cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble accessing Google Drive and Docs

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

Re: Trouble accessing Google Drive and Docs

Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions you have shared, and please continue.

EDIT: I never claimed that "corporations act in mysterious ways that we mortals may not understand,"  You can read trade and corporate regulations yourself and see how they shape corporations.  These laws and regulations are factual and they bind corporations, and they are available to everyone to read.  There is no  mystery at all. 

Highlighted
Freshman

@maratsade wrote:

Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions you have shared, and please continue.

EDIT: I never claimed that "corporations act in mysterious ways that we mortals may not understand,"  You can read trade and corporate regulations yourself and see how they shape corporations.  These laws and regulations are factual and they bind corporations, and they are available to everyone to read.  There is no  mystery at all. 

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, too. Sorry if you feel that I misrepresented you. What I read was that corporations may be acting according to contracts or rules that affect transport efficiency. Without identifying anything specific that actually applies, my interpretation is that you're saying that there might be such regulations that keep one or more of these companies from fixing the problems. Maybe. The existance of such contracts and rules are a fact. Whether they are contributing to network congestion is speculation unless specific factual examples can be presented. 

That hasn't happened. And without that, the argument is purely opinion that diverts us from the problem at hand. If you have an example, please share.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

This is a limited medium, and the topic is so complex it gives me headache. Smiley Happy

I respect your opinions and views on the topic; my own opinions and views come from experience of being a corporate lawyer (international mergers and acquisitions) for years.   

I'd say the best way to understand the topic is to become a lawyer.

Sadly, I don't have time to give you specific laws and regulations, because it's not a straighforward proposition; it's a fluid one of quite serious complexity. 

Not sure you'd understand (this is not an opinion on your intelligence, not at all -- it's more a comment on the complexity of the law), have the time or inclination to even venture in there,  or avoid being bored to brain death by them anyway. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Freshman

I've spent 20 minutes reading this thread while waiting for a single small Google doc to open. And the final word is that there are legal reasons why Hughesnet can't provide service that allows me to access Google Drive for work? I find this very hard to believe, and stand in support of someone who says then they should be upfront that we may not be able to access something as basic as Google Drive. The Hughesnet service comes at premium prices, so they do have a responsibility to those of us paying those costs. They did just send an email telling us they were adjusting bandwidth to certain types of sites, reducing some, and increasing others to ameliorate issues around the current health crisis. So I find it hard to believe they can't do the same for pathways to Google Drive.

And meanwhile... I continue to wait for my document to open...

Highlighted
Freshman

Right on. I am dumbstruck by the pushback on this topic. Are they shilling for HughesNet? The recent letter to customers clearly states that HN is able to prioritize traffic of certain types and destinations. Undeniably that includes routing. To claim that this problem is probably a legal one is absurd. 

HN's business model is based on charging premium prices for high latency internet to people who have no other viable choice. And then milking them for more by charging for bandwidth. Their interests are not aligned with their customers'.

@Buffsters wrote:

I've spent 20 minutes reading this thread while waiting for a single small Google doc to open. And the final word is that there are legal reasons why Hughesnet can't provide service that allows me to access Google Drive for work? I find this very hard to believe, and stand in support of someone who says then they should be upfront that we may not be able to access something as basic as Google Drive. The Hughesnet service comes at premium prices, so they do have a responsibility to those of us paying those costs. They did just send an email telling us they were adjusting bandwidth to certain types of sites, reducing some, and increasing others to ameliorate issues around the current health crisis. So I find it hard to believe they can't do the same for pathways to Google Drive.

And meanwhile... I continue to wait for my document to open...

Distinguished Professor IV

@dk3 wrote:

The recent letter to customers clearly states that HN is able to prioritize traffic of certain types and destinations. Undeniably that includes routing.  

You may want to learn about the methods used for traffic type prioritization by ISPs.

@dk3 wrote: 

HN's business model is based on charging premium prices for high latency internet to people who have no other viable choice. And then milking them for more by charging for bandwidth.  

HughesNet isn't cheap because satellite internet is the most expensive form or residential internet, per capita, to both provide and maintain.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

We have this same problem in spades! I've heard the same from others. It's causing a lot of problems for children trying to access very basic documents from their school during COVID-19 stay-at-home mandates.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Folks, and for everyone getting on the bandwagon here: HughesNet is not unique in having problems with Google Drive, et. al. I have a web server that is also having problems timing out when backing up to Google Drive and it is nowhere near being on HughesNet. This is a widespread problem.

Patience.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.