cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access URL with port :2087

JamesGen5Biz
Freshman

Unable to access URL with port :2087

I'm trying to access the control panel for a web server (ie www.webserverurl.com:2087) when there is a port in the URL. Haven't had issues with this on other networks. But I'm on Hughesnet Gen5 Business with a static IP and unable to access this URL. Says the site cannot be reached. 

Is there something blocking :2087?  I've disabled the local firewall, then also enabled, tried to open ports, etc, rebooted, nothing has worked.

Is it possible to open that port or another fix to get to that type of URL?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Unable to access URL with port :2087

@JamesGen5Biz 

You may very well have better luck contacting HughesNet Business Support at 800-347-3272.  

Though another customer who sees this may have some ideas, being that this community is primarily for residential subscribers it's likely that the HughesNet Reps themselves who provide support here will not be able to help.  You never know though.  Still, the support at that number may be better equipped to help with the issue.  

Good luck.  🙂

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

I think the only port they block is 25 for email security purposes, so it's not a port problem.

Whenever I run into something like this I almost automatically assume it's a corrupted DNS that's causing the problem. Try rebooting the modem and see if it unclogs it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
JamesGen5Biz
Freshman

Tech support was saying if it's a port issue, I will have to do some port forwarding/port mapping.

In this case, port 2087.  Although he wouldn't tell me over the phone - they require a $79 fee or something and they'll set it up over remote desktop. Frustrating.

I'm in the port mapping on the router, and I know  my local IP and know the port, but then it wants a LAN Port. I've tried setting that to 2087, I also tried some other ports found on netstat like 135, 445, etc but not sure how to identify my LAN port.

Attaching screenshot if anyone has a clue or has done this before:

port.JPG

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

No clue how or even if port mapping actually works on that modem. It doesn't for residential customers. Sorry.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Michael57
Senior

I don't think that's right.  Port forwarding/mapping is generally for incoming traffic, but you are trying to go outbound to a webserver listing on port 2087.  If you were going to host a webserver listening on port 2087 you'd do these steps, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are doing.

You said you disabled the "local" firewall, what do you mean by local?  The one on your computer, the one on the router, something else?  Have you tried connecting to that address on a different device?

JamesGen5Biz
Freshman

I thought the same thing. The tech said port mapping. I feel like Ive done this before like with xbox or gaming servers like back in the day, had to open up ports on a router, but can't recall how.

But yeah this seems like if I were hosting a web server or something. But I'm just trying to ACCESS a server using a specific port. Just like FTP or other services you usually have to open up. 

Very strange. Other devices can't reach the server. But when I leave the house and on normal verizon I can reach server just fine.  So it's something with hughesnet and that port. 

For the firewall, there's a firewall section in the router admin that was enabled. I tried disabling and that did nothing. The tech said the firewall is just to protect people from accessing my equipment, etc. Shouldn't have to do with outgoing.

Who knows, I may just have to pay the fee and watch them do something very simple to get this to work.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Did you try rebooting the modem to clear the cached DNS like I said?

JamesGen5Biz
Freshman

Yes, rebooted several times. Also unplugged, plugged to fully reset. no luck.  I'll keep messing with settings, it's something with that 2087 port.

Also, I got the biz package with static IP so I could VPN into a client (that opens up your IP addy for access) and that doesn't work. Tech said the latency is too high for most VPN systems to work properly. Ugh!

Michael57
Senior

Is this a new website/domain you are trying to reach?  Either way, it could be a DNS issue, but one that is specific to Hughes and not just your router.(it's just more likely to be the case if the website is new, because it can take time to propogate the new DNS entries across the internet).  You can try changing the DNS in your router to not use the Hughes DNS and instead use something like Open DNS.  The addresses you can enter are: 208.67.222.222  and 208.67.220.123.  You'll likely have to flush your DNS on your local machine and clear your browser cache too after you make that change.  If you lose internet connectivity, be ready to switch that back.

For VPN, actually you probably would need to setup Port Mappings to VPN into your network.  Your VPN server software will be listening on some port and your Router would have your "public" static IP address, but that address represents your entire network as each computer inside your network has only private addresses.  So your "remote" client will hit your router on a specific port, but the router needs to know to forward that to your VPN server, and that's where the Port Mappings come in.

It would be setup like the following

1. LAN IP Address: Is the IP address of the machine running the VPN server software (you can make that always be the same thing via the LAN DHCP page where you can make the router always give it the same address)

2. Protocol Type: This is probably best to setup for both TCP and UDP, though your VPN software documentation might have the specifics

3. Public Port: This is the port that your remote client uses to try to reach your VPN server.

4. LAN Port: This is the port that your VPN Server software (which is running at the IP address specified for #1) is lisenting on.

Often 3 and 4 are the same value, but they don't have to be.

Now I don't know if HughesNet is performant enough for the connection to stick, but that should at least allow your traffic to flow from your remote client to your VPN Server.  However, if your router is somehow blocking sending on non standard ports (like 2807) you may have to configure your VPN software to use common ports like 80 or 443 in order for your router to not block the traffic your VPN Server is sending back, until that is figured out.