cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to access local IP cam from the internet

Highlighted
New Poster

Trying to access local IP cam from the internet

Hi, I connected a surveillance camera (Axis m3007-pv) to the Lan port of the router and can access it just fine locally. This camera has NAT traversal support and when enabled gives me the WAN IP adress of the router with a specific port that should allow me to connect from anywhere. I know that feature works because I used it before in a different environment. In this particular case something is not allowing me to access the device at all, I tried with different port forwarding setting (confusing I admit...) as well as disabling the firewall entirely to no avail. Maybe someone knows some tips and tricks to make that work...thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Trying to access local IP cam from the internet

Operative word is "different environment". This satellite network uses a double-NAT. This would explain being able to access it locally, but not remotely.

That said, recommend using a surveillance system that utilizes an intermediary cloud for sending/storing imagery, which then may be retrieved remotely.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
New Poster

So it's impossible to connect to any device behind the router whatsoever due to satellite network?! seems odd...yes I know I can ultimately go cloud.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@DucTrooper wrote:

So it's impossible to connect to any device behind the router whatsoever due to satellite network?! seems odd...yes I know I can ultimately go cloud.

Not odd at all when you consider how the routing/combining/translation of satellite internet works at the beam, up/downlink, and groundstation.

In fact, because of all the malicious IP-scanning (mostly looking for IoT devices) going on, I'd practically call it a security feature. I know for a fact that the Chinese have been scanning the internet indiscriminately looking for devices running think.php to hijack.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.