cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

Re: Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

All about the server and pipe capacity at the gateways from my meager knowledge. The satellites are just a conduit to space and back, they have lots of throughput capacity. I really think any slowdowns are more on the ground side of things.

Does take time to add servers and especially cable/fiber capacity at the gateways.

Assistant Professor

No doubt, and that's where I'm a little fuzzy.  I don't know how the satellite handles the beams, and if any of the throughput on the satellite itself can be altered.  Like if all spot beams have an individual, set throughput that never changes, or a group of beams that use a certain gateway can have their throughput changed, whether individually or as a whole.  Or, if some throughput can be taken from a set of beams that utilize a certain gateway and that throughput be given to a different set of beams.  That kind of thing.  

I know that the ground based infrastructure is separate, and all kinds of things can be done with that, but I don't know how the satellite itself exactly works, and what, if anything, can be altered once it's up there.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Teaching Assistant

GabeU wrote:

No doubt, and that's where I'm a little fuzzy.  I don't know how the satellite handles the beams, and if any of the throughput on the satellite itself can be altered.  Like if all spot beams have an individual, set throughput that never changes, or a group of beams that use a certain gateway can have their throughput changed, whether individually or as a whole.  Or, if some throughput can be taken from a set of beams that utilize a certain gateway and that throughput be given to a different set of beams.  That kind of thing.  

I know that the ground based infrastructure is separate, and all kinds of things can be done with that, but I don't know how the satellite itself exactly works, and what, if anything, can be altered once it's up there.    

And that is where the "have to kill you" knowledge comes in. Smiley Wink

Do believe the satellites are smart enough to balance the throughput. As in if a beam has low use then the main focus goes to the higher taxed beam(s). Not a fixed throughput on the beams. Could be talking out of my **bleep** also.

Assistant Professor

BirdDog wrote: 

Do believe the satellites are smart enough to balance the throughput. As in if a beam has low use then the main focus goes to the higher taxed beam(s). Not a fixed throughput on the beams. Could be talking out of my **bleep** also.

You're probably right.  It would make sense for it to automatically adjust like that to even the load at any given time.  

Okay, we're back to your wife and other shoppers.  Tell her I said thanks for the slow speeds!  Smiley Tongue 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Adjunct Instructor

They may have also been working on things. My mail biff, which updates once every 5', was having issues connecting to the mail server. That's usually an indication of work going on in the background.

Senior

Been having speed issues for a while now. on Beam 079. Been begging for support and just get ignored. Issue persists and remains unfixed. 

Tags (1)
Adjunct Instructor

a. We know. We've seen it all over the forum.

b. You're not being ignored, you just think you are.

They're working it. Seriously. There are 17 gateways dispersed across the US, and 97 distinct beams.

Chill. Out.

Assistant Professor

r3wt wrote:

Been having speed issues for a while now. on Beam 079. Been begging for support and just get ignored. Issue persists and remains unfixed. 

We know that you've been having issues. My purpose of this thread was asking if other ES19 people were having a speed issue last evening that normally don't have such.  

Senior

MarkJFine wrote:

a. We know. We've seen it all over the forum.

b. You're not being ignored, you just think you are.

They're working it. Seriously. There are 17 gateways dispersed across the US, and 97 distinct beams.

Chill. Out.

Well, how on earth would i possibly know that? i've been posting for weeks and only received one reply and it was a canned response yesterday from @Liz I am simply tired of posting over and over and over while being ignored. Sheesh. 

Senior

GabeU wrote:

r3wt wrote:

We know that you've been having issues. My purpose of this thread was asking if other ES19 people were having a speed issue last evening that normally don't have such.  

I'm sorry man, i'm just frustrated. Other people seem to enjoy streaming and other aspects of HughesNet Gen5 service, yet we've had 1 issue after another since we signed up in July. We've chose up until this point to simply suck it up and forget about trying to stream anything since it isn't working, but now normal internet browsing is messed up as well, and i am asking for help repeatedly and it seems as though i'm being ignored.