Too many dns errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
winterstarranch
New Poster

Too many dns errors

Constantly getting dns errors. I have been on the phone twice trying to get this fixed. It happens on different pages. I have tried rebooting router and modem, and clearing cache and history. It goes away for an hour or two and then its back. I have a hn9000. My router is a linksys wrt54g2. Would upgrading to gen4 help? As it is now data seems to disappear. I am afraid I will always be out and it will cost a fortune. Thanks for the help.
19 REPLIES 19
Liz

Good morning winterstarranch,

Welcome and thanks for posting. We'd certainly like to help your concerns. To get started please provide additional details to help us:

Do the DNS errors persist while your computer is connected directly to the HughesNet modem?

Try powercycling the HughesNet modem to clear its DNS cache. To do so, unplug the power cable from its power brick and wait for at least 2 minutes. After replugging the power cord, please browse and observe whether the DNS errors are gone or reduced. 

We'll always suggest upgrading to the Gen 4 service with the HT1100, as long as it's available. For now, let's see if the above alleviates those errors.

Once we get past this DNS hurdle, we can then focus on your data usage concerns.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Try manually setting your router to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers.
winterstarranch
New Poster

I have unplug from the brick for 2+ minutes and plugged back in. The DNS errors so far seem to be less but are still there. Also received error connection timed out. As per BirdDog I have not changed my router setting. To do that I must connect the Ethernet cable when I do that Windows 10 updates will download and use all my data. I will try to do that early tomorrow morning. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If you disconnect the LAN cable from the modem you can still access the router with a LAN cable from the computer to change the DNS settings.  That way you won't download anything while connected to it.  When you are finished, disconnect the cable from the computer and reconnect the modem cable. 

Liz

Hi winterstarranch,

Thank you for reporting back. I'll escalate your case to an engineer here for their assistance on this matter. 

Please also let me know if there's any difference in the frequency of DNS errors while plugged into the HughesNet modem directly.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

winterstarranch
New Poster

Liz, 
This morning i got up at 3am to download the Window 10 updates for two computers and was successful. I also changed the DNS settings on my router as per BirdDog. After my downloads were finished I opened multiple pages and had no DNS errors. Later this morning 2 people were on computers reading emails and web browsing and we went through about 400 MB in about an hour. Is that normal?  But in that time period there were no DNS errors. When I logged onto My Dashboard to respond to this post., I received a DNS error and had to reload the page. Earlier when we we getting DNS errors it didn't matter whether you were going through the router or directly through the HughesNet modem. I had tried both. I will keep tracking the DNS errors provided I still have bandwith. Thanks for your help 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That usage could be normal depending on the content of the pages you are visiting. Do they have a lot of graphics and automatic video loading? Facebook can use a lot if automatic video is not turned off.

Be sure to install an ad blocker on all browsers.
winterstarranch
New Poster

I have an ad blocker. Most of the browsing was emails and craigslist.Yes photos loading no videos. Video is turned off on facebook but I don't think we were on facebook.
 Thanks
FIA Ranch

I have to deal with the Win10 (lack of control) update issue on several machines.  From the "Run" command, run services.msc.  Scroll down to Windows Update, right-click, select properties, stop the service, then disable it.

Then when you decide to do a "night shift", like I do, go in, enable it, run Check For Updates, and let the updates flow.  Then disable it again.  That way you can keep your Win10 machine usable online without eating up data allowance.
FIA Ranch

If you are using DHCP on your router to get individual addresses, totally agree with above.  If you are using any kind of static addressing scheme, then you also need to use the above DNS entries on each machine.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Excellent point! I tend to forget not everyone uses their router as the DHCP server although it is highly recommended on HughesNet.
Liz

Thank you for these additional details. So since you changed the your DNS server to Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4), you've encountered a significant drop DNS errors, is that correct? I look forward to hearing how browsing is now since changing DNS servers.

Regarding data usage, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I have everything of mine set to the Google DNS, including all of my adapters for my computers, plus the router, as well.  For some reason, when I set my router to Google's settings, but left my computer as automatic, when I ran nslookup, it didn't show Google's DNS settings.  Maybe it's not supposed to.  Either way, I have NOTHING set to automatic, save the IPv6 settings.   
winterstarranch
New Poster

The DNS errors have dropped significantly. There are still some, they have changed how they appear on my screen. Before they showed up in the center with a reload button and would reload automatically. Now it appears in the left hand corner, black letters on white background no reload button. I have downloaded glasswire and will figure out how to use it. Where is the best place to see the usage. I usually look at the gauge on the HN9000 System Control Center. Today I have used about 3 MB in 90 minutes doing the same things I do other mornings when I go through 100 to 200 MB in the same amount of time. If I download anything I do it before 7am. Thanks again
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sprinkled throughout this very long thread are tips on setting up and getting the most out of Glasswire.

They are cumulative in nature and reposting them would lose the context so I suggest that you start at the beginning and wade your way through.

Post any particular questions you may have and Ill do my best to answer them.

see here:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drain-cannot-find-the-cause?topic-reply-list...

Liz

Thank you for the confirmation. I'll let the engineer know. I'll post back once I have any updates to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz

Hi winterstarranch,

The engineer informed me that he made an adjustment to your site. Please change your DNS setting to DHCP and let me know if you're still seeing more, less, or no DNS errors.

Thanks,
Liz

winterstarranch
New Poster

Liz,

Thanks for the help. I have the DNS setting on DHCP. I have not seen any DNS error for awhile. Hopefully the problem is fixed.
Liz

Excellent! Thank you for this confirmation, I'll let the engineer know this helped.

Feel free to post back if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Liz