Hughesnet Community

Unable to achieve download speeds > 1Mbps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rancourtr

Unable to achieve download speeds > 1Mbps

I have worked with technical support and have not been able to fix download speed issues. I have tried rebooting router, modem, computer, performed numerous download speed tests which all confirm I have issues that are not hardware related as speed issues appear to be time related. As far as I can tell, logic would dictate if you have a hardware issue it would be present 24/7. Tech is scheduled for tomorrow, but not pleased as I am being charged for service call despite equipment being under warranty and express service monthly payment for coverage.
99 REPLIES 99
rancourtr

rancourtr

Chart pretty much sums up the issue. I doubt equipment would cause this issue
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I see that 18.42 Mbps on the 15th at 11:36 PM so also believe your equipment is capable. You probably have a beam/gateway issue that can be corrected. Hopefully.

Can you post some afternoon tests?
rancourtr

rancourtr

These were taken once we arrived at the cabin. I'll be taking some more throughout the day as well. When we were here over he Xmas break it continues to degrade throughout the day.
rancourtr

Technician out, no hardware issues, adequate signal......remains a mystery.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Can you verify that those tests were done with a direct connect so that we may rule out any router firmware based "load leveling" ?
rancourtr

According to hughes tech that was onsite using his equipment there is no reason for the slow speeds on my end and was able to duplicate download issues. We called tech support together and supposedly an engineer is going to call back. It was direct connect. It's weird that speeds seem ok circa 1:00 am thru 6:00 am. The graph above says it all.
rancourtr

Direct connect
rancourtr

So so frustrating to be unable to get any work done even with their platinum super duty $129.99 a month service. Best I can muster is 1.1Mbps. Ugh!!
rancourtr

Only an $85 service charge to confirm its not on my end.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

In the area where Im in NE Oklahoma they over sold the Ultra plan and my speed dropped like yours, the only way to get it back was to go to a lower plan now I have my speed back, maybe they can try changing your plan on a temp basis to see if thats the case with yours
rancourtr

Thanks. I have tried every plan they offer. I even tried to get them to diconnect all together and reset the account on their end as a last resort. Technical support was unable to do it and referred me to billing department. Billing department can only suspend service, not shut off account and reauthorize modem. It's a problem on their end according to the tech. Since this is a cabin and were are here a few times a month, this will likely drag on for a while.
Liz

Good morning rancourtr,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your speed test results. We can certainly help address your concerns. We will run remote diagnostics on your site to determine if there is anything up with the HughesNet equipment and their connection to the satellite. In the case that your diagnostics are fine, I'll go ahead an escalate your case to our engineers, after which we will keep you posted here in your thread.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Carson Noma

Liz, your customer rancourtr should be refunded her $85 service visit charge.  You at least know enough at this point that she should not be responsible for this.  You have been unable to deliver the service that she is paying for.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Welcome to the fun of Hughesnet rancourtr.  Remember, their favorite saying is "our speeds aren't guaranteed".  As long as you can connect and download something, they don't really care about speed.   Good luck. 
rancourtr

I haven't seen my statement, but the technical support supervisor indicated they would be crediting my account for the service call. It truly is a mystery. Good signal and equipment works - but only in the middle of the night. Tech support follow scripted responses and aren't very good at diagnosing problems. Common sense would dictate its not equipment if advertised speeds are achieved at points during a 24 hour period. Hardware issues are generally there 24/7. It acts like I am up against my data cap, but they have verified it's not the issue. Only have used a small amount mainly running speed tests. Forget getting work done using my VPN as that decreases speeds even further.
rancourtr

Thank you Liz. I appreciate your help.
rancourtr

It will get resolved at some point. I suspect if they terminated the service and reset as a new account, the problem would go away. Seems like an easy request to reinitalize the account, but it hasn't happend yet. I wish they would humor me and give it a try.