cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrents?

Torrents?

We just got hughesnet this month and couldn't be happier! We went from a mobile hotspot with AT&T with only 10 gigs to Hughes and we now have 100 gigs total in a month for only ten dollars more!!

Something I've discovered is that while downloading torrents the speed is slowed in comparison to other downloads? However I've noticed sometimes around 10 at night the speeds will make a huge jump from 200 kb/s to up to 2,500 kb/s! Why is this? I believe I read a thread here that said Hughes prioritizes p2p differently and was wondering if there was anyway around this to achieve those highest speeds all the time when I want to download a torrent. 

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me. 
9 REPLIES 9
Associate Professor

Re: Torrents?

You could try using a VPN, but, that will decrease your highest possible through-put.

To be honest, p2p will be heavily throttled depending on network congestion.  The more network congestion, the more Hughesnet will throttle back P2P applications.  I couldn't get above 25KB/s earlier on my torrents earlier, now I am seeing a little over 1MB/s.
Freshman

I have read more than one thread that suggests data is data to HughesNet,. Slowdowns are usually be cause of network congestion and sometimes equipment based. I have dealt with both now. A third-party firmware fixed my one speed problem, and engineers are working on the other. Mine gets incredibly slow 4 or 5 pm through 2 am.

Hi ambjsmom,

Welcome to the HughesNet family and community! Glad to hear you're happy with the service! Thank you for posting, we want to address your concerns. You could try Charles' suggestion, but as he correctly stated, your highest possible throughput would be decreased, as VPN use may decrease speed by 50%-70% due to data encryption. 

To confirm what you saw in a thread elsewhere in the community, our legal site does state that P2P traffic has reduced priority:
http://legal.hughesnet.com/NetworkManagement.cfm

Does Hughes block P2P traffic or applications like BitTorrent, Gnutella, or others?

No. Hughes does not block Peer-to-Peer (P2P) traffic or applications like BitTorrent, Gnutella, or others as part of its network congestion management techniques. In order to ensure fair access to all types of traffic, however, we limit the network capacity available for P2P applications, which has the effect of reducing the priority of such traffic. P2P applications are detected based on deep packet inspection and the use of industry-standard heuristics, and are not based on specific port numbers or applications.
Feel free to contact us again if you have additional concerns, we're happy to help.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Also, don't bittorrent clients throttle their speeds based on a user's "sharing" level?

"The more you seed, the higher your speed?"
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Associate Professor

Somewhat... Some trackers will negotiate, allow you lets say, 50% of a torrent, then give you peers that are instructed to upload to you at a reduced rate.  It all depends on the torrent, and the tracker that torrent is using.  You usually only see this with private trackers where they force you to upload in order to download.  The average torrent, this wont occur with.

Thanks for the replies! So is the reason it slower to download because of the reduced priority? I know other factors come into play such as amount of seeds/congestion on the hughes network but my internet could be working at top speed and have thousands of seeds and p2p is still a much slower download in comparison to a non p2p download.

On an off note- Here's a speed test, we couldn't be happier with the speeds we've been getting!
Associate Professor

Just remember, torrents will chew up your data allowance, if using utorrent I suggest using the built in scheduler so that torrents will only run during the free time zone, and set up a data quota on it so that you dont accidentally go over your monthly allowance.

If you use a different client, you may have the same scheduler and quota settings, and may want to look into it.

Speeds looking good, ambjsmom! Also, good advice from Charles, re: the built in scheduler. Take advantage of those Bonus Bytes!

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->