cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many dns errors

FIA Ranch

Re: Too many dns errors

If you are using DHCP on your router to get individual addresses, totally agree with above.  If you are using any kind of static addressing scheme, then you also need to use the above DNS entries on each machine.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Excellent point! I tend to forget not everyone uses their router as the DHCP server although it is highly recommended on HughesNet.
Liz

Good morning winterstarranch,

Thank you for these additional details. So since you changed the your DNS server to Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4), you've encountered a significant drop DNS errors, is that correct? I look forward to hearing how browsing is now since changing DNS servers.

Regarding data usage, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I have everything of mine set to the Google DNS, including all of my adapters for my computers, plus the router, as well.  For some reason, when I set my router to Google's settings, but left my computer as automatic, when I ran nslookup, it didn't show Google's DNS settings.  Maybe it's not supposed to.  Either way, I have NOTHING set to automatic, save the IPv6 settings.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
winterstarranch
New Poster

The DNS errors have dropped significantly. There are still some, they have changed how they appear on my screen. Before they showed up in the center with a reload button and would reload automatically. Now it appears in the left hand corner, black letters on white background no reload button. I have downloaded glasswire and will figure out how to use it. Where is the best place to see the usage. I usually look at the gauge on the HN9000 System Control Center. Today I have used about 3 MB in 90 minutes doing the same things I do other mornings when I go through 100 to 200 MB in the same amount of time. If I download anything I do it before 7am. Thanks again
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sprinkled throughout this very long thread are tips on setting up and getting the most out of Glasswire.

They are cumulative in nature and reposting them would lose the context so I suggest that you start at the beginning and wade your way through.

Post any particular questions you may have and Ill do my best to answer them.

see here:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drain-cannot-find-the-cause?topic-reply-list...

Liz

Good morning winterstarranch,

Thank you for the confirmation. I'll let the engineer know. I'll post back once I have any updates to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi winterstarranch,

The engineer informed me that he made an adjustment to your site. Please change your DNS setting to DHCP and let me know if you're still seeing more, less, or no DNS errors.

Thanks,
Liz

winterstarranch
New Poster

Liz,

Thanks for the help. I have the DNS setting on DHCP. I have not seen any DNS error for awhile. Hopefully the problem is fixed.
Liz

Excellent! Thank you for this confirmation, I'll let the engineer know this helped.

Feel free to post back if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Liz