cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type of Modem cable & connectors used?

pbca04
Freshman

Type of Modem cable & connectors used?

I'm moving my tv and the current cable is not long enough to reach my TV wall mount.  I need to know what type of cable is used so that I might add an extension.

Thxs

Cate

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Type of Modem cable & connectors used?

Hopefully the reps here (@Liz or @Remy ), or a fellow subscriber such as @GabeU  will be able to help you with this. 

GabeU

@pbca04 

Are you referring to a LAN cable connection between your TV and the HughesNet modem?  If so, you can use a standard Cat6 Ethernet cable with RG45 connectors.  I wouldn't add another to extend it though.  I would just get a longer cable.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Hi pbca04,

I'm trying to better understand your desired setup, can you please elaborate? The coaxial cable is what connects the radio (on the dish) to the modem. Ethernet cables connect whatever device you want to hardwired to the modem, like a computer or in some cases, a smart TV.

Does your TV connect to the internet? 

How did your TV normally connect to the internet? Wired or wirelessly?

If the concern is with a weaker wifi signal strengh if you move the TV farther from the modem, that could be resolved with a wifi booster to extend the wifi range. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

pbca04
Freshman

I'm talking about the coaxial cable that connects from the Sattelite to the Modem.  It's too short if I move the TV to the wall mount 10'-15' away.  The cable will not reach.  I use a wifi connection for all devices.

A wifi booster would b of no use if the cable doesn't connect to the modem.  It's too short.

Thxs

Cate

GabeU

@pbca04 

You keep mentioning the TV, but so far you've not explained why it is you need to move the HughesNet modem.  If everything connects via WiFi, including your TV, why is there need to move the modem?

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Professor

It's not clear to us what you mean when the satellite cable is too short when you move the TV. The TV and the satellite (internet) modem are two separate, unconnected boxes. Perhaps if you explained what the relationship is between the TV and internet modem.

Or, maybe you're confusing the internet modem with the satellite TV receiver box?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Liz

Good morning pbca04,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!