Told by tech Hughes doesn't support Apple OS

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LakeCreek
New Poster

Told by tech Hughes doesn't support Apple OS

Case numbers:10/28- 133593013  and 11/3 (same issue) 133736444. Complete stonewalling by 2-different techs. Would not escalte to another tier. My email on my Mac is not being consistently delivered. Stated it's my problem, I should contact Apple. (I know, right??) Tech Rhian on 11/3 told me it's not Hughesnet's culture to support anything Apple, and if I want to be sure when I send email that it gets delivered, especially after the recent "upgrade to webmail" she kept referring, to then I should "change browsers". She parroted repeatedly that this was MY PROBLEM. As she was completely unfamiliar with the Mac OS platform she just blew me off saying the only way to be assured that my copious business email gets delivered is to switch to Google Chrome or Windows Explorer (that's right, a Microsoft product)  I can hardly believe that I can't run my Mac with it's built in mail program and built in Safari browser on Hughes. Since 2004 I have had numerous service issues with Hughes, mostly speeds so slow that are way worse than when I had a DSL connection, or when I had a dial-up connection, but never an issue where I'm basically told I have to run a PC to get my mail sent. 

27 REPLIES 27
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

When did you start experiencing this email issue? Was this on 10/28 or before? 

Hi maratsade, I started having a noticeable problem in Sept. when a client told me he hadn't received any of my mail. Also, last year this happened and when the mail actually generated anerror messageerror message unable to send error I thought I was being blocked by their spam blocker on their end. Today, I received the same unable to send message for mail I sent yesterday. Thanks.

GabeU

@LakeCreek 

Though this isn't a solution to your current issue, nor an attempt to dismiss it, it may be a good idea to start an account with one of the more popular fee email providers as a form of backup.  Again, that's not a solution, but only a suggestion for if you have issues, such as what you're experiencing right now. 

With this said, perhaps you already do this.

I'm sure the cause of the issue will be determined and a remedy will be forthcoming.

Thank you, GabeU. I did, of course try your suggestion. Gmail works but does not address the problem I described. Hopefully someone at Hughes will see this and find it as ridiculous as I do: you can only use Hughes if you have a PC, not a Mac. Right? Take care.

Liz

Hello LakeCreek,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! E-mail did have some downtime this morning, I'm sorry for that inconvenience. It was resolved, so please let me know if you're still unable to access your e-mail at this point.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz. Are you a bot? You clearly did not read my post. I DO NOT HAVE TROUBLE ACCESSING MY MAIL. Read my post and THEN get back to me. Also, I DID start my post in the appropriate board. Not feeling the love here, just more runaround and no real answer to this big problem.

GabeU

@LakeCreek 

Liz isn't a bot.  She's a corporate rep.  And in her defense, though you stated you're having a problem with email and your mac, your description is a bit open to interpretation.  So, to help drill down what's going on....

1.  The central problem is that at least some emails you send are not being received by the recipients, correct?

2.  The problem is with your hughes.net email, correct?  If not, is it a specific email service, or does the problem exist no matter what email service you use?

3.  The problem exists regardless of whether you're using your built in mail app/program or a browser with the webmail site, correct?

What you were told regarding your Mac and HughesNet is NOT correct.  You can use a Mac with HughesNet.  Many people do. 

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, so you likely won't get another reply from one until tomorrow.

Edit:  You posted an example of an email while I was typing this, so #2 is likely a redundant question.  Having said that, please keep in mind that anything posted on this website can be viewed by the public.  It may be a good idea to edit the email addresses out of the posted picture.  You can edit a post by clicking on the three vertical dots on the upper right of the post.

Apologizing to Liz.

I'm extremely frustrated. 

1. Yes, some (many) emails are not being received when sent from my Mac Mail program via Hughes, a POP account.

2. This only exists on Hughes.

3. I only have Safari and I only use Mail. No other browser. I occasionally use my g-mail account from Google which is my home page search engine. I never use Hughes webmail, so can't comment. I have a business that is dependant on communication via email, and my mail is organized in Mail. All my client files are there. I need email to get through when I push "send". 

Thanks very much.

Good morning LakeCreek,

Thank you for clarifying and providing that screenshot. I'll escalate this to our e-mail admins to address.

Are there other e-mail domains getting rejected when you email them from that particular @Hughes.net e-mail address? Or is it only when you e-mail anyone with the @randall-hurley.com domain?

Are you getting rejected e-mail notifications when you send from any of your other Hughes.net e-mail addresses? If so, private message me which ones as well as a copy of the e-mail rejection message, so I can also let our admins know and address.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

After spending a bunch of time complying with your request on PM, it failed to send saying there was an authentication error. I can't cut and paste because they're my clients.

Hi LakeCreek,

That's understandable, I think the main thing our e-mail admins want to look at is the bounceback/rejection email like the one you posted before, in this case we don't need to look at the content you're trying to send.

I got a reply back from the admins and they're reporting that delivery to the @randall-hurley.com domain is working normally at this time. Please retest sending them an e-mail and if you get a new rejection e-mail, please send it to me so our admins can have a look.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

After the original failure to @randall-hurley 2-of my emails went through to them. I'm getting the feeling that your people are going to think/say everything is okay here. I sent that screen shot as an example. So what if it went through for you, or for me on that attempt. What about the potentially dozens, or more, that Hughes has failed to send? How can I get the PM to function, which showed 5-more domains, as you requested? What was the authentication error? I included those 5-domains that either sent errors back, or didn't send an error but NEVER RECEIVED IT. I wrote one legal assistant to see if she received the email, and she did. Then I wrote again 2 or 3-minutes later and she never got it. See?This is the central issue. It appears arbitrary but every time I use Mail I NEVER KNOW now if the recipient got it.  Thanks.

I can certainly relay all this to the admins, they'll likely need more details about any other e-mails sent that weren't received (receipient e-mails, time sent, etc). 

When you try to PM me does that authentication error pop up constantly? Are you clicking that link from the e-mail notification of this message or directly in the community?

Alternately, you can e-mail the requested into to communitysupport@hughes.com. Please let me know if you've e-mailed something to that address so I can check.

-Liz

I am so angry, the reply to this post, including the attachment was denied d/t a stupid authentication error. This process is draconian, cumbersome and completely NOT user friendly. Just like my experiences with Hughes. Herre's the attachment from the error message after I replied to an email I received this morning from at msn. It clearly blames Hughes. This is one answer, but it does not explain ALL THE MAIL I SEND that does not get sent/received to others.

error message 11_7_20.jpeg

Good morning LakeCreek,

Thank you for the screenshot, I've sent it over to our e-mail admins. This authentication error is unusual; when you reply to the community are you doing it from the community notification e-mail or do you come directly to the community, log in, and then reply?

-Liz

Hi LakeCreek,

Got a quick turnaround; the e-mail admins have made an adjustment to get e-mails flowing once again to MSN domains. They can do this adjustment on a domain by domain basis, so for other folks who aren't receiving your e-mails, please let me know which domains they're on so I can pass them up as well.

-Liz

Good  morning, Liz. It's nice the techs fixed one domain problem, right? I have 4-more domains that got returned, a couple without a single error mesage. Will the techs go one-by-one through every domain on the web to discover and fix the problem that obviously lies with Hughes. I find it incomprehensible that this giant, multi-national corporation has email issues like this. How is Hughes to assure me that my emails are sent and the recipient receives them? There are a lot of domains out there, and for me personally, I'm estimating now that 30-50% of my sent mail fails to send because of Hughes. Do you think I should be paying my bill lacking full service from Hughes? Hughes is not delivering full service to me, and I'm assuming I'm not the only one. We have not even touched on the abysmal speeds, far below the threshold Hughes asserts we have. If you are capable of reviewing my account for the last 10-years, you'll see the speeds were NEVER what was promised and actually advertised. I can't even watch a YouTube video without constant re-buffering. So, there's that issue, as well. What exactly am I paying for? Completely unreliable email? Ridiculous speed issues? I don't even give a crap about the speed anymore, but I VERY MUCH CARE ABOUT THE EMAIL I'm paying Hughes to send and receive for me. What efforts are continuing by your tech people to actuall guarantee that the email service I've paid for since 2004 is functioning like every other domain service in the world? Thanks.

Good morning LakeCreek,

I understand your frustration, that is exactly how this works. "As for any other domains receiving similar messages, we need to migrate traffic to the secondary IP on a domain by domain basis."

So please send me the other affected domains so our e-mail admins can make appropriate adjustments for you. I will also include the rest of your concerns; your feedback is invaluable to us.

Thank you,

Liz

I find this nearly unbelievable. Hughes cannot guarantee that your email will deliver? How is that even remotely possible? Do you think MSN or gmail or Cox or CableOne, AT&T ad infinitum and other internet service providers require their customers to supply every single domain they might send mail to? You know they don't. This is not an answer, it is a ridiculous non-solution from people who have no idea how to fix this issue. Perhaps, if you're able, you can now provide me with a corporate address. As I am not getting the full service Hughes states they provide, I will see what the cost is for a reduced-service plan.

maratsade

"Perhaps, if you're able, you can now provide me with a corporate address."

You're connected to Corporate here -- Liz is a corporate rep.