .30mps.  This is horrible!  I also can't use my MagicJack phone service that is prepaid for two years, and the PC Essentials program will not work with my computer.  Support was called last night and they basically told me to uninstall, reboot, reinstall- then hung up on me.  I did that three times, and each time downloading the program took almost 12 minutes each time.  This is just insane to me.

I don't see how I am going to stay with Hughes - thankfully, Spectrum told me that if I am not happy after 30 days with Hughes they will gladly buy out my contract to get me back.  That is looking more and more enticing as each day goes by.  I never had to even think about all of this before.  I fired up my system and it just worked - and worked well. 

I wish you all the best of luck with this.  I am going to call again tomorrow and see what can be done, but I'm about done here.  It's been too much, too stressful and way too much work to get internet that works.  I'll gladly pay Spectrum more not to have all of these hassles.  The grass is certainly not always greener on the other side!  Smiley Very Happy

Distinguished Professor IV

TampaGal,

The speed tests requested when someone is having speed issues, and the protocol for those speed tests, are necessary to begin determining what could be causing the problem.  There are a multititude of things that can affect speed, so a simple speed testing protocol is requested of the customer, and if it's determined that there is a problem on Hughesnet's end, the mods and engineers determine what to do to alleviate the problem.  

That Spectrum is willing to pay the $400 ETF is quite interesting.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Professor

@TampaGal: "I don't see how I am going to stay with Hughes - thankfully, Spectrum told me that if I am not happy after 30 days with Hughes they will gladly buy out my contract to get me back.  That is looking more and more enticing as each day goes by.  I never had to even think about all of this before.  I fired up my system and it just worked - and worked well. "

It sounds like you were mostly happy with Spectrum, so your path seems clear, and it's great that they will pay the early termination fee for you!  Also great that you have options in your area; a lot of people don't.  I'm sorry that Hughes didn't work out for you, but it doesn't work for everyone, and I'm glad you have alternatives.  Best of luck to you!

Sophomore

TampaGal,

Your best bet for getting any kind of real help is to start a new thread. Hughe's reps will then see it and, since your install is so new, may be able to do something for you. Continuing to post in this thread is not likely to draw the attention of Hughe's reps to your problem.

Good luck

Honorary Alumnus

Curtis,

This is TampaGal's topic.

There is no longer a 30 grace period so all subscribers are subject to the 24 month commitment. There are of course some cases where the user was mislead during the sales call and the ETF is waived on a case by case basis.

In the case of TampaGal she has Cable Internet available through Spectrum. It would be a very poor choice indeed to go with a satellite connection when cable is available.

The ETF really is a non-issue in this case as Spectrum will buy out her Hughes contract.

Sophomore

Yes, but I just found out you have to do a one year contract with a full package to get that. Over an hour with tech support tonight and no more than .4 (1 time) mbps up or down. Thats just horrible. I would rather work it out with Hughes, but can't believe this problem. The installer said thst it showed slow but said once installed it will be ok. Not true!
Sophomore

I just did the math... $35/mo more than pkg I had, $420. Cheaper to pay $400 to Hughes, only I don't feel I should have to.
Sophomore

This is great information, and thank you for it! I have found that anytime I post something here in the community, I get a call from tech support within 24 hours, usually less. I don't know if I'll make it for three months at this rate but I am going to try to be patient with Hughes. They are courteous and professional. But one issue is not being able to use my voip phone, so I will either be forced to pay more to my cell co or getting voice service. Either way an added expense. I am going to continue to try to work this out and we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed!!
Sophomore

I agree that the tests are important. After all, if I have issues, my issues may help someone else's to be resolved if or when a solution is found. Spectrum's buyot offer actually will cost more in the end than paying the ETFs! Fine print tells that tale.