Two months in and still slow up/down speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jreedbum
New Poster

Two months in and still slow up/down speeds

I had Hughes Net installed 2 months ago and made the mistake of letting the installers get away without doing a speed test.  After noticing that the connection seemed to be slower than the previous DSL service, I called support.  They had me run the speed tests, verified that the speeds were not up to specifications and escalated the case. I have repeated this "call support/ do speed tests/ be reasssured that something will be done" cycle several times and still no improvement.  I have read other posts with similar experiences.  Has anyone come up with a way to get Hughes to move off the dime?  Looks like I'm locked in for 2 years and right now I don't see much hope.

10 REPLIES 10

I joined Hughenet in January myself and have the same problem, but is DSL the only cure?  I don't care how long it takes.  Have you had any success at speeding it up?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@jezrawrote:

@dad004dad DSL is a solution that I wish was available to me. If DSL was an option where I live,  I would certainly not be a HughesNet subscriber. 

At 3+ miles from nearest switch cabinet DSL isn't a choice I'd make. I know you said you could live with steady 2-3 Mbps speed but my satellite beam has been running 10+ Mbps the majority of the time. Taking such a hit in speed is not something I could live with at this point, especially with more than one device online. I've learned to deal with the satellite latency.

For the curious here is DSL speed/distance chart: https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-distance . I'm also assuming that's with very good copper lines, not the 50 year old stuff found in rural areas.

This was a process i went through as well one quick thing to check is if he used the correct splicer if so check to see if he grounded it from the dish to house or the ground on dish, if all this is good use flashlight look to make sure there is no moisture in the white cap at the front of your dish, also make sure your gateway inside your house is not hooked up to surge protector the voltage to the system is very very important no signal strenght if theres no power to get there if none of these work get into your router go to Lan change ip range to 200s start 200 end 254 at the end of ip address turn change dns codes try many different ones i use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in router and googles on my pcs 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 dont know why it works but it does also make sure ipv6 is enabled. I have many more trick to improve thing if its possible let me know if any of this work also i do not work for hughes just another customer left out to dry
dad004dad

Just went through the same thing.  Ran a speed test.  It appeared to run close to the top of the range shown.  Yet, its still slow, and especially when a two way connection is in process alike to streaming on Netfix.  Since it can't run VOIP, and it cant do any interactive internet gaming I would imagine its these two way communication things just do not wokr well.  I feel for you man.

Liz

Good morning jreedbum,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community!

After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Mar 9, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #110064791 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning jreedbum,

Just checking in on you. I see you rescheduled your site visit to Monday, hope it went well! In addition, engineering rolled out an update a few nights ago to also help with performance. Please monitor your system and let us know how it goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

The technician at the site visit tried to be helpful and actually substantially improved the download to where it should be.  However, he was not knowledgeable about fixing the upload speed ad couldn't do anything about that.  I stopped by the house this afternoon to check and the upload speed still averages about one-sixth of the advertised level.  This is not acceptable performance for my needs.  I think the billing credit should continue until the problem is fixed.

Hi jreedbum,

Thanks for your patience while engineering worked to address network performance. The capacity expansion has been completed as of 4/4 on your beam. Please let us know how your internet experience is so far.

Hi jreedbum,

Thank you for your update, glad to hear the download speeds improved. Regarding the upload speeds, I've sent over your feedback to engineering so they are aware. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page, I will soon send you a PM to further address your concerns.

Good morning jreedbum,

Thanks for your patience while engineering continues to address network performance. New hardware has been installed at your gateway. The next step is for engineering to expand your beam's capacity. Once we hear this is completed, we'll let you know so you can monitor your system performance for any difference in upload speeds. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.