Hughesnet Community

Unable to achieve download speeds > 1Mbps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rancourtr

Unable to achieve download speeds > 1Mbps

I have worked with technical support and have not been able to fix download speed issues. I have tried rebooting router, modem, computer, performed numerous download speed tests which all confirm I have issues that are not hardware related as speed issues appear to be time related. As far as I can tell, logic would dictate if you have a hardware issue it would be present 24/7. Tech is scheduled for tomorrow, but not pleased as I am being charged for service call despite equipment being under warranty and express service monthly payment for coverage.
99 REPLIES 99
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
rancourtr

Engineering support called this morning and they are remotely reconfiguring the modem (so I am told). Another 7 hour round trip next weekend to confirm the fix. I'll update progress on Saturday.

Liz - please check on your end to see if what they are proposing has any chance of working. I am not sure how a "modem setting" would cause problems at only certain times. I would prefer not to make another trip again. Last weekend was a wasted trip to meet the on site tech to tell me I didn't have a hardware problem. (Something I said from the beginning. Computers can't tell if the sun is out-hardware problems generally are 24/7 or intermittent. This speed issue is predictable and recurring based on time of day.) thank you!
Liz

Hi rancourtr,

I would hold off on going to the cabin to check. I don't have feedback from my engineering team yet for you.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Craig Sharp

their sales people LIE it will never delver promised peed or quality. that's why i'm shopping around. why pay for this joke of a service.
Craig Sharp

speed ^
rancourtr

While it is a correct statement regarding no guarantee of speed, there is however an expectation of customary level of service that has been communicated to me of 60-70% of advertised speed. Clearly receiving 10% of advertised speed 20 out of a 24 hour period is unacceptable.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You are correct rancourtr, the last status Liz posted yesterday is the engineers are still looking into it. My experience is it can take awhile once they are involved. Try to be patient especially since you aren't at the cabin that much.

Liz actually escalated your case very quickly.
Liz

As long as we have the needed info to escalate, we can do so. The big thing we just need from the subscriber are correctly performed speed tests. 

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

rancourtr

00052466273 Unsatisfactory download speeds
Was this post resolved? Seems like you resolved their issue. The speed tests/issue was confirmed by on site Hughesnet technician on Saturday. Please let me know if there are any additional tests that are needed on my end. I wasn't sure if your post implied I needed to do additional "correct tests". Thanks. You have been much more helpful than the phone support!
Liz

Oh, no, sorry, I wasn't implying that you did them incorrectly, just the opposite. Since you had your test results ready to go, I just had to send those up along with your diagnostics.

🙂

-Liz

Liz

Hi rancourtr,

Just got an update from engineering: they are currently investigating your beam for performance concerns. Once I receive any other news, I will let you know.

Thank you again for your patience, I've credited your account for one month of service.

-Liz

rancourtr

Thanks for the update. I will be onsite Friday night through Sunday afternoon if they need me to run any tests etc. I will be available via my contact number in my account information.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Depending what the storm does at the NOC in Germantown this weekend may not be good for them.
Liz

Good morning, thank you for letting me know. No more tests needed, I think it's still early to re-evaluate your performance. I'll keep you in the loop.

-Liz

rancourtr

Clearly not fixed, first test was 517Kbps down and 643Kbps up
rancourtr

rancourtr

Looks like I may need to have the installer for Exede check their signal in our area. Even worse than last week. Will retest at 2:15 AM and see. I suspect speed will be back over 5Mbps
rancourtr

rancourtr

Just like clockwork-speeds are back up. I hope I am wrong, but it appears it is oversold bandwidth. No other possible solutions make logical sense. Modem software issue would be there 24/7. I hope I am wrong, but problem is consistent. Posted times are two hours off. Last test times are 1:00 Am
rancourtr

Here's from this afternoon - note times are off by 2:00. A tale of two service level. Not sure how you can fix this one, but will be patient for a bit longer. Great service if you are Dracula! Some of us need to work during the day.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I had similar problem six months ago, took about a month and half to get it fixed. I could still browse just fine but downloading or streaming anything was pretty much impossible. Has been fine since the fix.

Try to be patient. If it is fixable they will fix it. A lot has to do with balancing the beam and gateway, and possibly even the servers which actually connect to the internet on the ground side, which is a long process.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/bit-by-the-slow-daytime-and-nighttime-speed-bug