Told by tech Hughes doesn't support Apple OS

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LakeCreek
New Poster

Told by tech Hughes doesn't support Apple OS

Case numbers:10/28- 133593013  and 11/3 (same issue) 133736444. Complete stonewalling by 2-different techs. Would not escalte to another tier. My email on my Mac is not being consistently delivered. Stated it's my problem, I should contact Apple. (I know, right??) Tech Rhian on 11/3 told me it's not Hughesnet's culture to support anything Apple, and if I want to be sure when I send email that it gets delivered, especially after the recent "upgrade to webmail" she kept referring, to then I should "change browsers". She parroted repeatedly that this was MY PROBLEM. As she was completely unfamiliar with the Mac OS platform she just blew me off saying the only way to be assured that my copious business email gets delivered is to switch to Google Chrome or Windows Explorer (that's right, a Microsoft product)  I can hardly believe that I can't run my Mac with it's built in mail program and built in Safari browser on Hughes. Since 2004 I have had numerous service issues with Hughes, mostly speeds so slow that are way worse than when I had a DSL connection, or when I had a dial-up connection, but never an issue where I'm basically told I have to run a PC to get my mail sent. 

27 REPLIES 27

Good morning LakeCreek,

I know in this particular case it's frustrating, it is a side effect of general spam prevention efforts. Blocks are usually temporary but can vary in lengths. Oftentimes there are ways we can get around those by using an alternate route to get your mail delivered, which is why we need to know to where (the domains) your e-mail needs to go. Without that information, there's nothing more our e-mail admins can do, as they are awaiting those details.

There are other free, third-party e-mail providers to consider like Gmail, so that you would never need to worry about migrating your e-mail every time you change ISPs.

If you mouse over Shop/Upgrade in the top menu and click on Plans and Pricing, you can select the 10 GB plan which is cheaper than your current 20 GB plan.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Tell me how to PM you from this site. I am not giving you the domain names of my clients on this public site. And again, your solution is not a solution, because there are literally dozens, more actually, domains that I contact in the course of emailing. Why should I be forced to use a gmail account because Hughes can't seem to get a handle on this? All my stationary and business cards FOR YEARS have listed *******@hughes.net as my address. What? Now people can't rely on this address? It is clear now that your tech people have blown me off, because it's too hard to fix your problem on your end. This is a spm blocking issue of Hughes, not me. What a complete failure of service, and to suggest I lower my business plan to save money is inappropriate. I am still not receiving the services stated to me in my contract from Huhes whether I have the $10 plan or the $100 plan, right? I'll send you some recent domains (there are DAILY failures) but based on this thread with you I anticipate a further run-around and no solution. Believe me, if I had any other option for an ISP I'd do it, but living on a remote ranch in Idaho leaves my only this pathetic choice, that can't fulfill their services aggreement with me. How do I view each of the messages in my thread? Can you put them together and email them to me?

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To send a PM to Liz, go to the link below and click on Send a message. 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/16464

EDIT: keep in mind that unsolicited PMs may not receive a response. 

To read the messages on this thread, start at the beginning and scroll down. 

EDIT 2: "I am not giving you the domain names of my clients on this public site" -- you're not being asked to provide actual email addresses, just domain names (so if the recepient is joeschmoe@yahoo.com, you'd only provide the domain, yahoo.com).  You'd be revealing nothing, only a bunch of dot coms and so on.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@LakeCreek 

1.  The problem is being caused by the receiving service temporarily blacklisting the hughes.net domain due to spam.  HughesNet is not doing this.  

2.  You can read your subscriber agreement here.  Nowhere in that agreement does it guarantee any specific level of service concerning HughesNet's email.  Nor is there any guarantee that HughesNet's email will even be available in the future.  Many ISPs are abandoning their free email because of low usage, with that being due to people using those free email services mentioned, like Google, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.  It's very possible that HughesNet will do the same in the future.

HughesNet cannot guarantee that what's happening now won't happen again, even if they get all of those domains to lift their restriction.  As mentioned, including now by a HughesNet rep herself, services like Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook and others may very well better suit your needs, and it's the kind of email you can take with you.

Hi LakeCreek,

I've received your PM and have sent the requested domains over to our e-mail admins to address. I'll post back once I have an update on that for you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi LakeCreek,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

Good morning LakeCreek,

Thank you for your patience while our e-mail admins looked into this. They've stated that they researched and found no recent outbound rejections from any of the provided domains. Delivery is working overall, so you should be able to send to those domains now. If they fail, please provide full headers with bounce back message no older than 72 hours for review. Anything older than 72 hours will not help in trying to resolve the issue. 

To add onto the e-mail admins' suggestions, if you get an error sending an e-mail, for troubleshooting purposes, try sending the e-mail directly from webmail and let us know if it sends successfully. This can give us a clue as to the source of the error. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz