Trying this again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vladams2015
Sophomore

Trying this again

I will keep it short and sweet this time, and no Gabe unless you have something constructive please don't respond again

I had my system install 09Feb. I have been on and off with chat support and the tech team for the last week regarding extremely terrible speeds. Reps would test speeds and tell me they were in the 20-25Mbps download, 3-5 Mbps upload range every time they test. Regardless of whether I was running over 1000Gb cat6e, 5G or 2.4G Wifi, and regardless of the device my max was around 5Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. In fact when I was on chat with HN I was experiencing less than 1Mbps down and up. Pretty ridiculous.

Now we will get to the fun part:

My initial installer placed the dish facing directly at my two detached garages, from LOS only the top third to fourth of the reflector even has a clear view of the southern sky (mentioned this before but HN says to "call them" even after being told there is no phone service at my home location). I also pointed out, that while it doesn't impact signal, the bottom of the reflector is a little over two feet fround the ground...which is obviously a no-no. Similarly, the arm and LNBF is in the middle of the walkway between the deck and the 1st garage and is right at forehead height for my oldest daughter. Seems pretty dangerous to me. The installer did not weatherseal the hole into the house, he only used a plastic grommet. He also left drywall and masonry dust all over the room inside and did not install a faceplate...only another grommet. Basically...I am putting all of my money on the install being the issue. 

I have a tech coming this Saturday. I requested a company OTHER than the installer, but alas, HN scheduled Jupiter Communications, which did my likely faulty install. (Of course they will say that the isntall is acceptable)

Unfortunately I tried to post about this before but before a mod could get to it a super-unhelpful user decided it was his best tinterest to tell me that what I was experiencing with tech support was not at all accurate and I was providing "erroneous" support to others. 

At any ratem HN was supposed to call regarding the issue also being escalated to the post-install team. Havent had a call, an email, anything. Hopefully a mod will actually see this and try to escalate.

35 REPLIES 35
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gaines_wright wrote: 

My tech guy said not to look at the dish, but to look at the bracket on the back of the dish.    

This is usually somewhat close.  I'm not sure what the look angle is of the currently used HughesNet residential dish setup, and the following graphic isn't going to have the correct parameters, but it gives a pretty good idea of how said look angle is actually different from what it appears.  

Dish II.PNG

@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright wrote: 

My tech guy said not to look at the dish, but to look at the bracket on the back of the dish.    

This is usually somewhat close.  I'm not sure what the look angle is of the currently used HughesNet residential dish setup, and the following graphic isn't going to have the correct parameters, but it gives a pretty good idea of how said look angle is actually different from what it appears.  

Dish II.PNG

Your incidence differs from your reflection. Not good to use stock photos, especially one that is designed for terrestrial systems. But yeah, correct analysis of snells law will show that both receiving and transceiving are obscured in my case...you know I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't physics it to death! lol

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@vladams2015 

My reply wasn't to you. It was to gaines_wright, concerning what the tech told him about the look angle of his dish.  My reply has absolutely nothing to do with you or your apparent issue.  And what I presented, including the graphic, applies to his post.

so if you arent trying to help ME...take your erroneous graphics off of my request for assistance

@GabeU wrote:

@vladams2015 

My reply wasn't to you. It was to gaines_wright, concerning what the tech told him about the look angle of his dish.  My reply has absolutely nothing to do with you or your apparent issue.  And what I presented, including the graphic, applies to his post.

@vladams2015 wrote:

so if you arent trying to help ME...take your erroneous graphics off of my request for assistance

@GabeU wrote:

@vladams2015 

Now kids.  Don't grow up to be unruly techies.   :>)>

vladams2015
Sophomore

Current status:
0.25 Mbps download
0.58 Mbps upload

Do we realize that 250 Kbps is slower than dialup?

This is getting to be beautiful!

Thanks for weighing in mods. Appreciate it

Without using vector calculus, I was able to determine that 250kbps is still >> 56kbps.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Without using tensor calculus I was able to determine that:
1. That was unnecessary
2. 256 kbps dialup was a thing

I know, tensors are probably a little advanced but then again how will you ever learn?

Right. I'll cut to the chase: This isn't social media. It's a support site. In that regard, 50% of what you write is unnecessary.

Your constant snark, hyperbole, and smarter-(and holier)-than-everyone attitude, is tiresome and quite unappreciated. It's not funny and you're embarrassing yourself.

You want to know why you're getting pushback from people. Now you know.

If you want support from the people here, stop alienating yourself from all of them. End of.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Right. I'll cut to the chase: This isn't social media. It's a support site. In that regard, 50% of what you write is unnecessary.

Your constant snark, hyperbole, and smarter-(and holier)-than-everyone attitude, is tiresome and quite unappreciated. It's not funny and you're embarrassing yourself.

You want to know why you're getting pushback from people. Now you know.

If you want support from the people here, stop alienating yourself from all of them. End of.

Nobody asked you for your constant pushback either. I post support, and ask for support. I don't think I am holier than anyone and 95 percent of what I write about my issues or addressing others IS necessary. plain nd simple. You however are continuing to push forward at nothing

@vladams2015 wrote:
Current status:
0.25 Mbps download
0.58 Mbps upload

Just a tip from a fellow Linux user and fellow feather ruffler.  It's not considered good form to open a new topic for a subject for which you already have a thread in progress in the tech support area.  If your sole object is to ruffle more feathers, feather ruffling should be confined to the general discussion area.  :>)>

@gaines_wright wrote:

@vladams2015 wrote:
Current status:
0.25 Mbps download
0.58 Mbps upload

Just a tip from a fellow Linux user and fellow feather ruffler.  It's not considered good form to open a new topic for a subject for which you already have a thread in progress in the tech support area.  If your sole object is to ruffle more feathers, feather ruffling should be confined to the general discussion area.  :>)>

Thanks gaines. Its frustrating to have no support from the actual company. I have not been personally contacted by anyone from HN other than a text message to confirm a tech appointment (that I will undoubtedly be paying for) from a company that I requested not service me because of the obvious install issues I already had with them. So yeah, I am getting frustrated.

Hello vladams2015,

We're merging your latest thread into your existing one to better assist you. I would appreciate it if you provided any updates here so that we can keep things organized. I am also requesting that any comments made to the thread, by any user, remain relevant and constructive. 

Thank you,

Amanda

@Amanda wrote:

Hello vladams2015,

We're merging your latest thread into your existing one to better assist you. I would appreciate it if you provided any updates here so that we can keep things organized. I am also requesting that any comments made to the thread, by any user, remain relevant and constructive. 

Thank you,

Amanda

I will keep it all here from this moment on. Have to continually update so that someone can see that it wasn't some one-day weather related incident, and meanwhile i am paying a monthly fee for literally zero return.

Did a series of TMN tonight.
Only did 12 MB tests because accuracy only needs 5+ seconds of downloading

Average download speed 0.635 Mbps
Average upload speed 1.13 Mbps

Only one item connected. Connected wirelessly over 5G in the same 400 square foot room as the router

Perfectly clear sky here, not sure about gateway weather