Tokens used over Bonus Bytes?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wa
New Poster

Tokens used over Bonus Bytes?

I have noticed that my service seems to use token data before it will use bonus byte data even durring bonus byte hours. Can someone explain this to me? Is there a place this issue is explained on the Hughesnet site? I also see that the bonus byte usage is not really sticking to the 2am - 8am hours that are advertised. They say "Local Time" but I don't see this reflecting acuratly for my familiy. Is this a known issue too?

I tried searching the community posts but got so many returns that were not applicable to what I was asking. 

Thank you,

W A

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The way the data is used is

8:00AM to 2:00AM -- Anytime data ---> Token data
2:00AM to 8:00AM -- Bonus data --> Anytime data -- > Token data

If this is not how it's working for you, take screenshots that include your usage meter and the computer clock and post them here so the HN staff here can see what you see. 

wa wrote:

I have noticed that my service seems to use token data before it will use bonus byte data even durring bonus byte hours. Can someone explain this to me? Is there a place this issue is explained on the Hughesnet site? I also see that the bonus byte usage is not really sticking to the 2am - 8am hours that are advertised. They say "Local Time" but I don't see this reflecting acuratly for my familiy. Is this a known issue too?

I tried searching the community posts but got so many returns that were not applicable to what I was asking. 

Thank you,

W A

I will try to get screen shots but my data refills tomorrow tonight so it might be awhile. I have a token in effect right now but it is almost used up. If there is any left at 2am I will do a screen shot. 

Can you point me to where something on the site reflects the order of data usage like you have written down? I would like to see that information directly from Hughesnet. I have not been able to find it. (Probably not wording it correctly for the search maybe) Anything you could point me to would be appreciated.

W

GabeU

@wa 

Unfortunately, there's nothing on any official HughesNet page to describe the order in which the data is used.   

With this said, though, the way in which maratsade described the order of data usage is correct, with each successive data bank kicking in when the one before it has been exhausted during the given time period.  

During the 2AM to 8AM time period, Token data should ONLY be used after you've exhausted both your Bonus Bytes data AND Service Plan/Anytime data.  If, during that time period, your Token data is being used while you still have data in either of those data banks, something is not right.   

I valiantly tired to find something written about the order of the data usage but I can't come up with something. Maybe the reason it is not in writing is that they know they have a problem and they don't want to commit to the "logical" steps in data usage. My 30 year old son tested it out when he was here visiting last month. He wanted to watch a movie durring the 2am - 8am window. We were operating on a token but had almost full bonus bytes. He started around 3 am and realized about 5 am that the bonus bytes were not being used but the token was gone. 

I will have to watch for this next month as my token is used up already. If anyone can find anything in writing I would love to see it.

Thank you for your time!

W

maratsade

"I valiantly tired to find something written about the order of the data usage but I can't come up with something. Maybe the reason it is not in writing is that they know they have a problem and they don't want to commit to the "logical" steps in data usage."

They don't have a problem with this. It sounds like you may have a problem with this, which is why you need to do the screenshots so we can see what you see.  

Which is why I plan to do exactly that when the situation arrises again. But I am not going to purchase a new token so I can capture a screen shot. It is going to have to be next month as we always run out of data when I have family come over for holidays and such. 

maratsade

Sounds good.

wa wrote:

Which is why I plan to do exactly that when the situation arrises again. But I am not going to purchase a new token so I can capture a screen shot.

Hi just leaving this here:

http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen5.cfm

"If you have both Bonus Zone Allowance and Token Bandwidth available, then your Bonus Bandwidth will be used first during the Bonus Zone Period."

What maratsade originally stated is correct.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@wa wrote:

I valiantly tired to find something written about the order of the data usage but I can't come up with something. Maybe the reason it is not in writing is that they know they have a problem and they don't want to commit to the "logical" steps in data usage.  

It's more likely that they assume(d) that with there being sections on multiple official HughesNet web pages that list the Service Plan/Anytime data with no time restrictions, the Bonus Bytes as only being used between 2AM and 8AM, and that Data Tokens are used to bring the service back up to speed when you've been throttled due to being out of data, people would know and spelling it out was unnecessary.   

Additionally, perhaps they assume(d) that when someone has an issue where the description of the data usage might be deemed helpful and is then listed for them, like maratsade did, the intended recipient would take the information for what it is instead of going slightly off the deep end and using some sort of flawed "HughesNet is out to get us" logic to form a conclusion of there being a known issue that HughesNet is keeping secret from everyone.

Seriously GabeU,

The progression may be "logical" but when you see it NOT progress in the fashion you think is logical it makes you question the "logic".  Hence why I needed to post my question in the first place. You getting uppity because you don't like that I didn't immediately accept the unofficial answer I got is pretty ridiculous. I have dealt with enough **bleep** from Hughesnet to know they are anything but perfect. I have dealt with them enough to know that if you contact customer service with a question you are likely to get ten different answers from ten different representatives. I have dealt with them enough that I know an unwritten policy is no policy at all with this company. So YES I do want to see something in writing. I may not get to if it does not exist. But requesting something is not a crime nor is not believing a random unofficial stranger on the internet who presents me with a "logical" progression of usage. Sorry you are unahappy that I didn't faint at your wisdom. Sheesh... 

W

GabeU

@wa 

It has nothing to do with being "uppity", nor any need for you to "faint at my wisdom".  

What it does have to do with is a subscriber comically going off the deep end because information given to them isn't also shown on some official website in the same way.  "Oh, it's not explained like that on any of their official web pages?  It must mean that there's some kind of cover up of a problem!"  Really?  That must be why?  SMH.     

But hey, what do we know? 

Good luck to you.