Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

Anyone else on ES19 having a speed issue tonight that normally doesn't have one like this?  I know of at least one other person, and possibly two.   

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972 

Capture.JPG

23 REPLIES 23
GabeU

LAN cable to desktop...

LAN Speed Test Desktop.JPG

2.4GHz WiFi to laptop (WPA2, 802.11b/g/n, 20MHz)...

LAN Speed Test Inspiron WiFi.JPG

I often have to "toggle" the 2.4GHz WiFi in the HT2000W to get the WiFi speed up, or it sticks at around 25Mbps. I usually just alternate back and forth between "b/g/n 20MHz" and "n 20/40MHz".  The speed will drop back down to around 25Mbps after ten or fifteen minutes, so if I need it higher I have to toggle it that often.  Normally the 25Mbps is enough, so I don't usually bother with it, though I do when there's a large Windows update or I need to download something sizable for my laptop.  I don't have anything, other than my TV, which can utilize the 5GHz band.    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Happy my old HT1100 has no built in router. Wasn't a fan of them including one in the new modem but hey, they did it anyway. Would love to have been on that decision meeting.

Do understand they are trying to make things even more simple for the masses.

GabeU

No doubt.  I only use the HT2000W's WiFi as I don't use my laptop very much, and it's easier than connecting my Netgear router when I do (I don't like keeping it connected, or even there, if I don't use it much).  If I start doing more of the streaming, like I was talking about in my other thread, I may very well ditch the built in WiFi and use my Netgear router.  And with my own router I wouldn't have to be messing around with the settings to get the speed back up, as it would always be as high as it can be.