Traceroute and ping issues...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Traceroute and ping issues...

I've run traceroutes and pings to multiple sites and I get the following...

Trace.JPGPing.JPG

I tried Google (which is shown), Yahoo, Microsoft, Dell, Facebook, hughes.net and Walmart.  Twitter was the only one that worked normally, with both a traceroute and ping.  

The goofy thing is that all of these sites work just fine for me.  I'm having no problems with them.

Any ideas of what could be going on?  I power cycled the modem, but it's still the same.

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade

No clue, and I couldn't replicate it on my machine. 

MarkJFine
Professor

It's been bad today. Had a ton of problems updating MS stuff this morning. There must be a bad route somewhere.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

It's still the same this afternoon.  I find it interesting that I can still use the net, as I figured those results would have meant that I couldn't get to those pages.  

maratsade

Well, as long as you can get to where you need to go... 🙂

It's puzzling, though. I'm going to go the MJF way and blame CenturyLink and Chinese hackers. 🙂

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Well, as long as you can get to where you need to go... 🙂

It's puzzling, though. I'm going to go the MJF way and blame CenturyLink and Chinese hackers. 🙂

Century Link being the cause wouldn't surprise me.  

Someone mentioned here somewhere about things changing at 8am ET. Aside from the MS problems this morning, I have been noticing a problem with updating Homebrew in the morning, which uses a remote connection to GitHub.com. For the last bunch of weeks, the connection would start with a burst, then slow, then stop completely. Restarting doesn't fix the problem... until 8am when it works like nobody's business.

Now, there are a million and two reasons for this, such as some one coming into work at GitHub and rebooting a router or something first thing, but it's quite strange.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

Update:

Still no go, but I disabled IPv6 and tried pinging again.  While Dell, Microsoft, Hughes and Walmart still didn't work, Google, Yahoo and Facebook did.  Twitter still worked.  

Though I don't know if it will make any difference, I'm going to try to use HughesNet's DNS.  I'm going to change to it, clear my DNS, then restart everything to try.

Edit:  Well, changing the DNS was a complete waste of time, of course, but that it's working with some while using only IPv4 is interesting.

GabeU

No change as of today.  Still doing the same thing.  

Has anyone ever seen anything like that before, and where the sites still work without issue?  I don't know enough about the net to understand how that can happen.

maratsade

I've never seen this happen, but the interwebs have been getting curiouser and curiouser, so more like this is bound to happen, I guess. 

maratsade

Another curious thing is my issue with iMessages, and also with icloud.com.  During certain times of the day and night, most especially between 7 am and 8 am (sometimes much later), iMessage won't load images, and icloud.com doesn't work, but only on the HN network.   When I test speeds, they're robust. And I can stream too, so I imagine this means there isn't much congestion, but who knows?  Maybe all of this, your tracert issues and my iMessage issues have to do with CenturyLink or with Chinese hackers crawling around the interwebs and playing practical jokes.  Only the Shadow knows. 

GabeU

@maratsade 

I've actually been following your iMessage thread.  How annoying.  😞  

maratsade

Definitely! But things could be worse, I guess. 🙂  iMessage, except for the images thing, works just fine.  Maybe Apple has a vendetta against HN... 😉

GabeU

@MarkJFine 

@maratsade 

Well, it turns out this issue, which I'm still having, is tied to this desktop.  I connected my laptop via WiFi, then LAN cable, and both tests worked fine with it.  I've no doubt it would work fine with my mini PC, as well.  

I can't remember if the tests I tried running a few weeks ago were the first on this computer, as it was built in January, but I think maybe so.  I'm going to have to do some Google searches to see if there is a settings adjustment that needs to be made in order to get them to work correctly on this thing.  Maybe even go onto MSI's forum and ask if anyone else has seen this issue with this particular motherboard.

maratsade

Wow. That's amazing, and it serves to illustrate the many variables that affect our interactions with the internet. 

How ever did you figure it out??

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Wow. That's amazing, and it serves to illustrate the many variables that affect our interactions with the internet. 

How ever did you figure it out??

I started wondering if maybe this issue was related to what's going on with my modem and the perpetual update thing, and I was going to note this issue on that topic page, just in case it was.  Before I did, for some reason, I realized I should check to see if it was just this computer.  With this kind of problem, it never dawned on me that it could be related to my equipment and not HughesNet.