Trouble with voice service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pacetree
Junior

Trouble with voice service

I've been a customer for nearly two years now and had no problems with voice service until earlier this year.  Early this year I started having random dropped calls.  They've become more frequent to the point of not being able to rely on the service at all.  Earlier today, I had 5 calls varying in length from 2 to 7 minutes which were dropped.  

Back on March 16th I called support and couldn't keep a call active long enough to get to a person for several tries.  Finally got to a person, then they did updates to both the modem and the ATA and had me power cycle both.  Dropped calls continued almost immediately.  I finally had time to call again today after my frustrating expiriance.  She had me reboot the ATA (I was calling from my cell) then placed me on hold to make a test call and hung up on me.  She also never made the test call.

I figured I may have a better chance getting something done posting here.  The foreign based phone support really does not do much to give the company a good customer service reputation.  From what I've seen, this forum is much better.

I'm using an HT200W modem with a Cisco SPA122 connected to port 1.  Nothing on the feed-through port of the ATA.  Not using an external router, only the HT2000.  Same exact issue over and over:  From my end (talking on the phone connected to the ATA) you will hear a brief burst of noise which sounds like undecoded compressed digital audio, then instant dial tone.  The phone never hangs up, call timer continues to count as though you are on the same call.  From the far end (I've expirianced this from both ends of the call) the person on the phone connected to the ATA breaks up or completely goes silent for several seconds before the call is disconnected.

I have the case number from my failed attempts to get assistance via phone if anyone would like it.  Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated.  

14 REPLIES 14
Liz

Hi pacetree,

Thank you for posting and providing all the details. Let me send you the latest ATA we're using, the Innomedia model, to replace your Cisco ATA. It should arrive within the week. When you plug in your new ATA, please give it time to activate. Let me know if the dropped calls persist with the new ATA.

If they persist please provide the following info:

-How long into the call does it drop?

-Does it happen on all calls?

-Are all the cables between the ATA, phone, and modem connected securely and properly?

-Are you using a corded or cordless phone?

-What are the timestamps for the dropped calls?

-Does power cycling the modem and ATA make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you so much for the quick responce!  I'll report back once i get the new ATA.

Love the new telephone adaptor because it supports stuttered dial tone VM notification of unheard messages so the indicator on my phone works again!  It also provides local time offset of the caller ID time stamp so it sets the time on the phones correctly!  However, I've had at least two calls dropped since installing it. Now instead of going right to dial tone, this one plays a fast busy signal like a "Network busy" interrupt on a traditional phone switch.  Everything else seems to be just as I described above. 

Here are the answers to your questions:

-How long into the call does it drop?  Not at all consistent.  In one example below it was 1.8 minutes in, the other it was 38 seconds.

-Does it happen on all calls?  No.

-Are all the cables between the ATA, phone, and modem connected securely and properly?  Yes.

-Are you using a corded or cordless phone?  Cordless.

-What are the timestamps for the dropped calls?  03302018 15:11:08 and 17:40:28.

-Does power cycling the modem and ATA make a difference?  Not something I have checked yet.  But I am now, so I'll have to update that later.

Hi pacetree,

Thank you for the additional info, glad you're enjoying the newer model ATA. I'm disappointing the dropped calls are persisting, however. I'm sending your feedback so far to engineering to see what we can do next.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I just wanted to add another call to the list.  There have been several, but I'm trying to avoid listing any that were not to real people, many lately have been with automated systems which I can't be sure were not hangup.  Tonight 07:10:49. Dropped at .9 minutes into the call.

Thanks pacetree, I'll add this to my email chain to the engineers. 

So power cycling did not make a difference, huh?

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have unfortunately not been able to find a correlation between power cycles and dropped calls.  I have had what I beleive were dropped calls within hours of power cycling the modem.  However they were to automated systems, not to other people, so I'm not really considering those since I cannot be sure the calls were not dropped by the system on the other end.  I may have some time this weekend in which I could power cycle and then make some calls to report back. I'll post results if I get to that.

Today I was able to confirm that a power cycle of both the telephone adaptor and the modem didn't seem to have any effect on the dropped calls.  Here are more dropped calls to add to the list:

Before power cycle:  02:24:06 04/07/18;  02:32:15 04/07/18.

After power cycle:  11:44:00 04/07/18.

Granted it was a few hours after the power cycle that the next call dropped.  Though it was the same day. 

Currently, it's about 50% of my calls that get dropped at some point.  I had 1 three minute call today that didn't drop.  And two longer connections to automated systems which did not drop.

Hi pacetree,

No worries, thank you for these updates. I'd like to get your current equipment over to our VOIP team for debugging. This may give us more insight as to what's happening when these calls are dropping. I'm sending you a modem and another ATA. I'm also e-mailing you some prepaid shipping labels which are addressed to our VOIP team, so please use those labels instead when sending back your modem and ATA. You can use the same boxes your new equipment comes in to send us your old equipment.

Please expect the new equipment to arrive this week and let me know how they work out for you.

Again, thank you so much for the quick response.   I've been so busy this week I hadn't yet replied.  It may be this weekend before I get them swapped out.  But I'll let you know how it goes.  

Ok great!

I think I'll have time to swap out my equipment today, however I'm wondering if I will loose my token bytes when I swap my equipment?  I should have posted this while the mods were working, I  realize.  I just didn't think of it.  So I'm hoping maybe someone could tell me?  I'm out of data and running on tokens so I don't want to loose what I've paid for already.

Hi pacetree,

Swapping modems won't affect your tokens. Of course if you have any token concerns, just let me know and I can look into it.

Hi pacetree,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.