Hughesnet Community

Tried to stream Netflix last night from AppleTV, play Connect to MLB the show 18 and it was horrible

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skuphan
Freshman

Tried to stream Netflix last night from AppleTV, play Connect to MLB the show 18 and it was horrible

There were no weather issues where I am. I have lost faith in Gen 5 being consistent. I try to watch a youtube video and it just buffers (Yes, I switch it to non HD, Yes, I have even toggled the data saver) 

But somedays it streams perfectly. I pay for the 50GB and it has been a year so my price is going up and I think I will be just dropping down a level. 

I also tried to connect to MLB the Show 18 Diamond Dynasty section (do this all the time - it is not streaming an online game just grabbing data) and it didn't connect.

It is just painful when it is so inconsistent. My wife and I wanted to watch a new show on Netflix together last night and after 4 minutes with 5 long pauses for buffering we gave up.

8 REPLIES 8
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

When you say you switched from HD do you mean at the Netflix settings here: https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle

Mine stays set to low.

Capture.PNG

My Netflix was on Standard. I just switched to Low and I will see if that makes a difference.

But I thought Standard .7 GB per hour would be fine for me to stream.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wanted to verify where you were changing it. Standard def should be good but never know for sure unless you try at even lower def. I'm not sure how quickly any change takes effect either, they used to have a disclaimer that said it can take up to 8 hours so if still true wouldn't help right away. I'd leave any change in place for at least a day just to see if it eventually helps.

The lower definitions can look pretty bad at first but after a couple minutes the quality improves, at least my experience.

EDIT: Just checked and the note about 8 hours is still on their help page:

Capture.PNG

Thank you for the advice. I will report back tonight after I try and watch "Lost in Space" again

Hello Skuphan,

Just checking in to see if this is still ongoing. I'll leave the thread open a few more days just in case.

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi Skuphan,

It's been a while since we've heard from you so I will be closing this thread. If you continue to have trouble please create a new thread or send me a private message to re-open this one.

Thank you,

Amanda

Yeh, I leave mine set to LOW.  Gives me the best chances to watch a video, with some buffering, but not every minute.

Funn thing is I can watch video better when in FAP.  

I seriously think the way Hughes adjusts videos with VDS feature makes video watching worse when I am not in FAP.  I FAP out in 10 days... so have 20 days of slow downloads... but seems if my speed is steady at 1.4Mbps during FAP, I can stream Netflix more reliably... until evening arrives that is.  My speeds then dip down to 500K and I can't do diddly at that point.

But... yeh, stick in LOW.  The video may start as pixelated but them seems to get better as the movie plays and looks 1/2 way OK.

TJ

Amanda

Hi Skuphan,

Lost in Space is offered in no higher than HDR, so it is probably a good show to test this out on. Are you trying to watch the show on a SmartTV, Chromecast/Firestick, laptop...?

As for MLB The Show, is that feature similar to the Ubisoft Store where you can open up a new app/window and buy game add-ons like outfits and whatnot? 

Thanks,

Amanda