Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

Anyone else on ES19 having a speed issue tonight that normally doesn't have one like this?  I know of at least one other person, and possibly two.   

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972 

Capture.JPG

23 REPLIES 23
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It's those dang Amazon and Walmart Christmas shoppers! Count my wife among them, lol.

I normally have slow prime time speeds but at least they are consistent. But tonight has to take the cake at 317 kbps. Things had been better for the last week but starting last night they went downhill fast.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

It's those dang Amazon and Walmart Christmas shoppers! Count my wife among them, lol.

Hadn't thought of that.  Darn shoppers!!!!  😛 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

Hadn't thought of that.  Darn shoppers!!!!  😛 

Bad on Gen 4 relatively good beam/gateway also.

Capture.PNG

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Up and down. Is peak hours plus Christmas shopping time. And is satellite after all, we all know the limitations (I think).

Capture.PNG

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just popped this number. Like I say, up and down peak time. Seems you folks on the new satellite are not immune either. Could be choking at the gateways. We do share much of those.

Capture.PNG

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Pretty sure it's gateway congestion, similar to what was seen with ES-17 early on when they couldn't expand gateway capacity fast enough to meet demand... Mods have been going around stating they are adding capacity to the system, though, which gateways that applies to is in the air.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Up and down. Is peak hours plus Christmas shopping time.

While that's certainly in play, I don't think that the only thing in play.  The way it dropped so much all at once...that's really odd.  It wasn't anywhere near this slow on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.  

With that said, I just ran a test and it's back up in the 30s for me.  

What I'm wondering is if, to increase capacity at the beams/gateways that are having issues, they have to reduce it elsewhere.  I don't know if that's the way it works, but it seems plausible.  Whatever is going on, it started yesterday evening for me.

With all of that said, when it was as low as it was, things took a bit longer, but I wasn't greatly affected.  If I had to download something sizeable or was trying to watch a youtube vid it would have been a different story, but that wasn't the case.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

All about the server and pipe capacity at the gateways from my meager knowledge. The satellites are just a conduit to space and back, they have lots of throughput capacity. I really think any slowdowns are more on the ground side of things.

Does take time to add servers and especially cable/fiber capacity at the gateways.

GabeU

No doubt, and that's where I'm a little fuzzy.  I don't know how the satellite handles the beams, and if any of the throughput on the satellite itself can be altered.  Like if all spot beams have an individual, set throughput that never changes, or a group of beams that use a certain gateway can have their throughput changed, whether individually or as a whole.  Or, if some throughput can be taken from a set of beams that utilize a certain gateway and that throughput be given to a different set of beams.  That kind of thing.  

I know that the ground based infrastructure is separate, and all kinds of things can be done with that, but I don't know how the satellite itself exactly works, and what, if anything, can be altered once it's up there.    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

No doubt, and that's where I'm a little fuzzy.  I don't know how the satellite handles the beams, and if any of the throughput on the satellite itself can be altered.  Like if all spot beams have an individual, set throughput that never changes, or a group of beams that use a certain gateway can have their throughput changed, whether individually or as a whole.  Or, if some throughput can be taken from a set of beams that utilize a certain gateway and that throughput be given to a different set of beams.  That kind of thing.  

I know that the ground based infrastructure is separate, and all kinds of things can be done with that, but I don't know how the satellite itself exactly works, and what, if anything, can be altered once it's up there.    

And that is where the "have to kill you" knowledge comes in. Smiley Wink

Do believe the satellites are smart enough to balance the throughput. As in if a beam has low use then the main focus goes to the higher taxed beam(s). Not a fixed throughput on the beams. Could be talking out of my **bleep** also.

GabeU

BirdDog wrote: 

Do believe the satellites are smart enough to balance the throughput. As in if a beam has low use then the main focus goes to the higher taxed beam(s). Not a fixed throughput on the beams. Could be talking out of my **bleep** also.

You're probably right.  It would make sense for it to automatically adjust like that to even the load at any given time.  

Okay, we're back to your wife and other shoppers.  Tell her I said thanks for the slow speeds!  😛 

They may have also been working on things. My mail biff, which updates once every 5', was having issues connecting to the mail server. That's usually an indication of work going on in the background.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

a. We know. We've seen it all over the forum.

b. You're not being ignored, you just think you are.

They're working it. Seriously. There are 17 gateways dispersed across the US, and 97 distinct beams.

Chill. Out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@r3wt wrote:

Been having speed issues for a while now. on Beam 079. Been begging for support and just get ignored. Issue persists and remains unfixed. 

We know that you've been having issues. My purpose of this thread was asking if other ES19 people were having a speed issue last evening that normally don't have such.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@r3wt wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

@r3wt wrote:

Been having speed issues for a while now. on Beam 079. Been begging for support and just get ignored. Issue persists and remains unfixed. 

We know that you've been having issues. My purpose of this thread was asking if other ES19 people were having a speed issue last evening that normally don't have such.  

I'm sorry man, i'm just frustrated. Other people seem to enjoy streaming and other aspects of HughesNet Gen5 service, yet we've had 1 issue after another since we signed up in July. We've chose up until this point to simply suck it up and forget about trying to stream anything since it isn't working, but now normal internet browsing is messed up as well, and i am asking for help repeatedly and it seems as though i'm being ignored. 

Plug a single computer directly into the modem and leave it that way. Turn off the WiFi completely, see if any better . Leave it that way for at least few days.

What do you see when you go here? All green checkmarks like pic below?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Capture.PNG

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Curious...  What do you get when you perform the modems internal speedtest?  You can find it under the HT2000w Modem Advanced Configuration page > General > Lan Speed Test...

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That's actually pretty low...  Headed out right now, but when home I will test.  I seem to remember getting a good bit more than that on the test, even on wifi.

Indeed.

On 5GHz wifi (WPA2, 802.11a/n/ac, 20/40/80) my LAN throughput is 171.94Mbps. I assume LAN cable is similar.

On 2.4GHz wifi (WPA2, 802.11b/g/n, 20/40) is much worse at only 13.94Mbps.