cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally useless service

Freshman

Re: Totally useless service

I guess I am "lucky." At the house we are moving from, I had no cell service but DSL through phone company. When we went on a trip to NYC for four days, I was out of 4G LTE data (1GB) halfway through the second day doing nothing but keeping up on Facebook etc. (including funny videos, or course). Rude awakening to how fast you can burn data.

When I saw what satellite data cost, and remembered my NYC experience, I knew first rule was no cell phones on WiFi. I also knew streaming would be a once or twice a month thing at best. To make it doable, I returned to satellite television for entertainment, got a cell phone signal booster, and when I knew it worked, subscribed to larger data packages for cell phone. With any luck, our media experience won't feel too terrible working this way.

Still ironing out a glitch on cell phones and DHCP tunneling (my suspected cause of data loss - only thing that makes sense with the evidence), and probably going to upgrade my router soon. We'll see how setting tweaking works first.

In a weird way, after getting over the "what gives?" on the data loss, I am kind of loving the geeky side of this. I haven't had to play with my computer stuff in ages. Learning to make satellite internet work appeals to the part of me that wrote multiuser databases and took Cisco networking courses almost twenty years ago.

Re: Totally useless service

Hi bbrunsca,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I see our community has already offered useful information and advice for you. Do let us know if you have additional concerns we can address for you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->