cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to figure out how we can take our internet service with us on the road, going fulltime in our R.V.

Trying to figure out how we can take our internet service with us on the road, going fulltime in our R.V.

Trying to figure out how we can take our internet service with us on the road, going fulltime in our R.V. We were told by the salesperson that we could but each place we go, we would have to have an installer come out to set it up. Is there any way to have mobile, traveling internet service with Hughes.Net?
9 REPLIES 9
Assistant Professor

Re: Trying to figure out how we can take our internet service with us on the road, going fulltime in our R.V.

The legacy 7000 system can do it, not the newer Spaceway and Jupiter systems because they use spot beams tied to your installed location.

There are mobile satellite companies but very pricey for the equipment then the monthly service. A search will provide some of the companies who do it.
Advanced Tutor

Re: Trying to figure out how we can take our internet service with us on the road, going fulltime in our R.V.

Not easy on the newer Gen4 system. You might be able travel around within the beam you're assigned, but someone would have to know what they're doing in order to correctly re-aim the dish. You would not be able to move outside of your beam and have this work.

As sgoshe mentioned, there is an older, lower-speed HN system that is integrated with a motorized positioner, and will travel all over the US (and slightly beyond). Search for MotoSat, Mobilsat, or DataStorm for more info.

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Assistant Professor

Here is one but also note the speed: http://www.groundcontrol.com/IsatHub.htm

And look at the data costs, yikes!  http://www.groundcontrol.com/IsatHub.htm#IsatHub_Service
Right, I can see using laptops and tablets with those paltry data amounts.

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for posting. Sgoshe hit it right on the head. Our legacy systems could go on RVs, but that's not possible with our newer systems. Mobile satellite service does exist; the links above are a place to start, but as you can see, they get pretty pricey.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Verizon offers portable internet with voice that you can add to your existing cellphone service if your with Verizon. I plan on switching to this asap.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/4g-lte-broadband-router-with-voice/
Associate Professor

Most people that have a decent RV tend to go to campsites where even cellular service would be virtually impossible to find, and to top it off, most of the popular sites fall well outside of the Verizon network.
Highlighted

Having lived full time in an RV for years I can tell you that most have WiFi available. Not the best but it would still allow for access to the net. 

Depending on where you're traveling Verizon seems to be the best for country travel and picking up a good signal.
Associate Professor

I guess it would depend on if you go to a major RV park, or something small like the Campground just down from my home.  Granted, the one here is considered large and highly popular, just the wifi they do have, is actually over satellite. xD

Last time we went for a fireworks show on the 4th, we discovered that if you wish to camp there, you are on a waiting list that is currently a little over 3 years in length before you can get in. 0.0
Honorary Alumnus

Montana Satellite offers 7000 systems and plans yet as A VAR
http://www.montanasatellite.com/servi...

The costs are a bit higher than the grandfathered Hughes plans but still do-able
users can learn to aim these without too much trouble.