cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tokens & Data drain

Tokens & Data drain

So, put on a Token less than 20 minutes ago.  Checked my email (basic editions),checked a message board and logged into this HughesNet site.  I have AdBlocker installed and all my updates are manual, not automatic.  So far, in that approx. 20 minutes, I have supposedly used 12 MB of data!  Seriously?  What is going on here?
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Tokens & Data drain

Hi grapesb816,

Thanks for posting. You may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using that program: https://www.glasswire.com

I suggest having your PC directly connected to the HughesNet modem first and run GlassWire to monitor your usage. Hopefully the program will have some insight into your usage.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

And another question, why is my usage cycle 9/30 - 10/31? This makes it a 32 day cycle.   I always thought it was the first of the month through the last of the month.  Since my meter states my cycle started 9/30, then that would explain why I am over this month, because we were gone for 11 days in September and when we got back on the 29th, we assumed that since our cycle started the 1st, we did a lot of web surfing on the 30th. 

Now after writing this, my meter says I used another 3 MB to do it.

Looked at Glasswire, but don't really want to download it now since it is over a 20MB download.  Not sure how it will work with my anti-virus that is already on my system, either.  Status meter states I already used 20MB since loading in a token 1.5 hours ago, and the computer was not doing any surfing for about 50 minutes of that time.   

20 MB is what it takes to browse facebook for 5 minutes. Glasswire is a great tool to use for monitoring bandwidth. It works great with any anti-virus, I use it on all my machines, same with a good portion of the community. If you don't want to download glasswire or a similar tool, i don't see how you are going to figure out what is causing issues here. Therefore not going to get any troubleshooting done to figure out what is using bandwidth.
Assistant Professor

What my router reports for 8 AM this morning just doing general surfing:

People on the 5 GB Anytime plan soon realize how quickly 166 MB can go when that is the max they have to average everyday for the month.

Yes, I concur. I get  lot of use out of Hughes (when no data drain when my ethernet cable is unplugged)   I don't find 12MB at all unusual given what you reported.  AND I CHECK MY USAGE IN VARIOUS WAYS ALL THE TIME.  

When I bring in my e-mails (yes, i do have too much junk an dneed to get q new e-mail addy --  AArrgghhhhhh!!!!!!!0  it is from 4 to 10 MB for the e-mails, plainly visible in Outlook, if you go to SEND AND RECEIVE and right click and ask to SEE PROGRESS.  That will let you know how much your e-mail actually is AS IT IS COMING IN.  It won't do what Glasswire and other monitoring schemes, will do, and I do heartily recommend that too. That way, you won't have "sticker shock"  or "Meter shock" and think you have data drain when it was really you that used it.  

Hope this helps,

-Larry 

Hi grapesb816,

I saw some good insight from Brandon and sgoshe earlier regarding how much data can be used just by "regular browsing". It is your decision to not use GlassWire, although it would be very difficult to figure out what program(s) are using the most data on your computer. 

If you need help on trying to figure your data usage sources without a data monitoring program, perhaps some community members here may have some tips for you, just let us know of your progress.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Highlighted

Thanks everybody.  I will download glasswire when the new month starts, since I am running low now. 

I am still concerned with the 32 day data cycle for this month.  Can anybody explain why my cycle goes from 9/30 - 10/31 when it is supposed to be 10/1-10/31?

As I have said before, generally we are happy with HughesNet.  Have had it for almost 10 years because our only alternative is dial-up.  We have not been as happy overall with the Gen4 system.  We preferred the old daily system where we could monitor use better.  We have never noticed any difference in speed between the 2 systems and Gen4 is still affected by weather as much or even more than the old system. 

Good morning grapesb816,

You're correct, your data should reset on the first of every month. If you enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser, this takes you to your System Control Center (SCC). You will see that your data resets in 2 days, 14 hours, and about 30 minutes; basically, on Nov 1 once midnight hits.

Can you please take a screenshot of where you're seeing your usage cycle as 9/30 - 10/31? I'd like to send this to our developers.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz