cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
don_Ell
Freshman

Transmit/Uplink issue

(As advised, creating a new topic)

I've been having a new problem with my Gen 4 system.  It is glitching every hour or so with an transmission error and dropping web acceleration.  The weather at my house and also at the gateway is fine.

It has been going on for two days now.  I spoke with tech support last night who had me reboot the system (which I had already done, resulting in a glitch a half hour later) and declared the problem solved.

I did decide to go ahead and upgrade to Gen 5, so I'm waiting on a new modem.  I suspect my radio transmitter might be suffering in the Texas heat.  I guess I'll know if it goes kaput all together.

Screen shots provided:

Annotation 1.jpgAnnotation 2.jpg

Note:  Saturday - same issue, no changes.

Note:  Sunday - Issue getting worse, by Sunday night it glitched every five minutes or so.  A reset would bring the system back up for five minutes or so.  Totally unusable.

12 REPLIES 12
MarkJFine
Professor

There are a couple of ground station sites that are apparently having issues and are currently being worked on. It's possible they could be replacing equipment or software, which may necessitate bringing the ground station down temporarily. This would defnitely cause what you are seeing.

We've seen a few going through Boise (BOI) seeing issues. Likewise, this is the second one that's shown Missoula (MIS) - so that site might be in flux as well.

This may be a transitory situation requiring a day or so until they've properly worked things out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the update.  The issue seems to be intermittent, happening every hour or two.  If anything, it's forcing me to update equipment I probably should have done a long time ago.  Overall the service has been good and I've kept it over 10 years, even as a back up to cellular data which mysteriously crashed (not only for me, but everyone around me) about a year ago. 

I always hold my tongue when I want to complain (latency, inability to game, etc) because the honest truth is that without Hughesnet, I'd be screwed.  Satellite internet is the only option where I live, and for the most part it lives up to it's billing and has improved over the years.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I have been very pleased with HN over the years, and it keeps getting better and better.  Verizon is the only other option here, and it's very spotty where I live (county seems opposed to adding the necessary infrastructure), so I rely on HN and have basically no complaints. 

@don_Ell wrote:

the honest truth is that without Hughesnet, I'd be screwed.  Satellite internet is the only option where I live, and for the most part it lives up to it's billing and has improved over the years.

GabeU

@don_Ell wrote:

I always hold my tongue when I want to complain (latency, inability to game, etc) because the honest truth is that without Hughesnet, I'd be screwed.  Satellite internet is the only option where I live, and for the most part it lives up to it's billing and has improved over the years.

Pretty much the same here.  I've had HughesNet since Dec 2004.  It was DirecWay at that time.  It's worked pretty well over the years, with a few relatively small hiccups.   The only real problem I've ever had was when I upgraded from the DW7000 modem to the HN7000S modem a number of months after DirecWay became HughesNet.  My speed plummeted to about 1/3rd of what it had been.  It started improving after a couple of months and eventually became better than what it had been prior to the upgrade, as in 1.5Mbps vs 1Mbps.  That's not very much today, but at the time it was great.  I was just glad to have something much faster than dialup.  

I'm not a gamer, save for a couple that don't need the internet, and I use PlayOn Cloud for the relatively small amount of streaming I do in order to avoid the buffering.  

I hope your upgrade to Gen5 goes well.  🙂

Honestly, don't want to hold anyone back from upgrading, but it would seem that the current issue isn't due to old equipment on your side.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Honestly, don't want to hold anyone back from upgrading, but it would seem that the current issue isn't due to old equipment on your side.

I think you're right, and I really don't think I'll see that much of a change in performance, but the equipment is getting older, there is better gear out there, and the cost is minimal.  Hughesnet was kind enough to give me a discount as well.  I typically tend to do this when I start to dig into a problem.  Sort of like I sell a car when the window motors start to creak.

For anyone else reading I think Mark brings up a good point.  The issue I'm having most likely is not related to the modem, which is the basic component that I'm replacing.

maratsade

They seem to be experiencing issues with one or two beams, which may cause transmit problems, and this is not something we subscribers can fix. Best thing to do for everyone having similar issues is to wait until the engineers fix the problem and the mods let everyone know the problem has been fixed. Hopefully it won't be long. 

@don_Ell wrote:

For anyone else reading I think Mark brings up a good point.  The issue I'm having most likely is not related to the modem, which is the basic component that I'm replacing.

I'm in South-East TX and I've been experiencing the same for the last two weeks. A technician came out yesterday and repositioned the dish and it's still the same.

What gives?

maratsade

You need to start your own ticket so the HN reps on this site can deal with your issue individually.  Go to the main Tech Support page, click on "start a topic," and provide details of your issue, including screenshots, and any state code that's different from 0.0.0.  To find the state code, go to this internal modem page: http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Oompa wrote:

I'm in South-East TX and I've been experiencing the same for the last two weeks. A technician came out yesterday and repositioned the dish and it's still the same.

What gives?

@Oompa wrote:

What gives?

Welcome to the forums, I'm new as well.  I did the exact same thing and posted to someone else's thread.  It's a learning process but looks well worth starting a new thread to get the feedback.  I think I might have been experiencing this problem for the last couple of weeks but only recently discovered it.

nannydoobie
New Poster

I'm in North Carolina with exact same issue for the last 4 days. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, they want to charge me $125 to replace modem. My state codes were constantly changing between 14.1.3 to 12.1.12 to 23.1.4 back and forth. I'm waiting until October, when my contract runs out.

GabeU

@nannydoobie 

If you start your own topic to allow the corporate reps here to help you, which you can do here, the outcome may be different than what's happened thus far.