Unable to go to websites on computer or phone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Unable to go to websites on computer or phone

I use Linux Mate 20 . I use Firefox , Chrome browsers. I have an android phone. I cannot access some websites now for 3 days. For example a food co-op Azure Standard. Others load quickly, no problem. If all computer and phone browsers have the same problem,with the same few sites, I am thinking it might be the isp? The results are the same, the site does the handshake, yet after that , it keeps trying to continue , then the site times out. Could there be an isp problem?.
71 REPLIES 71
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ecoalex2 

I would try disabling the IPv6 in your Linux computer to see if you have the same success as Nacomas3.  The following site shows how to disable it, as well as re-enable it.  I'd use the GRUB method, as it looks to be easier, but that's up to you.    

https://www.explorelinux.com/how-and-why-to-disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu/

I should add that these are instructions for Ubuntu.  I don't know if other Linux distros would use the same method.

It is odd that one puter with mint 19 doesn't load mediaite.com , but does load democracticunderground.com , whilst the mint 20 puter loads mediaite.com but not democraticunderground.com . The 19 will not load wikipedia, the 20 does load wikipedia.. I checked the networking set-ups, Ipv4 set-up is blank, Ipv6 set-up are both partially filled in. I have a problem with changing the computer settings, when they worked for years. It seems to me something changed on the Hughes end on beam 19. I feel Hughes has the problem, not my Linux settings which have worked for the 10 years I have used Linux. I never had to change the Ipv settings. At least the techs got my Azure site to operate well. Perhaps since the problem is just a few sites, the rest work fine, they could find the problem, why were they able to fix the Azure site, and not the others? and both Linux puters have different failures? I just don't believe the problem is on my end. Thanks for your suggestion re: changing the Ipv settings. It seems counter intuitive.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ecoalex2 

I understand.  I was just thinking as a troubleshooting step to help narrow down the cause.  

Good morning ecoalex,

Thank you for your patience, our engineers are still actively investigating this. Should I have further questions or instructions for you, I'll post them here. 

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Morning Liz 🙂 Thanks for the update.It seems to be inconsistent with 2 Linux puters one can load one site, the other not and visa versa. The editions of Mint (Ubuntu) are different; Vers 19.3 and 20. Thanks again.

Hooray ! It appears my site connectivity problem was found and addressed;) Tomorrow morning I will test again, if all goes well, I will send kudos to all 😉 Hope to see ya'll tomorrow with the good news 😉 nitey nite 😉

Hooray! it appears the fix to my problem is working 🙂 All links load:) Thanks to Liz, and crew for their persistence to solve my problem 😉 Have A Great Day All 🙂

Wonderful, thank you for the confirmation ecoalex!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

ecoalex,

Thank you for providing us with the traceroute information! I'm being told that the engineers have made a couple adjustments. Please attempt to access the website, and when it likely times out, please refresh the page. It should hopefully let you through at that point!

Thanks,

Remy