cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally useless service

Totally useless service

How many of you find this service useless? I watch a couple of TV shows from Hulu, Netflix or Amazon and am quickly out of bandwidth for the month. I have 15 gb plan. I use to have cable before I moved and was thinking about cutting the cord. Huh! Now I do not watch any TV, movies, etc but now only use it for email, reading, and short news and sports videos and still run out of bandwidth after about 20 days. This is 2015 not 1990. I cannot get a larger plan in my area. I actually pay twice as much than cable and get zero in return.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Assistant Professor

Re: Totally useless service

Watching in HD will do that. I don't know about Amazon or Hulu but Netflix allows you to adjust the playback setting to standard or low definition. Must set to a lower definition or will gobble up dat with just a few movies. HD uses about 3-4 GB per hour.
Satellite internet can not be used like an on-demand cable TV service. At standard definition on Netflix you will use about 700 MB per hour, on low definition about 300 MB per hour. You have to decide where you want your data to go.

At the low setting on Netflix you could watch about 30 hours with 10 GB of data but would have nothing left for anything else. Also upload data counts on Gen4.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Assistant Professor

Watching in HD will do that. I don't know about Amazon or Hulu but Netflix allows you to adjust the playback setting to standard or low definition. Must set to a lower definition or will gobble up dat with just a few movies. HD uses about 3-4 GB per hour.
Satellite internet can not be used like an on-demand cable TV service. At standard definition on Netflix you will use about 700 MB per hour, on low definition about 300 MB per hour. You have to decide where you want your data to go.

At the low setting on Netflix you could watch about 30 hours with 10 GB of data but would have nothing left for anything else. Also upload data counts on Gen4.

View solution in original post

Interesting, nobody explains any of this when you sign up !!!

Yep!!! get use to it.

It is a learn as you go thing.  It took me awhile but now I can handle it with ease with only 5Gb a month and 50gb bonus.  But like Sgoshe said set things to SD or if you can 360p is good.  At 360p I use about 175 to 200Mb per hour and get pretty good clarity on videos.  I do have DirecTv in living room and an outdoor antenna in others and my workshop if I want to watch TV though.
Advanced Tutor

Depending on how you ordered your system, HughesNet may be able to retrieve a recording of your sales call. The data allowance should have been explained by the sales agent.

An Initial Order Confirmation Email you may have received when you ordered HughesNet before your installation should have contained the following disclaimer:
All HughesNet® Service plans come with a Data Allowance specifying the amount of data which can be accessed and sent by a Subscriber each month. For information on the Data Allowance for your Service Plan and the HughesNet Fair Access Policy, go to http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm.
You may have had other Internet options depending on where you moved. Cellular is often one of them, but they also impose data limits. AT&T advertises, "10 Gigantic Gigs for only $80/mo." Verizon advertises 12 Gigs/mo. for about the same price. Add $20/mo. if you want to add phone service.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Assistant Professor

And there are "per device" charges, at least with AT&T.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/mobileshare.html.html

I tried Cellular ATT, Verizon, and Cricket I was very unhappy.  I'll stick with HughesNet it works far better than anything I have had out here.  The only thing with HughesNet though it is very pricey.
Assistant Professor

I don't think $140 for 20GB plus device access charges is exactly cheap either. ATT would be much higher in my case. Their 50 GB is $375 + device access charges. Ouch!

There is a difference between fair and cheap as much as we pay for service there should not be an equipment charge.  Electronics are not very expensive these days.  One more thing ATT, Verizon, and others call their plans unlimited when in reality they have caps as well.  The reason they say unlimited is because of FAP just like HughesNet.  Some of the Cellular services will not throttle they just charge extra for overage I prefer FAP myself when excess Bandwidth is used.  I have only been in FAP once and it was barley noticeable for the most part.  The only thing that seemed to be effected was video playback, audio worked just fine however.

Not to mention PPV on the Satellite TV if you have it even saves the gasoline to go to town.